Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I took delivery of my new 2023 Niro EV yesterday and I am looking to get a space saver spare wheel 'cos I don't like the idea of using the goo and writing off the tyre + the expense of the tyre shop having to clean off the rim.

The car has 17" rims and 215/55R17 tyres. What type of spare / size should I be looking for? I'm up for second hand or breakers yard so the info to get one from a xxxx car would also be useful.

TIA

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
Hi
I took delivery of my new 2023 Niro EV yesterday and I am looking to get a space saver spare wheel 'cos I don't like the idea of using the goo and writing off the tyre + the expense of the tyre shop having to clean off the rim.

The car has 17" rims and 215/55R17 tyres. What type of spare / size should I be looking for? I'm up for second hand or breakers yard so the info to get one from a xxxx car would also be useful.

TIA
Might this one fit?

2017-2022 Kia Niro Spare Tire Kit (M015)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the good info about wheel sizes.

The link posted won't fit the back as TheAirman said as it is the 16" rim. Also the tyre fitted is 125/80 which is about 5% less in circumference. Over here more than 3% difference is considered unsafe.

Does anyone know if the Sportage 17" wheel will fit?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update
Trawling the internet I found
insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/kia-niro-ev-spare-tire.10412/ Quote
There is a lot more room under the trunk floor board in the Niro Ev than in the Kona Ev which is why I'm going for a compact spare vs. full size. (Since I own a Kona Ev) My research indicates that the 17" donut wheel (17" x 4") that either comes on or can be ordered with either a 2018 to 2020 Hyundai Tucson and/or a 2017 to 2021 Kia Sportage are identical. I was first looking at ordering the Kia Sportage spare tire kit (D9F40-AK900) but have found it better value to buy the wheel without the kit and to buy my own jack and lug wrench. The wheel part number is 52910-C1930. I think the part number is the same for both Kia and Hyundai. I have ordered the wheel through the parts department at a Hyundai dealership and will test fit it when it arrives to ensure no issues with the rear brake caliper. If everything goes well I will have a 135 90 17 tire mounted as that size is the closest revs per mile to the stock 215 55 17.

So from this it seems that some Kia and Hyundai from 2017/18 wheels will fit so there may be some hope of a junkyard supply. Also good info about the 135/90 17 tyre size.

Also see
Kona EV: real spare

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
Great info. Keep updating.

I don't know what trim level you have, but don't you have a subwoofer under the cargo mat? Where do plan to store the spare if it fits?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts