Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Per article, no vehicle immobilizer. So these are not the push to start cars we own. These are not thefts to sell the cars, they are joy rides. And which the article didn't say, I'd bet most cars were stolen running while parked. That is how most cars are stolen that are not high value cars. I'm always amazed on bicycle rides how many cars I pass with the owner in a store and the car running. Or outside a home warming up or cooling down depending on season. Dumb!
Yup, joy rides. I’ve heard there are online videos that show how to hotwire the cars - specifically Kia/Hyundai with key starters which is why the numbers are high. Mine has a push-button starter so I was relieved but is some idiot joy-rider going to take the time to check that before breaking into my car?

·
Registered
Niro HEV, 2020, Dynamic Link, KIA Connect, EPB, StdGen5W
176 Posts
May be this helps (Niro HEV):
Font Parallel Circle Diagram Auto part

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm always amazed on bicycle rides how many cars I pass with the owner in a store and the car running. Or outside a home warming up or cooling down depending on season. Dumb!
Sale here on the running car... Especially with running in colder temps to warm car up... I've seen some people warm up cars for quite a long time...

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,484 Posts
Sale here on the running car... Especially with running in colder temps to warm car up... I've seen some people warm up cars for quite a long time...
Many towns have laws against starting a car and then leaving it running. Big ticket in some places.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Many towns have laws against starting a car and then leaving it running. Big ticket in some places.
I know there are some laws targeting truck idling, but the fact is in my little community outside of Chicago, they do it all the time. In Hot and cold weather. I believe primarily for purpose of cooling or heating the inside more than the engine.

But for Trucks there are laws but enforcement in some areas is pretty lenient to my understanding...

Illinois has a law but there is an exception to allow heating / cooling vehicle for passengers...

I will admit that on Prius had a block heater which allowed heat to start working shortly after getting a couple blocks down road...

My wife enjoys the heated seats which is our 1st car we have owned with the feature.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts