Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a certified niro hybrid with just 19k kms . Have never driven a hybrid before so this seemed weird to me . When applying the brakes , the car takes a while to stop , the dealer and other frnds said its normal but today i drove the latest 2020 model but didnt feel that issue . Is it the regen systems ? Is it normal ?

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
Yes, you're probably noticing the regen braking. In the Hybrid and PHEV, the regen isn't as powerful as on the EV, because the electric motor is far less powerful. But Kia has done an excellent job of blending the regen and the physical brakes. It's tough to tell when they switchover. But if you press firmer/harder on the brake pedal, you'll engage the physical brakes faster, and your stopping should be more "normal". I tend to use regen as much as possible, as that's the way to maximize your fuel economy. Just plan your stops a bit further in advance and take advantage of the system.

·
Registered
323 Posts
What worries me is that driving the newer same type of hybrid you notice a difference. The brakes in my PHEV do feel different than in my old Camery, but I've never felt that I couldn't stop in time or had to break earlier for safety (I do brake earlier to get more regineration, but can push on them and stop fast if needed).

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
226 Posts
Yes, you're probably noticing the regen braking. In the Hybrid and PHEV, the regen isn't as powerful as on the EV, because the electric motor is far less powerful. But Kia has done an excellent job of blending the regen and the physical brakes. It's tough to tell when they switchover. But if you press firmer/harder on the brake pedal, you'll engage the physical brakes faster, and your stopping should be more "normal". I tend to use regen as much as possible, as that's the way to maximize your fuel economy. Just plan your stops a bit further in advance and take advantage of the system.
I bought a certified niro hybrid with just 19k kms . Have never driven a hybrid before so this seemed weird to me . When applying the brakes , the car takes a while to stop , the dealer and other frnds said its normal but today i drove the latest 2020 model but didnt feel that issue . Is it the regen systems ? Is it normal ?
Atc98092 is correct. When I had my 2014 Prius, it did the same thing. You just have to get use to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts