Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because you are only the new guy for a short period of time!

I’m in central Texas and picked up the last 2018 Niro LX that the dealer had just a few days before the new year. Got an offer that I couldn’t resist so signed the papers and drove off. The next day went on a road trip and just yesterday my family and I finally got home. Just over 1,700 miles.

I have some big plans for adding a 10” sub to this car without taking up ANY cargo space at all, but need to read up more about the DC-DC converter capabilities first before deciding on the amp size and which 10” sub to go with.

So, hi from Texas to all of y’all.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Welcome.

End of the year is always a great time to get a deal. I usually aim for demo's owned by reputable dealers and avoid deprecation for the next couple years ;)
How are you liking the output from the stock system? Upgrading tweeters and speakers might be in order from what I hear.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The overall sound is not bad, but appears to be heavily eq’ed. I prefer a soft dome tweeter and from the sound of the stock setup, that appears to be what is being used.

With that being said, the way manufacturers can get decent sound out of stock audio systems is to reduce the mass of the drivers themselves. Not the frame, but the cone, surround, voice coil, ect. All of the moving parts. It’s like taking a Geo Metro 1.0L 3 cylinder and putting it into a 500 pound vehicle. It is going to accelerate and perform the same as a 300 hp motor in a 3,000 pound vehicle, with the exception of top speed. Likewise, at lower volume levels the stock Niro stereo is going to sound good at lower volumes, but is really going to fall short when it comes to minute details, and with enough power aftermarket speakers can play louder too.

My last system was about sheer volume and it did quite well for how little I spent on it. At 80% volume on music that system hit 137.6 dB at 41 hz with a sealed box and a pair of 15” subs.

The Niro though will be a MUCH smaller setup with a single 10” sub in a custom sealed box that will go under the drivers seat. For now, I plan on keeping the stock speakers and radio. That may change down the road but for now I want to see if taking the replication demands of bass reproduction off of the stock system helps to improve overall volume and clarity. Only time will tell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts