Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Per article, no vehicle immobilizer. So these are not the push to start cars we own. These are not thefts to sell the cars, they are joy rides. And which the article didn't say, I'd bet most cars were stolen running while parked. That is how most cars are stolen that are not high value cars. I'm always amazed on bicycle rides how many cars I pass with the owner in a store and the car running. Or outside a home warming up or cooling down depending on season. Dumb!
Yup, joy rides. I’ve heard there are online videos that show how to hotwire the cars - specifically Kia/Hyundai with key starters which is why the numbers are high. Mine has a push-button starter so I was relieved but is some idiot joy-rider going to take the time to check that before breaking into my car?

· Registered
Niro HEV, 2020, Dynamic Line, KIA Connect, EPB, StdGen5W
189 Posts
May be this helps (Niro HEV):
Font Parallel Circle Diagram Auto part

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document

· Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,931 Posts
Sale here on the running car... Especially with running in colder temps to warm car up... I've seen some people warm up cars for quite a long time...
Many towns have laws against starting a car and then leaving it running. Big ticket in some places.

Reactions: Dovidan

· Registered
193 Posts
Many towns have laws against starting a car and then leaving it running. Big ticket in some places.
I know there are some laws targeting truck idling, but the fact is in my little community outside of Chicago, they do it all the time. In Hot and cold weather. I believe primarily for purpose of cooling or heating the inside more than the engine.

But for Trucks there are laws but enforcement in some areas is pretty lenient to my understanding...

Illinois has a law but there is an exception to allow heating / cooling vehicle for passengers...

I will admit that on Prius had a block heater which allowed heat to start working shortly after getting a couple blocks down road...

My wife enjoys the heated seats which is our 1st car we have owned with the feature.

· Registered
8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
I don't think any Kia/Hyundai is very high on the list of preferred vehicles to steal.
Tell my kid that, she had her car stolen twice already. It's a tik tok challenge. So yes, obviously these cars are getting stolen at alarming rates. The first time was a few months ago, took about 7 weeks to get her car back with the total cost of damages to her car $9,500 and I received a call from her last night and it was stolen again. Hasn't been recovered yet, so we have no idea what the condition of the car is this time. She's only had her car back from the first theft for a couple of weeks.

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,207 Posts
Tell my kid that, she had her car stolen twice already. It's a tik tok challenge. So yes, obviously these cars are getting stolen at alarming rates. The first time was a few months ago, took about 7 weeks to get her car back with the total cost of damages to her car $9,500 and I received a call from her last night and it was stolen again. Hasn't been recovered yet, so we have no idea what the condition of the car is this time. She's only had her car back from the first theft for a couple of weeks.
Put a steering wheel lock on it.

· Registered
4 Posts
Put a steering wheel lock on it.
Doesn't really matter at this point. They have to break in and then they destroy the ignition and the last guy took the catalytic converter and drove it around for a few days and got caught.
There is no way her insurance company will continue to pour money into a vehicle that wasn't worth the $9500 they put into it a few weeks ago. Her wiring is all messed up and her battery was draining and she had to constantly charge her battery. She was about to take it back to the mechanic and then it was stolen again.
So basically kia makes a car that can be stolen in a way that other cars can't be, and all they tell you to do is buy a steering wheel lock? Yea, not good enough. The amount of money out of pocket for her and the stress of dealing with this isn't just an "oh well" situation.
She will get a new car and she will never purchase another kia. I have the Niro, love it, but it's the last Kia I will own.

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,207 Posts
Doesn't really matter at this point. They have to break in and then they destroy the ignition and the last guy took the catalytic converter and drove it around for a few days and got caught.
There is no way her insurance company will continue to pour money into a vehicle that wasn't worth the $9500 they put into it a few weeks ago. Her wiring is all messed up and her battery was draining and she had to constantly charge her battery. She was about to take it back to the mechanic and then it was stolen again.
So basically kia makes a car that can be stolen in a way that other cars can't be, and all they tell you to do is buy a steering wheel lock? Yea, not good enough. The amount of money out of pocket for her and the stress of dealing with this isn't just an "oh well" situation.
She will get a new car and she will never purchase another kia. I have the Niro, love it, but it's the last Kia I will own.
I hear you but it is unfair to say Kia is making a car that can be stolen. If that were the case, many manufacturers are making a car that can be stolen.
I realize that it might be a pain to remember to install the steering wheel lock every time, but it would give the thief pause because they are not going anywhere with the car - not worth breaking into.
As for the catalytic converter, that is a problem across the board and not much if anything can be done by manufacturers.
I hope your daughter is purchasing a new car with "push button start" but again, that just changes the method of "stealing" that can occur.
Something has to change the thought process of these idiots that are doing all this damage - a societal thing that does not have anyone group or person in "charge" of the required change.

· Registered
4 Posts
Even Kia had to add a vehicle immobilizer to their newer models because even they admitted there was a flaw in the design of these cars.
And I agree that stealing catalytic converters is a thing. But for my daughter to have her car stolen twice in just a matter of months is a problem.
I read an article that Esurance is no longer insuring these cars. That the resale value on these cars is being affected.
I have read some comments about kids doing this just for a joy ride, however even if that is true a lot of damage has been done to the vehicle which can costs thousands of dollars to repair.
I don't know about you but most people want to feel pretty confident that their car will be there when they need it and not be a car that is targeted by car thieves because it is easy to start with a USB cable and there are tik tok videos showing them how to do it.
A lot of your comments were pretty callous about Kia's and Hyundai's not really being on the top of the list of cars to steal. I actually think they probably are not only for kids as a challenge to see if they can do it, but because there is a tutorial on the internet to show them how to do it.
She's had her car since 2015, so why now has it been stolen twice in such a short amount of time?
She's moving on and away from Kia. She liked her Optima and it was her first purchase of a brand new vehicle. I'm sure you remember your first car and the attachment and pride you felt. It truly sucks that someone can just take that away in a heartbeat just because they can. And that's the mama bear in me that wants to get my hands on the idiots that did this to her twice. And yea I blame Kia and I doubt if anything anyone could possibly say will change my mind.
They found it the first time in 24 hours, it's been 48 hours so far and no car. The first time they found the guy in it, she pressed charges he went to jail for a couple of weeks and it gets stolen again. Makes me wonder if it's the same person. Obviously I'm venting now so I will just end the rant.

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,207 Posts
Even Kia had to add a vehicle immobilizer to their newer models because even they admitted there was a flaw in the design of these cars.
And I agree that stealing catalytic converters is a thing. But for my daughter to have her car stolen twice in just a matter of months is a problem.
I read an article that Esurance is no longer insuring these cars. That the resale value on these cars is being affected.
I have read some comments about kids doing this just for a joy ride, however even if that is true a lot of damage has been done to the vehicle which can costs thousands of dollars to repair.
I don't know about you but most people want to feel pretty confident that their car will be there when they need it and not be a car that is targeted by car thieves because it is easy to start with a USB cable and there are tik tok videos showing them how to do it.
A lot of your comments were pretty callous about Kia's and Hyundai's not really being on the top of the list of cars to steal. I actually think they probably are not only for kids as a challenge to see if they can do it, but because there is a tutorial on the internet to show them how to do it.
She's had her car since 2015, so why now has it been stolen twice in such a short amount of time?
She's moving on and away from Kia. She liked her Optima and it was her first purchase of a brand new vehicle. I'm sure you remember your first car and the attachment and pride you felt. It truly sucks that someone can just take that away in a heartbeat just because they can. And that's the mama bear in me that wants to get my hands on the idiots that did this to her twice. And yea I blame Kia and I doubt if anything anyone could possibly say will change my mind.
They found it the first time in 24 hours, it's been 48 hours so far and no car. The first time they found the guy in it, she pressed charges he went to jail for a couple of weeks and it gets stolen again. Makes me wonder if it's the same person. Obviously I'm venting now so I will just end the rant.
Tikok is the problem, not Kia/Hyundai but good luck addressing that issue.
I totally agree with "I'm sure you remember your first car and the attachment and pride you felt" but until the idiots have the same happen to them in 5 -10 years, they will not understand...too late at that point.
The "joy ride" vehicle of choice might be the older Kia/Hyundai now but I remember when it was K cars/Chrysler in general and that was before TikTok. A steering wheel lock will stop the joy riding.
The bulk of thefts are still high end SUV of the Toyota/Lexus make and those are not for joy riding, instead, pure profit in another country. Steering wheel lock would also limit that theft.
In my area, we have had issues with "daylight robbing" of the vehicle while the owner was in the vehicle - again, very high end vehicles.

· Registered
4 Posts
yep I'm not happy that tiktok doesn't take more precautions on what they allow posted on their platform. But here's the deal. The guy that took her car was not going for a joy ride. He steals cars to remove parts. As far as Kia goes, there is a class action lawsuit already in place for this exact issue. She has already processed a claim.
I had a Ford focus a while back. The transmission continued to have problems and I had to have it replaced 3 times. I was a part of a class action lawsuit back then because it was a faulty part that continued to be a problem after the third attempt to resolve the problem Ford reimbursed me for the total cost of my car. So yes, car manufacturers can be held liable when they put out a faulty product.
I come from a Ford family my Grandfather was Vice president of the manufacturing plant in Detroit. All my Uncles worked for Ford. It's in my DNA. I will never own a ford again.
Time will tell how this class action lawsuit with Kia is settled.
I'm pretty sure their suggestion to just get a steering wheel lock isn't going to fly in a court of law.

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,207 Posts
Time will tell how this class action lawsuit with Kia is settled.
I'm pretty sure their suggestion to just get a steering wheel lock isn't going to fly in a court of law.
Yes, time will tell.
I think the suggestion to get a steering wheel lock will fly as well as the "liable when they put out a faulty product".
Should the class action win some kind of award, the lawyers will be the winners, not the consumer!

· Registered
180 Posts
I pull a certain fuse in spots I think theft could be a issue, the niro comes on as normal but does not crank you can put it in drive but it doesn't move and the steering wheel remains locked. They should need a key fob but if they copy the smart key code somehow now they have to figure out why it wont move and I would think they would move on. Put the fuse back in no engine codes everything it just fine. I can pull fuse in 5 secs!!

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,207 Posts
I pull a certain fuse in spots I think theft could be a issue, the niro comes on as normal but does not crank you can put it in drive but it doesn't move and the steering wheel remains locked. They should need a key fob but if they copy the smart key code somehow now they have to figure out why it wont move and I would think they would move on. Put the fuse back in no engine codes everything it just fine. I can pull fuse in 5 secs!!
Which fuse are you pulling?

· Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,931 Posts
This method of stealing a car only worked on the base level trims that used a key to start the engine. Any car with push button start was not susceptible to this hack. Hyundai/Kia added the immobilizer to all cars starting in 2021, so it's a non-issue for any new car.

· Registered
180 Posts
Some vehicles with a key fob can be stolen if they can get the signal from we will say inside your house they copy the fob signal and go. They can steal from your driveway. Think the fob is for the experienced criminals though. Not just some kids out for a joyride

21 - 40 of 43 Posts