Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up on my three months Sirius XM subscription that came with my car. They called today and offered me 6 months for $30. I declined and they offered me 3 months for $2. If that was the real price, I might consider service for $8 a year. Maybe. But both required auto renewal (which could be cancelled) at the full price after expiration of the special offer. Declined again.

Yup, Sirius was convenient at times, but I seldom used it. Mostly when I was too lazy to hook up my phone and the local radio station programs didn't interest me. Mind you, I'd never had it before, nor read anything about it, but it was clear that the sound quality sucked on my base sound system in my car. Turns out everyone knew this already. Every streaming app is far better, and of course my ripped music.

So I just said no.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Called me once for my old car too, but I just kept saying no. Sure you can cancel the auto renewal before the special offer expires, but if they're anything like phone companies they'll make it as hard as they possibly can for you. Though if they can extend it for a whole year...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’ll chime in as a long time Sirius fan. I love it and happily subscribe. They don’t make it easy to cancel, which I had to do once when I lost a job. But yep... longtime fan here. I subscribe to the online version as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have been a Sirius fan for years, I play the game with them 6 months at a time.

They always have caved in ad given me the deal. I can't imagine paying $15 or $17 a month for it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
When I call to renew for my wife's car, I first ask for the cancellation dept right off the bat! Once there, I simply ask for the 99 buck deal, or cancel the account. I always get the deal! I then ask for the renewal date, put that date in my calendar, well, subtract 7 days, and repeat the process, thus defeating auto renew!

For the Niro, since I have a iPod with over 6 thousand songs on it, I just got the traffic data. $65! In
Los Angeles, a very valuable service. The Niros map system display's real time traffic info!
I actually like the KIA Nav system, best one I have used yet!

SWEET!!!

Sirus has nothing else I want!

·
Registered
452 Posts
They will not stop...ever.

Worse than bill collectors.

Worst of all, they do not have to abide with the Do Not Call list because you have a "previous engagement" with them.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They will not stop...ever.

Worse than bill collectors.

Worst of all, they do not have to abide with the Do Not Call list because you have a "previous engagement" with them.
That is an interesting idea that I considered. I think they would lose in a class action as the buyers of the car entered into no voluntary relationship with them. Consider a dealer placing car wash coupons in your new car. Would they be allowed to give that car wash your phone number and address?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I first had XM Satellite Radio in a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. I liked the "non-commercial" music channels and some of the other specific programming unavailable elsewhere. SO, I took out a "Lifetime Subscription" which at that time was just slightly more than the price for a 2 year subscription. 9 years later it is still working fine! It was actually a "selling feature" I was planning to offer the buyer of my Sonata as I thought the subscription was specifically tied to the Serial Number of a given Radio. At any rate, Sirius/XM called about my Niro the other day and I asked if it was possible to transfer that Lifetime Subscription to my new vehicle. Surprisingly, the answer was YES. So I guess it was for MY Lifetime, not the cars. It will cost $75 to transfer but that is still way less than ongoing subscription renewals.

Alas, Lifetime Subscriptions are no longer offered by Sirius/XM. Guess I've just been "grandfathered" in.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd suggest listening in the Niro for a few days before transferring. The sucky audio quality may be more noticeable in a newer car. But if you liked in the Sonata, you'll probably be OK in the Niro. Personally, if they offered me a lifetime subscription for $75, I'd turn them down. Zero cost streaming from a cell phone, and far better quality.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I call to renew for my wife's car, I first ask for the cancellation dept right off the bat! Once there, I simply ask for the 99 buck deal, or cancel the account. I always get the deal! I then ask for the renewal date, put that date in my calendar, well, subtract 7 days, and repeat the process, thus defeating auto renew!

For the Niro, since I have a iPod with over 6 thousand songs on it, I just got the traffic data. $65! In
Los Angeles, a very valuable service. The Niros map system display's real time traffic info!
I actually like the KIA Nav system, best one I have used yet!

SWEET!!!

Sirus has nothing else I want!
You can get real time traffic info with automatic rerouting etc using Google Maps and/or Waze through Android Auto and it's completely free.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are pros and cons to both Sirius XM and phone streaming. One being using google/waze/apple maps, etc. that you need to have a good cell signal to work for real-time traffic. Sirius seems to work either way since its satellite data. Also having an unlimited data plan for your phone would be a con for some people.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are pros and cons to both Sirius XM and phone streaming. One being using google/waze/apple maps, etc. that you need to have a good cell signal to work for real-time traffic. Sirius seems to work either way since its satellite data. Also having an unlimited data plan for your phone would be a con for some people.
It's not an option for everyone depending on their geographical region, but T-Mobile is technically unlimited on any post-paid account. While the 4G/LTE portion of the plan may be limited - my family plan is capped at 2.5gb for 4G/LTE - T-Mobile then lowers you to unlimited 3G, which is typically strong enough to run the necessary functions of any maps app.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Indeed. A couple years ago I signed up for Tmobile for just a few weeks to use the free data (which I think was 2G) in Europe. Map apps worked fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts