Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the wheel type and the brake rotor size seems specific to the '23 EV, here's what I found as I took on my snow tire upgrade project.

Here's some numbers for the sizes.
Kia Niro 2023 EV.pdf

If you own the PHEV or the HEV, you'll want to check here for your offset numbers:

2023 Kia Niro - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs

With the help of the pro's at Tire Rack, we tried one wheel and tire setup for a "test" fit because Tire Rack had no info on the '23 new Niro.

I purchased (1) Bridgestone Blizzak 215/55/R17 tire, mounted and balanced, on a 17x7 (5-114 ET 42) steel wheel, with a Continental 433mhz TPMS sensor installed for a test.

-Tire #- 155HR7WS90001135 ($159.99)
-Wheel #- X42752 ($124.72)
-TPMS #- S1905523 ($48.00)
-5 Lug Nuts- (Free)

PERFECT !!

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

So I ordered another single tire setup. Keep in mind the factory wheel for the EV is an "odd" size and has an offset of 52. The closest I could find in a steel wheel with that offset is 42. A difference of about 10mm. So the tire will stick out a little from the fender well, and the best I could measure, is it sticks out about 7mm. You can buy expensive aluminum wheels with that 52 offset, but the 7mm stick out doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

You can just barely notice. Look around the red sticker on the tire. The other black in the picture is the plastic fender trim:

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire

They drive just fine with only a little more road noise as expected with snows. We have had no winter so far this year, so I have no idea how the car performs in the snow, so I put the summer tires back on until it snows, if it snows this year.

The back of the factory wheel:

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

The TPMS................ I haven't figured that out yet. The manual says I have to go to the dealer to initialize the sensor, but I'm not going to do that, and I don't think that's the case. I think the Kia auto initializes. Some cars, you do it through the computer, some press a button, and some like GM, use a reset tool you have to buy.

On my 20 mile test drive, the TPMS light did not come on, but on the tire pressure dispaly screen, it never readout the tire pressures, and only said "Drive To Initialize." But no yellow TPMS idiot light.
On the other cars, I can't go 1 mile before the light comes on and I have to do a reset.
I need more testing on the Kia.

NOW............
Because the manual says NOT 1 word on jacking the vehicle, they want you to return to your "authorized Kia dealership", I think I'll post another thread on that subject. Since the battery hangs down so low on this car, don't let some tire jockey jack it up on that battery. It'll cost 'ya.

Attachments

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
63 Posts
Awesome write up!
I ended up with something similar:
  • Steel rims 17x6.5 rims, 67.1 CB, 114.3x5 bolt pattern, 50mm offset. (P/N 104-0024 from RoadReadyWheels) $105.72 ea
  • Bridgestone Blizzak WS-90 in stock tire size 215/55R-17 (shipped direct from Tirerack to local installer in their network) $159.99 ea minus $70 rebate
  • No TPMS
Also found out TireRack installers have agreed to price. Mine was $60 to mount/balance four wheels!
The stock wheels are 17x7 with 52mm offset so this pretty close. Outside diameter is identical to stock setup
Handy tool for checking how offset or tire/wheel change will affect geometry: Alloy Wheel & Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW. Great.

17x6.5 Rims with a 50 offset. Those are what I'm going to have to go with if I get 2 more for the rear. I wish I would have known about that company and those steel wheels before I bought mine. I searched and searched.

I also wish I would have seen your early post from December before I started on my project, but it was in the 2017 Niro forum and I don't read anything there.

So....... a 17x6.5 and 50 offset wheel is whats needed for snows to keep the same aspect ratio and speedometer readings.

I also noticed that the rear fender lip sticks out a little bit more than the front, so with my 17x7 wheels mounted on the rear, the snow tire does not stick out that 7mm as it does on the front. It'll prevent a lot of Pennsylvania road slop on the side of the car. That is if we get a winter this year...........

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
63 Posts
Not sure the difference is enough to bother changing wheels to be honest. Why not just get four of what you have? 6.5" or 7" width of the rim only matters for how much stuff sticks out with a given offset. The wheel diameter/odometer readings will be identical in all cases anyways since we all have the same tire size as OEM.
As far as slop, it'd be handy if KIA ever released mudflaps..
OH, and were you able to get TPMS talking?

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess my idea now is if I get 2 more snows, I'll get 2 17x 6.5 50 offset wheels and run them in the front and run the 2 17x7 42 offset wheels in the rear. The tire contact patch width will still be the same, front and rear, so I don't think a 8mm offset difference will make much of an issue in handling or stability.

As for factory mud flaps, I'm waiting on those too. My accessory pamphlet from the dealer shows splash guards but they are nowhere to be found. It also shows the roof racks too. Can't order those either. So look at my pics above. You'll notice my homemade flaps. I had some spare rubber sheet laying around. They are held on with the 2 factory mounting screws down there. I noticed a immediate improvement on slop.

As for the TPMS, my dealer is tight lipped, and wants me in for a service visit for an expensive relearn on the sensors. But I'm almost sure that KIA is auto relearn, as opposed to the manual relearn on most cars. As long as its a 433 mhz sensor. Each auto manufacturer has a different system. I think I have to drive a certain distance or time before the computer learns the sensor code. But so far no TPMS idiot light.

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
63 Posts
These part numbers were mentioned in Niro forum for 2023, not sure if HEV/PHEV. I am yet to find any way to confirm they are correct, but dealers online do show availability
Mud guard kit - frontATF46 AKA10
Mud guard kit - rearATF46 AKF10

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,217 Posts
As for the TPMS, my dealer is tight lipped, and wants me in for a service visit for an expensive relearn on the sensors. But I'm almost sure that KIA is auto relearn, as opposed to the manual relearn on most cars. As long as its a 433 mhz sensor. Each auto manufacturer has a different system. I think I have to drive a certain distance or time before the computer learns the sensor code. But so far no TPMS idiot light.
You should be able to get a reading from the TPMS in less than a mile of driving.
Are you sure the sensors have been "programmed"?
I have "Smart Sensor" TPMS and use a tool to program them. Has to be programmed to the yr make and model of the vehicle.

· Registered
2023 Kia Niro HEV
13 Posts
Those That have switched to dedicated snow tires...

Do you know what 'actual' mpg your getting? Not the computer generated numbers.

FYI....
As part of my purchase I ordered the rubber weather matts and rear mud flaps. We shall see of they ever arrive. I was told they see 4 months out.

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,217 Posts
Those That have switched to dedicated snow tires...

Do you know what 'actual' mpg your getting? Not the computer generated numbers.

FYI....
As part of my purchase I ordered the rubber weather matts and rear mud flaps. We shall see of they ever arrive. I was told they see 4 months out.
I have dedicated snow tires and my mpg has dropped approx 8 mpg but I can't blame that on just the tires and rims.
Cold temps, winter gas and more ICE operation for heat are all factors.

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
63 Posts
It's not easy to separate just tires from the effects of 10F weather, slushy roads, ice etc. In my book, not being that car in a ditch I just drove by is worth it. Just the effect of running heater/heatpump is sizeable. ( i saw movement taking 18kw, but heat 3)

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These part numbers were mentioned in Niro forum for 2023, not sure if HEV/PHEV. I am yet to find any way to confirm they are correct, but dealers online do show availability
Mud guard kit - frontATF46 AKA10
Mud guard kit - rearATF46 AKF10
I saw those numbers. None of the sites could confirm the year model. I think they might be for the previous design.

So far no mud guards or (roof racks, for that matter,) at the official Kia Accessory website through the owners portal.

Kia Accessories Guide - Home

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should be able to get a reading from the TPMS in less than a mile of driving.
Are you sure the sensors have been "programmed"?
I have "Smart Sensor" TPMS and use a tool to program them. Has to be programmed to the yr make and model of the vehicle.
When I drove off with the new snows and new TPMS sensors, the tire pressure screen showed no tire pressures on any tire. It only said "drive to initialize". So I did. About 25 miles. No Yellow TPMS light and no tire pressure reading.

When I put the summer tires back on, I had a pressure reading on all 4 tires within a few hundred feet of driving.

I think I have to drive at least 50 miles before it auto initializes. But I'm not sure yet.

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,217 Posts
When I drove off with the new snows and new TPMS sensors, the tire pressure screen showed no tire pressures on any tire. It only said "drive to initialize". So I did. About 25 miles. No Yellow TPMS light and no tire pressure reading.

When I put the summer tires back on, I had a pressure reading on all 4 tires within a few hundred feet of driving.

I think I have to drive at least 50 miles before it auto initializes. But I'm not sure yet.
Nope, there is a problem with those TPMS sensors. You can drive all day and they are not going to register a reading.
While vehicles years past would set off the light on the dash if sensors are not present maybe that is not the case with the Niro. I still maintain they are not "programmed" correctly, or not programmed at all.

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope, there is a problem with those TPMS sensors. You can drive all day and they are not going to register a reading.
While vehicles years past would set off the light on the dash if sensors are not present maybe that is not the case with the Niro. I still maintain they are not "programmed" correctly, or not programmed at all.
On some cars, they use the wheel speed sensors. The idea being, a low tire travels at a different speed than the other three. No reset there. Just as long as all 4 of any size tire travel at the same speed.

On one car I had, the TPMS recognized up to 8 wheels. The idea being, summer and winter tire sets and no annual TPMS resets. On another, I had to mash a little button under the dash when I put on snows. On another, I went into the setup screen and hit "reset". On another, I had to buy a $20 reset tool on amazon, then hold it up to the valve stem and push a button.

On some, you can do it (reset) through the OBD II port at the tire shop. On almost all cars, they all use a Chinese made 433 megahertz transmitter or sensor in the wheel. Kia included. You can buy them anywhere.

On the '23 Niro EV, I still say its auto relearn. I just haven't figured it out yet.

Here is a cut and paste:

NIRO(SG2 EV) > 2023 > 150KW > Suspension System

Description

TPMS monitors the pressure and temperature of tires to warn of pressure changes that may affect driving conditions. The messages calculated from the processed data are shown in the cluster through one warning lamp.
Also, checking the ECU input and output signals by ERROR.
And receive pressure data sensed while parking.

The ECU processes the data received from the wheel sensors, determines the condition of the tires, and delivers the required warning messages to the driver via the CAN line or hardwire control line.

TPMS Receiver : Integrated with IBU (Integrated Body Control Unit)

1. Initial state
• Platform information and sensor ID are not entered.

2. Normal operation state
• In order to detect tire pressure and DTC, the receiver must be in normal operation. • The receiver can check the sensor location and data.

Operation

1. General Function
• Auto-learn takes place only once per ignition cycle.
• On successful completion, 4 road wheel sensor ID's are stored into memory for monitoring.
• Until auto-learn completes, previously learned sensors are monitored for under inflation / leak warnings. • Temporary tire pressure expansion and DTC status are not indicated.

2. General conditions for learning new sensors
• Automatic learning only operates at speeds above 25 km/h (15.5 mph).
• The typical time it takes to learn a new sensor is up to 10 minutes at speeds of 25 km/h (15.5 mph) or more.

3. General conditions for deleting learning about the removed sensor.
• Drive at a speed of 20 - 30 km/h (12.42 - 18.64 mph) for less than 10 minutes.
• It depends on the vehicle speed or the number of sensors recorded in the receiver.

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,217 Posts
I am aware of the many myriads of TPMS learning out there.
I have a TPMS tool and can easily check all info on a sensor and make sure it is "awake"
I put winter tires and rims on my Niro and installed programmable 433 MHz sensors and they were noted within 200 ft of driving. I had to program those sensors specific to the yr/make/model of car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts