Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Judging from pictures I have seen online and comparing to the PHEV, I am under the impression the EV can fit a full spare tire under the cargo floor by removing the factory Styrofoam insert. I have read online various people doing this, however it is unclear that they were specifically referencing a PHEV or HEV model, and whether the EV and PHEV space under cargo is identical. Does anyone have thoughts or knowledge on this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a used 2019 HEV and realized that's there's no spare tire. I've seen the spare rim/tire kit available for sale on line but want to know if I was to place the spare with kit in the center of the rim, will I still be able to place the styrofoam insert under the cover? Or will it be spare, then just cover.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,296 Posts
I just bought a used 2019 HEV and realized that's there's no spare tire. I've seen the spare rim/tire kit available for sale on line but want to know if I was to place the spare with kit in the center of the rim, will I still be able to place the styrofoam insert under the cover? Or will it be spare, then just cover.
I don't believe the Styrofoam insert will fit with the spare in place. It's either/or, not both.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Donut spare fits easily when you Take out the Styrofoam. Automotive lighting Auto part Vehicle Car
Auto part Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Judging from pictures I have seen online and comparing to the PHEV, I am under the impression the EV can fit a full spare tire under the cargo floor by removing the factory Styrofoam insert. I have read online various people doing this, however it is unclear that they were specifically referencing a PHEV or HEV model, and whether the EV and PHEV space under cargo is identical. Does anyone have thoughts or knowledge on this?
"NO SPARE TIRE FITS" in the 2022 Kia Niro Plug-in PHEV. I bought the kit from Kia and when installing I find the battery takes up all the space where a spare would normally go. I will still keep the kit. I store the plug-in cord in a bag in back and Will store the spare hardware where the plug in cord goes and jack under seat in bag. The donut tire spare I plan to buy I will put in a sealed bag (for the smell) and bring with only when I travel outside of my area. In my area I can retrieve the spare easily if needed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2022 Kia Niro Touring Hybrid Touring SX and this is my 2nd Kia. I've had a great client relationship with my local Kia's Service Manager, Tim the past 15 years, and I've never been steered (pun) wrong by what he says. I wanted a spare, Tim busted the hope I could put a full size tire in the trunk space and said only a donut would work. I bought the spare kit he recommended for my car, type and year from the Dealership, Tim mounted the donut on it, put it in place and now I ride without worry. Yes, yes I know it cost a little bit more and I hate spending money I don't have to, but peace of mind is always money well spent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts