Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still have a couple of weeks before I see a Niro at my local dealership... I just had a quick question about the stock tires... Like what brand and model are they? I'm in Canada in case they're different by country.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked mine up a couple hours ago (EX Premum) and it came with Michelin, don't know the model. I'm in Eastern Canada.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both. Congrats on your new wheels jjr .... why don't you post a pic or two? Many of us are still waiting to even see them at our dealerships ... it helps with the waiting :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
All the Niros I've seen have the Michelin X Energy Saver tires. This was a big plus for me, not having the usual Hyundai/Kia Kumho or Hankook tires. Not that those are bad tires necessarily, but IMO Michelins are the best tires made. Should have no problem getting 60k miles on these,with good performance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really feel the road though and they seem noisy. I found some Yokahama touring tires that work with the Niro and say that they are for comfort and road noise. Can't wait a few years to really see if this is an improvement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Michelin Energy Savers A/S.
+1

This.

It's a tire for a commuter car, don't expect it to be amazing other than long life. Lateral grip is okaaay and probably would do okay in rain. I wouldn't trust anything more than light snow and leave it to real winter tires. Just my impressions from a test drive, and I did try to push it on an impromptu "skid pad".

·
Registered
27 Posts
One thing I can say about the 16 in. Michelin tires is that they handle surprisingly well. I have thrown this car hard into some turns and it has held its line without a peep from the tires. In fact I was kind of scared by how fast I was able to take turns. I had similar Michelin Energy Savings tires in '05 and they were like driving on steel wheels.

As far as I can tell, the stability control has not kicked in during my attempts to find the limits of the cars adhesion. Maybe I'll these mountains roads without the stability control some time to see if that is what does it. But, end of story, I am impressed with the handling and design of the suspension thus far and the tires. Good job Kia engineers.

Neo

Reactions: Dovidan

·
Registered
2 Posts
My SX Touring (Canada) came with Michelin Primacy mxm4 tires (225/45R18 91V), which seem pretty decent as cheap OEM tires go. Funny thing is they were delivered over-inflated at 38-38.5 PSI cold (the driver door sticker recommends 36 PSI). And the spare is a tight little temporary tire with 60 PSI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts