Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I noticed when the car is not yet fully warmed up and I am driving very slowly in the EV mode I hear some strange sounds like from the gearbox (metallic sound (wrrrr)) also when I press the brake and the car comes to stop (that's not the sound to recover the energy).

Have you noticed such noise as well?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It's like the sound of something breaking in the gearbox or sth like that (very metallic).
Actually, I hear all the time that when I press the brake and the car is completely stopped (then after a complete stop for a while I hear this metallic sound as if from a gearbox).

·
Registered
756 Posts
It's like the sound of something breaking in the gearbox or sth like that (very metallic).
Actually, I hear all the time that when I press the brake and the car is completely stopped (then after a complete stop for a while I hear this metallic sound as if from a gearbox).
Are you sure that's not the VSS (Vehicle Sound Simulator)? It's a speaker at the front of the car that makes a whirring / whining noise at low speeds to alert pedestrians that might not hear the car otherwise.

I sometimes hear a groan / grind when coming to a stop from low speed or just starting out but I think that's related to when the car engages the clutch when starting or stopping.

This car certainly makes some unique noises that can be disconcerting at first.

Hopefully that's all it is and not something more serious.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I believe most of the clutch and gearbox noise are new to us because before, with a internal combustion engine, these noises where covered by the engine noise :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like the vacuum pump going. These types of cars need a vacuum pump(as do diesels for much the same reason) or they would have an otherwise unreliable source of vacuum.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sounds like the vacuum pump going. These types of cars need a vacuum pump(as do diesels for much the same reason) or they would have an otherwise unreliable source of vacuum.
Can this noise occur when switching the gearbox to P position (with D or N) or when starting the EV engine while holding the brake pedal down?
Is it possible that vacuum pump generates such noise like "spinning wheel".
I only notice that noise in EV mode and above cases ;/

·
Registered
56 Posts
First, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing, I wouldn't characterize the sound I hear as metallic but more like a gutteral, low pitched muffled RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR for about approx a second. The vacuum pump must be driven by a dedicated electric motor since the engine is made to cut out.
Now of course any time we step on the brake we're using up vacuum from the reservoir. When we start the car or take it out of Park or just change from D to R or vice versa, we are using a substantial amount of vacuum. In these moments, I tend to step on the brake more deeply than, let's say, coming to a gentle stop. I hope this is what you are hearing.
I bought my 18 EX Premium at the end of January. I'm still learning it's little quirks, that I suddenly become aware of, here and there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In your post you said spinning wheel. I hope you don't mean like burning rubber but just the rumbling of a tire rolling over the ground.

·
Registered
56 Posts
First, just to be sure we are talking about the same thing, I wouldn't characterize the sound I hear as metallic but more like a gutteral, low pitched, muffled RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR for about approx a second. Since the engine is made to cut out, the vacuum pump must be driven by a dedicated electric motor.
Now of course any time we step on the brake we're using up vacuum from the reservoir. When we start the car or take it out of Park or just change from D to R or vice versa, we are using a substantial amount of vacuum. During these moments, I tend to step on the brake more deeply than, let's say, coming to a gentle stop. I hope this is what you are hearing.
I bought my 18 EX Premium at the end of January. I'm still learning it's little quirks that I suddenly become aware of here and there.

I must add a disclaimer that although I'm a trained mechanic I'm not a Kia technician. These are assumptions based on 40 plus years of turning wrenches on cars, aircraft, boats etc.
I know I'm right until I find out I'm not and so then I just learned something new.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for your opinion.

The situation is as follows - the engine is warmed up and running in EV mode:

- I turn the key and sometimes (I keep pressed the brake very deeply) hear the loud sound of the rotating wheel (under the hood), which after a few seconds stops and a metallic sound is heard at the end
- when I switch from N or D to P the same spinning wheel sound as above

Note:
This is what happens sometimes.

Do you have an idea what could occured such issue?

·
Registered
490 Posts
You would do well to record the sounds you are hearing, perhaps with a smart phone or with some other recording device. Whether you post the recording here or play it for your service garage, it's likely to get you to an explanation faster if people can actually hear what you are describing as a metallic sound. You might also ask yourself where it sounds like the sound is coming from (it's not always easy to figure this out). You said it was under the hood, but does it sound like it's under the hood right in front of the driver, or more in the middle or on the passenger's side?

You might also want to consider if you are putting unnecessary pressure on the brake pedal. When you say you keep it pressed "very deeply", it sounds like you might be pressing more than is needed. The brake pedal and the hydraulic system amplify the pressure that you apply to the pedal, so when you press hard, there are some components in the braking system that are feeling really high pressure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi,

Yes I am going to record that sound as soon as possible.

For that moment I would like to ask you about the sequence of how to switch from D to P and how to start the engine correctly.

What I'm doing to start engine:
1. Pressed the handbrake.
2. I'm pushing the foot brake to the max.
3. I'm starting the engine (turning the key).
4. The issue happens (sometimes) when EV is started since it is warmed up, so the internal combustion engine isn't running.

What I'm doing to switch from D to P:
2. I'm pushing the foot brake to the max.
1. Switching from D to N
2. Pressed the handbrake
3. The foot brake is released.
4. I am pressing the foot brake again.
5. Switching from N to P
6. Issue happens (sometimes).

What is your opinion about above and what are yours steps to do it correctly for described cases?

Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Additionally..
That sound comes from under the hood in the front of the car and what more when the issue happens I feel as it gently shaking the car and all the time I am pushing the foot break, so I am pretty sure it is related with transmission gearbox.

Thank you for any observations.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Some of the previous responses on this thread speculated that you might be hearing normal sounds. Everyone responds differently to sound and it's easy to imagine that what one person describes as a "metallic sound" might actually be normal, or not. But I have not experienced any sound that coincided with a shaking sensation, and so if you have that going on, I think you should get the car inspected by a service technician really soon. Whatever you have going on might be damaging your car, might be about to leave you stranded with an inoperable car, or in the worst case, might be indicating that an important system (such as the braking system) is on the verge of failure and could fail in a way that causes you to have a car accident, maybe at high speed.

In response to your question about shifting and braking: I think you might be putting too much thought into this. The car is engineered so that it will perform well and safely for everyone, including people who have a very limited understanding of mechanical systems or technology. It's really easy to drive (and to start and to shift).

I'm not an expert, I'm just someone who has been driving for more than 30 years, doing a significant portion of the maintenance on my cars for most of those years, and I'm a fan of hybrid technology and the Niro's technology in particular, although I'm at an age where there is so much new technology on my Niro that there is a limit as to what I will work on myself, vs what I will take to a dealer for service.

With all that said, here's how I drive my car most of the time:

I rarely engage the emergency brake (you have a hand brake, I have a foot pedal that is separate and far removed from the normal brake pedal that I use when driving, but they're both a cable-operated braking system that is considered to be an "emergency brake"). I'm usually parking in a reasonably level spot, and so I put the car in Park and I count on that to keep the car from moving. If I'm parking on a hill, then I often do engage the emergency brake as well as putting the car in Park position.

When starting the car, I apply pressure to the "normal" brake pedal because the car won't turn on if my foot isn't on the brake pedal. I apply about as much pressure as I would apply if I came to a stop sign or a red light in traffic. That's actually overkill - you can satisfy the computer that it's safe to start the car by just depressing the brake pedal ever so lightly. So I'm suggesting that if you are putting more pressure on the brake when starting the car than you would use when coming to a stop sign, you might be needlessly over pressurizing the brake system.

Once the car is on, I shift from Park to Reverse so that I can back out of my garage. Then I shift from Reverse to Drive when I 'm at a point where I can go forward. (I do make a point of bringing the car to a complete stop before shifting from Reverse to Drive. There are some threads on this forum where people expressed an expectation that they shouldn't have to wait for the car to stop before shifting directions. I don't share that expectation - I think it' likely to shorten the mechanical life of the car to drive it in that way).

99.9% of the time, I only use those three positions: Park, Reverse, and Drive. And I rarely press on the brake pedal harder than I would need to do if I was approaching a stop sign. Sometimes I put the car in "Sport mode", which causes it to stay in lower gears longer than it would in Eco mode, but even then, the shifting is still automatic (unless you decide to override it).

Occasionally there are good reasons to use other gears in certain situations (gears like Neutral, low 2, etc), but only if you want to get maximum fuel economy (in the case of Neutral) or maximum acceleration or deceleration (in the case of lower gears than Drive), and there are potential drawbacks to using those other gears if you don't understand enough about how to use them appropriately. I'm pretty sure that the designers anticipated that most of their customers would only use three gear positions: Park, Reverse, and Drive.

I'd still be interested to hear a recording of the metallic sounds you mentioned. Pretty much everyone who follows this forum is here to learn from others and I think we'd all like to learn from your experiences. But whether you share that recording here or not, if you manage to capture that sound and can play it back for a service technician, you'll be in a much better position to ensure that they understand the problem they are trying to solve and can hopefully fix it right the first time.

I hope this information was helpful to you. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts