Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: Kia Niro PHEV 2018 sports mode

I use the sports mode on highways. - found that it actaully tops op the plugin battery, so electric power is available for city driving after the highway

Usually, the display says "S" when I switch to sports mode, and it automatically switches gears when needed.

However, occationally, I'm observing that the car goes directly into manual gear mode when pushing the gear shifter to the left, and I cannot figure out how to get it to automatic "S" mode.

Does anyone else have the same issue ?

Does any one know how to get automatic gear switching "S" in sports mode ?

Cheers,
Jes

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you push even a tiny bit forward or back, it will enter manual sport mode. Mine only takes a light press, but I have gotten used to it so it rarely happens. The only way to get back to auto sport is to push back to the right and then re-engage auto sport mode.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you push even a tiny bit forward or back, it will enter manual sport mode. Mine only takes a light press, but I have gotten used to it so it rarely happens. The only way to get back to auto sport is to push back to the right and then re-engage auto sport mode.
Thanks for the reply. The video only shows 2 attempt, but unfortunately, it's very reproducible. Even after 50+ attempts it will never go to automatic "S" sports mode.

Some days it will allways go into Automatic "S" sports mode. Other days it won't go into automatic Sports Mode whatever I do - No matter how careful I switch it. :)

I think it's about 50 % of the drives in the car where it starts up without ability to use automatic "S" sports mode.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,002 Posts
I could always go back to auto Sport by moving to Drive and then back to Sport. But any manual shift while in Sport mode would keep the mode in manual. That said, the transmission would still shift on its own, but the engine would rev very high before any upshift, and I wasn't satisfied with that. In Sport mode, I simply took control of shifting myself.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The video only shows 2 attempt, but unfortunately, it's very reproducible. Even after 50+ attempts it will never go to automatic "S" sports mode.

Some days it will allways go into Automatic "S" sports mode. Other days it won't go into automatic Sports Mode whatever I do - No matter how careful I switch it. :)

I think it's about 50 % of the drives in the car where it starts up without ability to use automatic "S" sports mode.

That's kinda like my cruise control...it only works correctly about half the time. Seems that Korea needs to hire Indian programmers or something.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The switch in the shifter is not working correctly. See if a dealer can adjust it. Otherwise replacement may be necessary. Mine takes a pretty good bump forward or back to make a manual shift. I've noticed the engine warms up quickest in cold weather using manual mode. I use it in sport auto almost every morning to get quick heat then go to HEV or EV for the rest of my commute. 2020 PHEV.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The switch in the shifter is not working correctly. See if a dealer can adjust it. Otherwise replacement may be necessary. Mine takes a pretty good bump forward or back to make a manual shift. I've noticed the engine warms up quickest in cold weather using manual mode. I use it in sport auto almost every morning to get quick heat then go to HEV or EV for the rest of my commute. 2020 PHEV.
. I meant sport mode

1 - 7 of 7 Posts