Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely love my Niro. The one thing that I want everyone to know is that I bought the tech package because of the autonomous braking system. It costs me $2k to upgrade but since I drive on a really congested road I thought you can't put a price on safety. Well I'm driving home and the person in front of me comes to a stop because a cop had a car pulled over (no doubt rubber necking). I was doing your typical thinking while driving and realized too late that they had stopped. I didn't get ANY warning. No buzzing no trying to stop, nothing. I might as well have not had it. To make it worse the air bags deployed and it costs a ton to fix it. I've put a call into Kia to let me know of the failure.

I absolutely love my car but I'm very unhappy it cost $9k to fix the bumper, the sensor that didn't work, and the airbags. All of that could be avoided if the system worked properly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm hoping no one was hurt. I don't have this package on my Niro - would have liked it. When I purchased my daughters corolla earlier this year, the dealer warned us, it will not stop an accident at highway speeds and wasn't designed to do so. The sales guy went out of his way to show us how it would work and that it was designed for parking lot type avoidance.

Not sure what the Kia specs are, but just disappointed that Kia didn't put all the safety features in all cars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad you are ok, but not a good way to find out that a package that you pay for, especially a safety feature is not working. I have the Premium tech pkg and I have a family so these types of safety features are important to have. I would like to test this feature out but scared to either damage my car or damage property.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Probably not your case but the features can be turned on and off in the settings (on by default). You sure it wasn’t turned off? Just asking.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My daily commute involves a lot of stop and go and I have definitely tried to multi-task too many times. My auto-brake has engaged completely 3 times and the warning beeps have gone off countless times. I can't imagine the system not beeping. Has it ever beeped for you?

·
Registered
198 Posts
You'd think safety systems like the beeping at least would be on by default in case someone forgets or isn't aware of the on/off option.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've had mine beep a couple times when I got to close. Once when a car was backing up towards my car. I never had the the AEB brakes come on because I applied the brakes myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The car's computer system should have recorded whether or not the AEB system was activated, and this record should indicate whether the system failed or was turned off. I would think Kia, and the NHTSA would be very interested in getting the data off the computer to see the reason why the AEB system did not engage.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The "system" is not at fault, this is a case of operator error.
How so???? If the AEB was enabled, why did it not deploy. One of the reasons I purchased my tech pkg was AEB.
If it if failure prone, what's the point???

·
Registered
221 Posts
The "system" is not at fault, this is a case of operator error.
How so???? If the AEB was enabled, why did it not deploy. One of the reasons I purchased my tech pkg was AEB.
If it if failure prone, what's the point???
I’m not the one who said it but I think the point is that it is a “helper” system but the driver is still responsible for the ultimate result.

Nonetheless if it failed Kia would probably want to know and look into it. I didn’t see you having answered the questions asked (I may have missed it if you did). Did you check the menus to ensure the system is enabled? Do you remember turning it off at any point? Have you ever heard your car give you the warning?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I’m not the one who said it but I think the point is that it is a “helper” system but the driver is still responsible for the ultimate result.

Nonetheless if it failed Kia would probably want to know and look into it. I didn’t see you having answered the questions asked (I may have missed it if you did). Did you check the menus to ensure the system is enabled? Do you remember turning it off at any point? Have you ever heard your car give you the warning?
I'm not the OP, but I have checked, all my systems are enabled. The whole point of AEB is to catch the impending disaster before it happens. Sometimes the driver is just distracted, etc, and that's the point of having AEB available. To say that it's not able to accomplish that result makes AEB in a Kia a waste of time & money!!!.....

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm not the OP, but I have checked, all my systems are enabled. The whole point of AEB is to catch the impending disaster before it happens. Sometimes the driver is just distracted, etc, and that's the point of having AEB available. To say that it's not able to accomplish that result makes AEB in a Kia a waste of time & money!!!.....
It’s kind of like having a disk utility on a computer. It’s supposed to help keep things in working order and fix problems, but the company that makes it isn’t liable if there’s a problem it cant fix sometimes. It’s a helper, not a guarantee.

Or like wearing a helmet while riding a bike. It can help a lot, but it’s not guaranteeing you that you can’t hurt your head. They’re not at fault if anyone ever gets injured.

There’s a big difference between “supposed to work” and “liable if fails”.

Now, if the system never works, or fails more than rarely, then you can end up in the class action situation when purchasers sue for their money back. But that’s more about having paid for a dud than about liability for accidents.

Not also that it’s different if a system is actually *causing* injuries like the unintended acceleration incident.

Anyway, having never heard back from the OP makes me wonder whether they may have remembered they disabled the system or actually not have a model with it installed in the first place.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It’s kind of like having a disk utility on a computer. It’s supposed to help keep things in working order and fix problems, but the company that makes it isn’t liable if there’s a problem it cant fix sometimes. It’s a helper, not a guarantee.

Anyway, having never heard back from the OP makes me wonder whether they may have remembered they disabled the system or actually not have a model with it installed in the first place.
Yes, it would be nice if OP's would check on their threads and do followups.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kia+niro+autonomous+emergency+braking

The youtube link shows what it is suppose to do and what you paid for. Mine didnt work either and ended up rear ending a car at 30mph. Even manually pressing the brakes, the car did not stop so now need to get an investigation done as to what was wrong with this car. My wife who was on the passenger side heard me screaming WTF as I was pressing the brakes and we both just had to brace for impact as we were in the hwy and cars were on both sides of us. Airbags deployed in front, total damages to the front of niro, funny thing is the car we hit was an oldmobile and only his bumper was hanging off, rest of his car was fine, mine look like it hit a brick wall. It was scary and thankfully the family is doing fine but need to get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I still remember Car and Driver Montana ex-pat John Phillips writing about his Cadenza slamming on the brakes out in the middle of nowhere on the interstate with nothing within sight.
I'm still leery of these systems, I had it on a Mazda6 but all that stuff stayed turned off because IMO there are too many tin whiskers that haven't been sorted out.

A. Glad no one was seriously injured

B. PAY ATTENTION!!! Do not rely on automated features to be your driver.
I second the motion.

Yes, it would be nice if OP's would check on their threads and do followups.....
It would be nice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Be careful what you wish for.
A while back I was browsing Internet reviews, (consumers reviews, not Car and Driver), I think it was Volvo or another highly-rated European brand. Several people complained that they were on a wide-open freeway when their emergency braking activated itself with no other cars ahead. Somebody almost got rear-ended by an eighteen-wheeler, miraculously they made it home unharmed.
I don't know what is worse, rear-ending someone or getting it because your car had seen a ghost while traveling at 70 miles per hour on the 405 in Los Angeles.
Be afraid, very afraid.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts