Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new Niro LX for a couple of weeks, liking it a lot so far. Today we noticed a strange sound in lower driver door area. It sounds like a marble (or maybe a screw) rolling forward when I'm braking, and then rolling the other way when I start back up. Also, it might do it a few times, then nothing for a while, and then start back up. I had my girlfriend drive it this evening and she noticed the same sound.

Will monitor it again tomorrow, but I am wondering if anyone has experienced this before? I would like to be able to pin it down a bit before I contact the dealership.

Any thoughts on this issue?

Stephen

·
Registered
60 Posts
This may not be the issue but take a look to see if you have black protective tape over the chrome that forms the window frame. If that tape is starting to come off, you will get a noise .. flapping. I had the tape start to come off on the back passenger window a few weeks ago, removed it (it just pulls off). Last week the tape on the front passenger side started to come off just at the mirror and it took 2 days for us to clue in. But it did not sound like a marble rolling ..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check where you put sunglasses. I took my car in for a weird sound that ended up with the mechanic taking out my sunglasses and the sound going away.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Maybe there's change lying around and it's sliding back and forth when the car moves? If there's really nothing loose that you can see, maybe bring it in to a check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear Stephan,
What was the outcome at the service station?
I do have the same problem, the garage doesn’t have a clue.
Thanks in advance,
Ward

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is it possible the noise might come from under the seat? There are ridges under the seats so if something rolls under the seat from the back, it doesn't roll forward or come back out. I had a soda bottle roll under the seat and it was "in limbo" for a day or so. Just a thought.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Shake the door back and forth quickly on the hinged axis on a 12" or so arc (Don't go full open or you could end up with a sprung hinge). See if you ear the shake rattle and roll. If you do, take it to KIA and let them figure it out. It is possible that something fell down between the window and the door frame, someone left something inside the patient, or something just came loose.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ve heard a similar rattle sound. It ended up being the drivers seatbelt where it attaches to the floor behind the drivers seat near the door. Once the seat belt has more tension it didn’t rattle, but still comes and goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
strange sound

I went to the garage. They do not find it. They open all tunnels in the door panel, removed the gummies etc. Still there. Next week episode 2. I Keep you posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all from Canada! First post. Brought my EX back in April and love my Niro. I also too have this rolling noise like a marble or screw in my front passenger door panel. It is intermittent and of course during test drive with technician i could not get the sound to develop however I have taken video of the sound. They have taken apart the door panel 3 times to find nothing! Will subscribe to the post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue. It turns out that the plastic ac duct below the driver's seat had come out of the its fitting and was rattling around. I'm not sure if it was kicked out or fell out, but, once reinstalled, the noise went away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just noticed same noise, it is drivers side door/cill area, distinct rolling sound, like a marble, its not the door ive opened and shook it, ive looked under car and i can see a plastic under tray, im going to remove it and the plastic sill cover along with the inner plastics to hunt for noise. Has anyone actually discovered where noise is yet, it is definitely sill area not door/sunglasses holder/seat/heat duct

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm going to bump this old thread because the 2018 I just purchased has the exact same noise. I can sit in a parking lot and just go back and forth about ten feet and each time I brake I hear what sounds like a marble or something rolling back and forth. Last post on this was a year ago, has anyone found the answer to this yet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nope I am still having marble like noises rolling back and forth. Dealership took the door panel apart again and still couldn't find anything loose inside. The noise is not consistent. I went over 3 months not hearing it then randomly it would come back.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Sometimes sound location is difficult. One possibility is the roof rails. If a nut from the fastener comes off (or was lost during assembly), it will indeed roll back and forth. It will take probably 20 minutes to remove one rail and replace it. A deep socket is required (can be bought separately from Lowes), I think 10mm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem with niro 2017 EX.
sound is like coming from rear right door.

something (marble, screw? ) is for sure rolling back and forth when I have a sudden brake and sudden take-off.
it was random, but then it has started with every sudden brake.

any idea?
or anyone figured out this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a new Niro LX for a couple of weeks, liking it a lot so far. Today we noticed a strange sound in lower driver door area. It sounds like a marble (or maybe a screw) rolling forward when I'm braking, and then rolling the other way when I start back up. Also, it might do it a few times, then nothing for a while, and then start back up. I had my girlfriend drive it this evening and she noticed the same sound.

Will monitor it again tomorrow, but I am wondering if anyone has experienced this before? I would like to be able to pin it down a bit before I contact the dealership.

Stephen
I have the same problem.. I love this car but it has had multiple issues.. sounds like gears grinding when teaching new drivers how to drive a stick. They say it’s just the way the car will sound. I think not. It didn’t start out this way! Totally quiet until you brake. I notice it more in the morning or when I am coming to a stop down hill. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
A gear grinding sound is rust on the brakes being worn off. That is more common after it rains and winter salt and slush. All cars, at least those without exotic materials, are subject to that sound. It will even lock the brakes after sitting all night and you break loose with a jerk on moving.

There is an effect that works on hybrids in general in that they do not use the mechanical brakes as much. Thus the noise happens at unexpected times when you slow faster than regen alone allows. For many hybrid owners, including me, this happens only when slowing below 6 mph when coming to a full stop.

There is something else happening on our specific cars. Hyundai/Kia designed the brakes to be full release for better efficiency. Standard hydraulic brakes are designed to have a slight amount of contact to keep them properly adjusted. As such, they stay cleaner than ours (less rust remaining or building up). Thus our brakes typically have more rust buildup than most cars and thus sound/feel worse when our brakes actually engage. On these forums, there are advocates for regularly burning the rust off the brakes weekly or monthly. The technique for doing that is a safe stretch of road or large parking lot, getting up to speed and shifting to neutral (which defeats regen) and braking briskly. (I don't do that myself so pretty neutral on need).

The advantage to all this is increased efficiency (which is likely why most bought their Niro) and also that the brakes last a very, very long time!

·
Registered
4 Posts

Stephen
Any news on what is causing this? My 2019 Niro PHEV starting making that marble/object rolling noise with breaking and acceleration on the front passenger side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A gear grinding sound is rust on the brakes being worn off. That is more common after it rains and winter salt and slush. All cars, at least those without exotic materials, are subject to that sound. It will even lock the brakes after sitting all night and you break loose with a jerk on moving.

There is an effect that works on hybrids in general in that they do not use the mechanical brakes as much. Thus the noise happens at unexpected times when you slow faster than regen alone allows. For many hybrid owners, including me, this happens only when slowing below 6 mph when coming to a full stop.

There is something else happening on our specific cars. Hyundai/Kia designed the brakes to be full release for better efficiency. Standard hydraulic brakes are designed to have a slight amount of contact to keep them properly adjusted. As such, they stay cleaner than ours (less rust remaining or building up). Thus our brakes typically have more rust buildup than most cars and thus sound/feel worse when our brakes actually engage. On these forums, there are advocates for regularly burning the rust off the brakes weekly or monthly. The technique for doing that is a safe stretch of road or large parking lot, getting up to speed and shifting to neutral (which defeats regen) and braking briskly. (I don't do that myself so pretty neutral on need).

The advantage to all this is increased efficiency (which is likely why most bought their Niro) and also that the brakes last a very, very long time!
So my Kia ended up needing a new transmission. After doing battle with my local service station I ended up taking it to a different location. They knew right away what it was and replaced the transmission within a weeks time. Great service at the new location. Down side is it’s a quite a bit further away.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts