Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,484 Posts
So my Kia ended up needing a new transmission. After doing battle with my local service station I ended up taking it to a different location. They knew right away what it was and replaced the transmission within a weeks time. Great service at the new location. Down side is it’s a quite a bit further away.
There are two VW dealers closer to me than my preferred dealer. Sometimes ya just gotta go where they treat you well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took it to the Service Department. They used a scope and found that an object fell into some kind of space under the carpet and seat, by the door, by using a fiberoptic scope. However, they said that it would require ~ $400 worth of labor to get to it (by taking out the seat, etc). Anyone know if there is a better way of accessing this space?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Why care how they fix it? Warranty issue.
Might not be a warranty repair if the object in question is not from manufacturing. If some FOD got in there and is now stuck @davidtliu3 might be on the hook for the cost.

I took it to the Service Department. They used a scope and found that an object fell into some kind of space under the carpet and seat, by the door, by using a fiberoptic scope. However, they said that it would require ~ $400 worth of labor to get to it (by taking out the seat, etc). Anyone know if there is a better way of accessing this space?
You say it's by the door, maybe removing the interior rocker panel trim would let you get at it? If it's in between panels under the seat you may be hosed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Might not be a warranty repair if the object in question is not from manufacturing. If some FOD got in there and is now stuck @davidtliu3 might be on the hook for the cost.

You say it's by the door, maybe removing the interior rocker panel trim would let you get at it? If it's in between panels under the seat you may be hosed.
That is what the service folks said, that it is not a warranty repair. However, it seems strange that an object can so easily enter a space under the seat, such that it can roll around. I see the AC vent, but do not see any holes for objects to fall through. Is there a hollow space under there? Does anyone have a schematic of the Niro interior?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
That is what the service folks said, that it is not a warranty repair. However, it seems strange that an object can so easily enter a space under the seat, such that it can roll around. I see the AC vent, but do not see any holes for objects to fall through. Is there a hollow space under there? Does anyone have a schematic of the Niro interior?
I doubt a schematic would have the detail you need. You'd need the full CAD for the body shell to know how the panels interconnect. If you removed the seats and carpet you'd be shocked how complicated the interior structure is. There are many hollow spaces where stuff can get trapped.

For example, here's a car with all of the interior trim removed so you can see the structure. Lots of nooks and crannies in there.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Any suggestions on how to open the carpet enough to remove the object? I am not too familiar with how the paneling and carpet are installed. Would rather not pay $400 at the dealership.
My guess is that you'd have to remove the seat, then start removing trim pieces until you could pry up the carpet near where the thing is stuck. Automotive carpet is really stiff and formed to the shape of the floor so you'll probably need to remove quite a lot to be able to get under it. Honestly, if there's no way you can live with it I would just suck it up and pay the $400. You're likely to spend several days trying to get at it, breaking several parts in the process (trim is fragile and you will break clips) that you will then have to replace.

Here's the procedure for removing the whole carpet:
Carpet removal

You wouldn't need to do all that, but you'd probably need to do at least these:
Front seat removal
Door scuff trim removal
Cowl side trim removal

Good luck if you decide to do it yourself. I would buy a bunch of the trim clips before starting, as you will break them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took my car to the dealer for the same/similar rattling, marble sound!
they discovered a C+ battery underneath the front passenger seat, underneath the carpet.
I got the car from 1st owner, probably left as a gift from him :)

costed me $250.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there! I am too having this issue. Sounds like an acorn or a small metal piece rolling back and forth (front passenger side floor/door). I just had my mechanic try to find it. Said he found the location and was able to blow air back and forth to move it around but couldn’t get it out. Said it could be scraps from welding that came loose and are rolling around. Said he couldn’t access it without cutting into the car and he didn’t want to do that, but that it wasn’t a personal item rolling around in the car and it wasn’t anything that would compromise the vehicle. Just all around annoying. I too am trying to find a schematic out of curiosity. To just comprehend where this could be.

·
Registered
Niro HEV, 2020, Dynamic Link, KIA Connect, EPB, StdGen5W
176 Posts
If he can move it by blowing air into maybe a hole or so then it might be fixed to fill some metal protection fluid in ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
We were considering putting some foam (or something of that nature) into it but decided against it for now. My mechanic wasn’t sure if it was a drain for something. Didn’t want to unknowingly clog it and have water issues down the line. Personally it is annoying to listen to but knowing it’s nothing serious now makes me care less…… 6 months from now that opinion might change! 😂

·
Registered
1 Posts
We were considering putting some foam (or something of that nature) into it but decided against it for now. My mechanic wasn’t sure if it was a drain for something. Didn’t want to unknowingly clog it and have water issues down the line. Personally it is annoying to listen to but knowing it’s nothing serious now makes me care less…… 6 months from now that opinion might change! 😂
Maybe we can get it out with a magnetic! I’m gunna try

·
Registered
26 Posts
Took my 2019 to the dealer for marble Rolling noise on passenger side. Service writer said warranty would cover the cost if it is a defect. If not then a charge of $220 for labor to remove seat and investigate. Turns out the noise was 12 cents worth of change between the carpet and floor. Doh! $220 paid. Same dealer visit for noise in the liftgate. A nut had come undone from the spoiler. All nuts re-torqued. This repair was covered under warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Update
The marble Noise is still there. Back to the dealer. Noise found to be coming from the floor pan assembly. according to the notes, The tech used a rubber mallet to find the noise. He/she Drilled a hole and Using a borescope found a stylus sandwiched between layers of the floor pan. used a punch and hammer to extract the pen out of the hole. Sealed hole and replaced rock guards under the car. Dealer refunded $ paid for the coin issue. This should be a one of a kind issue. Perhaps the stylus dropped out of a pocket on the production floor. Much respect to the dealerShip tech For finding the true cause of the noise.
Wood Writing implement Office supplies Natural material Font

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have a new Niro LX for a couple of weeks, liking it a lot so far. Today we noticed a strange sound in lower driver door area. It sounds like a marble (or maybe a screw) rolling forward when I'm braking, and then rolling the other way when I start back up. Also, it might do it a few times, then nothing for a while, and then start back up. I had my girlfriend drive it this evening and she noticed the same sound.

Will monitor it again tomorrow, but I am wondering if anyone has experienced this before? I would like to be able to pin it down a bit before I contact the dealership.

Any thoughts on this issue?

Stephen
I, too have the very same issue - driver's side - sounds like it's coming from under the rear seat. First time I notice it was after having had both seat backs lowered to transport some stuff in the cargo area. Maybe something like a pen, slipped between the rear deck and the space created when the seat backs are lowered? Who knows? Problem with poking around under the seats, though, is the fear of touching a hot electrical lead. I thought about applying some double stick tape to the spaces under the seat (as well as under the cargo cover) - maybe whatever is rolling around will stick and stay. Glad to hear my Niro is not the only one having the problem. Will definitely have the service dept check it out during my next scheduled maintenance service.

·
Registered
2022 Niro Touring SE
53 Posts
I, too have the very same issue - driver's side - sounds like it's coming from under the rear seat. First time I notice it was after having had both seat backs lowered to transport some stuff in the cargo area. Maybe something like a pen, slipped between the rear deck and the space created when the seat backs are lowered? Who knows? Problem with poking around under the seats, though, is the fear of touching a hot electrical lead. I thought about applying some double stick tape to the spaces under the seat (as well as under the cargo cover) - maybe whatever is rolling around will stick and stay. Glad to hear my Niro is not the only one having the problem. Will definitely have the service dept check it out during my next scheduled maintenance service.
Check in the wheel well area and see if maybe there's something rolling around there.
That's what it was in my Niro.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts