Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what cars are protected against the USB hot wire method? I read several news articles and only one mentioned that most of the vehicles stolen were models that required a key to start. Which leads me to believe that push button start Kias are not effected. But I can't find anything else about it.

Also, anyone know if any of the EVs are susceptible to this? I have a 21 Niro EV. Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I spoke with Kia this afternoon and was told that any Kia with the "immobilizer" is immune to this issue as the absence of the fob (with the chip) will not permit the engine to start regardless of any attempt at hotwiring. How do you know if your Kia has the immobilizer? You look for this icon on your dashboard display before you power on the engine (where shifting into Drive or Reverse would actually move the car); I think they call that "accessory mode".
Amber Font Symbol Art Signage

Now I don't want to come across as someone who is speaking in absolutes; this info was provided by the Kia rep (and he had me on hold for a few minutes while he allegedly confirmed things with someone else before providing the "icon thing" info). My 2021 HEV LX and my son's 2018 HEV EX both have chips in the fobs; my LX uses a standard "insert the key and turn" type of ignition lock while my son's EX has a dashboard pushbutton. Both of these are supposed to be immune to the USB cable hack.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
250 Posts
Anyone know what cars are protected against the USB hot wire method? I read several news articles and only one mentioned that most of the vehicles stolen were models that required a key to start. Which leads me to believe that push button start Kias are not effected. But I can't find anything else about it.

Also, anyone know if any of the EVs are susceptible to this? I have a 21 Niro EV. Thanks!
I have heard it on the news the other day and found this article about that. They state it’s only the older models. I really doubt anyone would want to steal my boring looking Niro 😅

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
459 Posts
I spoke with Kia this afternoon and was told that any Kia with the "immobilizer" is immune to this issue as the absence of the fob (with the chip) will not permit the engine to start regardless of any attempt at hotwiring. How do you know if your Kia has the immobilizer? You look for this icon on your dashboard display before you power on the engine (where shifting into Drive or Reverse would actually move the car); I think they call that "accessory mode".
View attachment 7767

Now I don't want to come across as someone who is speaking in absolutes; this info was provided by the Kia rep (and he had me on hold for a few minutes while he allegedly confirmed things with someone else before providing the "icon thing" info). My 2021 HEV LX and my son's 2018 HEV EX both have chips in the fobs; my LX uses a standard "insert the key and turn" type of ignition lock while my son's EX has a dashboard pushbutton. Both of these are supposed to be immune to the USB cable hack.
Thank you for posting this information.

·
Registered
87 Posts
One would think that Kia would want to relieve that massive angst that so many owners must feel by posting which specific models/years DO have the immobilizers instead of permitting this sh-tstorm to fester (if you'll forgive my mixed metaphor).

Kia needs to remove its corporate head from its corporate nether part and stop relying on the message Yeah, but we don't suck quite as bad since 2022!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info! Yeah I would think they would really want to fix the problem too. It's bad for their image and will probably hurt resale value of all Kias. Maybe I can actually get a deal on the EV6 because of it! (yeah right haha)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the info! Yeah I would think they would really want to fix the problem too. It's bad for their image and will probably hurt resale value of all Kias. Maybe I can actually get a deal on the EV6 because of it! (yeah right haha)
The fix is to buy a CLUB, Just like in the 90's. So they won't fix and I doubt they will offer free CLUBs to owners.

·
Registered
983 Posts
The fix is to buy a CLUB, Just like in the 90's. So they won't fix and I doubt they will offer free CLUBs to owners.
THAT's what it's called!! For the life of me I couldn't remember it. I had one for an old Checy Corsica that had the key stuck in the ignition for awhile

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Per article, no vehicle immobilizer. So these are not the push to start cars we own. These are not thefts to sell the cars, they are joy rides. And which the article didn't say, I'd bet most cars were stolen running while parked. That is how most cars are stolen that are not high value cars. I'm always amazed on bicycle rides how many cars I pass with the owner in a store and the car running. Or outside a home warming up or cooling down depending on season. Dumb!

Reactions: Techy
1 - 20 of 25 Posts