Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like several of you, i removed the stock hubcap to expose the cooler looking black wheel but i have not been able to find a black center cap for the middle, has anyone found one?

p.s. i did buy one set from Kia that was too small, it was a centerpiece for the hubcap and not the wheel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Like several of you, i removed the stock hubcap to expose the cooler looking black wheel but i have not been able to find a black center cap for the middle, has anyone found one?

p.s. i did buy one set from Kia that was too small, it was a centerpiece for the hubcap and not the wheel.
Cop car parts. I had 15" steelies on my '15 Soul. I found chrome center caps somewhere, and I put chrome trim rings on. Got the idea from the Arkansas State Police.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am going to remove the wheel covers at my next tire rotation and go with the black wheels also. I saw a friends newer Subaru Outback Sport recently, and the stock black rims look very similar to the Niro without the wheel covers. A kind of badass stock off-road custom look. I don't remeber the Subaru having much or any center caps, at least not flashy or chrome caps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought these ones (67mm ID):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32958690794.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6be94c4dYyoO2O
They snap in the rear fine but the front hits the axle and would not fit flush. I used a dremel tool to remove some plastic on the inside and they fit now.
I'm waiting for the silicone lug nut covers to be delivered and then I'll decide if I like the look. This is on my 2019 white LX Niro and I'm still happy with all the different colors on the exterior of the car.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Of course that is true. However, if you must have a certain look, removing wheel covers is more efficient than moving to the larger wheel.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Of course that is true. However, if you must have a certain look, removing wheel covers is more efficient than moving to the larger wheel.
That's true, I just hate to see people removing the wheel covers then two weeks later they're posting on the forums wondering why their mpg has dropped recently and they haven't changed their driving style or done anything differently. No actually you fundamentally changed the aerodynamic design of the vehicle, that's why your mpg has fallen off a cliff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's true, I just hate to see people removing the wheel covers then two weeks later they're posting on the forums wondering why their mpg has dropped recently and they haven't changed their driving style or done anything differently. No actually you fundamentally changed the aerodynamic design of the vehicle, that's why your mpg has fallen off a cliff.
Based on my fuel app, I haven't found any notable difference in fuel economy with the covers off. I'm averaging the same 4.4-4.6 l/100kms as I did last summer when the covers were on.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I put chrome wheels on my EX at less than 1200 miles and at 8000 miles my mpg keeps going up. I am now over 61 mpg average calculated at the pump. Both weighted 19 lbs.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Removing wheel covers will drop your efficiency. But it is a small thing. But when you add up a lot of small things, you get a very efficient car.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I highly doubt removing the wheel covers will make MPG fall off a cliff. I record all fuel fills on Fuelly and will report. Seems if they were real aero-d wheel covers they would be flat, but hey I could be wrong. I will be able to tell shortly.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Seems if they were real aero-d wheel covers they would be flat, but hey I could be wrong. I will be able to tell shortly.
They don’t have to be flat. Tesla Model 3 aero wheel covers look very similar to the Niro’s. Kona EV and Ioniq (all flavors) also have similar looking aero wheels.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
They don’t have to be flat. Tesla Model 3 aero wheel covers look very similar to the Niro’s. Kona EV and Ioniq (all flavors) also have similar looking aero wheels.
As do all the Prius models, the Leaf, and the Bolt. Notice they are found on efficient cars, remove them and you remove a small part of their efficiency.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone have any pictures of the center caps installed? Either the police ones, or the disks?
Some quick pictures, the first one shows where I had to remove some plastic to clear the axle on the front wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wasn't sure about the size, so I ordered 19mm and 21mm silicone covers from China ($11 total). When I went to use them I had a problem. They were to short and wouldn't go down far enough. I could order new lug nuts, new lug nut covers or cut the caps of the lug nuts. I just cut the caps of the lug nuts. With this done, the 19mm covers fit ok, but the flang part of the nut was showing. I tried the 21mm and twisted them over the flange to fit. The feel like they should stay on and lasted through a car wash.

Thanks for commenting,
Chris

1 - 20 of 43 Posts