Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SiriusXM trial period on my Kia Niro ends in the next week. They called me several times and sent me lots of mails to do a monthly payment of ~5$ for a year and afterward pay a higher rate.

I am looking for a good music/radio option in the car. It seems that some apps e.g. spotify, amazon unlimited music cannot be installed directly on the car and it needs connecting phone and afterward, running app via the Android Auto. I am using trial period on them to see which one would be better. Any suggestion? After the trial period, the monthly cost will be ~8-10$.

PS: In case of using multiple apps via Android Auto e.g. map and music together, in case of observing some issues while driving e.g. connection issue (usb cable or mobile signal), the LCD might switch from map to the music app (it happened one time while driving). I prefer to have music app in the background and have the map in the LCD while driving.

·
Premium Member
2020 Kia Niro EX Premium
52 Posts
My experience with SiriusXM is they often quote a monthly price of around $24/mo. I told them that I really liked the app but I could not afford such an exorbitant price. After running through a bunch of offers and counters we settled on $5/mo. May have got it back to the introductory rate of $2/mo. but as I said, I like the service and listen to it via my iPhone and ISOtune Free earplugs whenever I need sound canceling, etc.
I find it superior to Amazon Music and the others.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
I've been successful getting SXM to continue my $60 per year ($5 per month) for two years now. In fact, last year I didn't even have to talk to someone. The phone tree offered me the option without even talking to a breathing person :D. Even though I only listen to a small handful of stations (5-6 tops), I'm satisfied with it for $5 per month. But I would not pay their full monthly rate. Too much for the few channels I listen to, and Pandora is free with occasional commercials. Plus streaming Pandora I have control over what I listen to. After a few thumbs down on a particular band, they never play it again. If SXM ever requires me to pay full price, I'll just drop them and pay Pandora for commercial-less streaming.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I turned them down even when they offered three more months for only one dollar. From standard satellite service, fidelity from the low bit rate sounded bad even in a low-fi car system.

I'm mostly happy just listening to my own large library. A couple times a year I'll get bored and listen to ad supported Pandora. The paid services like Spotify are very popular, but I'd rather own (hate, hate, hate subscriptions). I do listen to NPR stations and podcasts a lot on my phone, both in the car and walking/running/cycling.

If you happen to really like Sirius programming, even there you are better off streaming it from your phone to the car, either Bluetooth or USB cable. Their cost is similar to other paid subscriptions. If you threaten to cancel every year, you will remain on the $5 a month charge. Hassle to do so of course, but they really have to keep their subscriber base up.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
Yeah, they've never called me either. I do get a lot of emails wanting to activate my GTI (daughter's car), but never been called. Of course, I have a block on my phone line that tells the caller we don't accept calls from solicitors, and only if they aren't one they can press 1 to continue. That stopped about 90% of the trash calls. A few still try to get by, but with caller ID we don't answer a number we don't recognize. If it's a legit call, they'll leave a message.

·
Super Moderator
566 Posts
I had a terrible experience with SirriusXM phone calls. I bought two Niro's in Sept 2018 and the Sirrrius was not setup with the vehicles. That I point to the dealership. After two weeks I did call the dealership after reading here that everyone else got the Sat Radio for free trial with the purchase of the car. They contacted Sirrius and they called me and got both cars working with the radio. Great I thought. Then two days later the phone calls started. At first I thought it was Sirrius seeing if the service was working. Nope. it was they doing hard push selling to get me to sign up for monthly billing. I tried to explain to them that they had only just got the service setup for trial two days earlier but that didn't seem to stop them. It got to 2-3 calls a day. After a week I went back to the dealership and told them that I was getting harassed by Sirrius and asked them what to do. The reps from Sirrius who called were being told that I didn't want them to keep calling me yet they would not stop.

I was lucky that there was someone at my dealership who knew someone at Sirrius and got me remvoved from their system. Will never buy from them and zero insterest in their service. I have an ipod that I can use, and now my iphone has music that I can rotate that is more than enough to keep me entertained. Sadly Bluetooth is a pretty sucky way of getting music off the phone but it sure beats dealing with Sirrius.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
While I am in the trial period of the apps, I prefer to go for YouTube music or Spotify (~10$/m), instead of Sirius XM. They seem to have richer database and it is possible to create your own playlist, based on their algos.

Sirius XM offered me 3 month more trial, but after that, the monthly payment will be ~13$ (music only) to 22$ (all access). They sent lots of mails, emails and calls (this is the reason that I think I might not give them my credit card number and would not use the extra trial period). They also say that it may take up to 10 business days that the preferences would get applied.

I think, it is better if a user would have freedom to choose the music/radio app based on the market competition (quality, cost, algo quality to match preference music, etc).

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
I have the All Access for $5 per month, and I am comfortable with that price. It would never be worth much more to me, for as you said there are plenty of other options available. You can use Pandora or Spotify for free, and just tolerate the occasional ad. And their paid service is about the same as I'm paying SXM now, so I would gladly pay that instead. SXM could save money and keep their rates low by getting rid of their on-air personalities (DJs). The vast majority of the time I have zero interest in anything they say. I'm only there for the music, and that's a huge draw for Pandora or Spotify. Probably the single thing that keeps me with SXM (besides the $5 price) is that I don't have to plug my phone in to use it. I don't want to fiddle with the phone every time I get in and out of the car. Since it doesn't do wireless CarPlay, I'd have to connect it to the car every time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts