Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So If I'm pull over a rest stop. Can I leave the engine on and have AC all night with the engine turning on and off to recharge batteries?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sure, just make sure you have enough gas, but it won't use much.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've never done it and I've never heard of that. When the Prius first came out somebody left their Prius at the long term parking at PHL and forgot to turn it off. When they came back a week later their car was the only one without snow on it. It ran for a week and kept the car toasty warm LOL.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring HEV
111 Posts
I've only read posts where it worked fine. If this was true, the same would happen while driving too.
I don't think so. They're two very different conditions (driving/moving and parked with engine running). LOTS of things work differently, from displaying warnings on, so there's certainly the ability to allow/disallow or do/not do certain things depending on whether you're driving or not. No one would EVER want the engine to stop after any period of time if you're driving along. But it might make sense to turn off a parked car after a period of time, to save gas, etc., assuming the person left the car on by accident (probably the vast majority of times it happens) as the operator can easily turn it on again (maybe not when they're sleeping, admittedly).

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
You are making up possibilities out of thin air. The car knows it is on, it doesn't check further and nanny your decision. Warnings will still be displayed as needed. The engine will only turn on as required to replenish the traction battery or fill a heat call.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The car does not turn off after 2 hours.

2 weeks ago I was sent to a local clinic for a COVID test. My mother-in-law had the same symptoms I had so she came with me, but was going to stay in my Niro until they figured out what was going on.

2 1/2 hours later I was released with a negative COVID test but a very bad case of bronchitis. The Niro sat the entire time with the A/C cranking and the keys were inside the clinic in my pocket.

Modern automobiles are designed and tested to sit at idle with the A/C maxed out with ambient temps of over 100 degrees for hours non stop. The same tests are done in sub freezing weather as well. It would not be good in a situation where you are stranded in a blizzard and your car turns itself off every 2 hours.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It won't work on my 2020 Kia Niro EV. After about 5 min. everything shuts off.
In my 18 hybrid:
If the engine is turned off, the AUX system [radio, lights, outlet] stays on for about 5 minutes or until drivers door opens.
I've sat for over 1 hr. waiting during an appt. in wintertime with the engine running.

My 2¢ worth, change given on request.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring HEV
111 Posts
Yeah, I think it's great: in our 2019 Niro HEV I can sit outside while my wife is at the doctors, or we can eat in the car from takeout, etc. and just leave the car "on". Meaning it runs for a bit every so often, and keeps us cool or warm as required all the while. So much better than an engine that runs all the time, or getting uncomfortable in the weather.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That means you're in ACC mode. The car isn't actually "on".
2019 PHEV with me & keys still in the car:
So, I'm a bit confused by this. I've on more than one occasion, during the summer when it's hot enough to leave the AC running, driven up to a Level 2 charger and plugged-in to initiate charging with the car still "ON" in "Park" and the AC will run for about 5 minutes (I haven't actually clocked the duration) and then stop cooling (compressor stops), even though the fan is still running.
Do I need to physically press the button to force the engine to stay in HEV mode? It's confusing since the AC will function in EV mode when the car is in "Drive."

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,231 Posts
The 2019 PHEV will not charge and cool the interior at the same time. I've tested it multiple ways. The HVAC fan remains on, but the A/C compressor does not operate. The car will charge with the car "on", but the A/C will not cool. I have no idea if it will start the car for heat, as I was testing it during the summer months.

Remember, if you press the "start" button, but your foot is not on the brake, the car doesn't actually "start". You are in ACC mode at that time. For the A/C to work, you must have your foot on the brake when you press the start button. Then the car is "on" and everything is available. But if the car is on and you connect the charge cable, charging will commence, but the A/C compressor will not run and within a few minutes you no longer have cool air coming from the vents. I even tried with the car off, locking myself inside, then activated the remote A/C via the app. Again, the fan started but no cold air.

My comments are specific to the 2019 PHEV. The EV might be different, and a different model year PHEV might be different.

·
Registered
211 Posts
2019 PHEV with me & keys still in the car:
So, I'm a bit confused by this. I've on more than one occasion, during the summer when it's hot enough to leave the AC running, driven up to a Level 2 charger and plugged-in to initiate charging with the car still "ON" in "Park" and the AC will run for about 5 minutes (I haven't actually clocked the duration) and then stop cooling (compressor stops), even though the fan is still running.
Do I need to physically press the button to force the engine to stay in HEV mode? It's confusing since the AC will function in EV mode when the car is in "Drive."
If you're plugged into a charger, you can't run the AC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 2019 PHEV will not charge and cool the interior at the same time. I've tested it multiple ways. The HVAC fan remains on, but the A/C compressor does not operate. The car will charge with the car "on", but the A/C will not cool....
Thank you for that clarification.
Also, I hadn't yet tried the App, so you saved me the time.
So many people remain in their vehicles during charging that I'm kind of surprised that Kia didn't create a work-around for this situation.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,231 Posts
Thank you for that clarification.
Also, I hadn't yet tried the App, so you saved me the time.
So many people remain in their vehicles during charging that I'm kind of surprised that Kia didn't create a work-around for this situation.
I completely agree. I've emailed Kia about it but never received a response. Since so many other plug-in vehicles allow charging with the HVAC running, this was a surprise to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts