Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro EV
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2019 KIA Niro EV, which I really love! In the 3 years we have owned it, I have done all of the charging at home with a level 2 charger, which was graciously provided by my local utility. We would like to take some short road trips and are wondering if anyone has experience with level 3 charging using Tesla destination charging stations. We understand that the adapters come in different amp inputs, ie 40, 50, and even 80. We can not find anything specifically in the owners guide on maximum amperage charging input, but we have seen 32 amps in some of the online references. Also, we have seen that the car is smart enough to only accept its maximum capability, regardless of the adapter input. So it seems to us that a 40 amp input adapter should be sufficient. What do you think?

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,483 Posts
The car's onboard charger controls the amount of current an EVSE provides. It doesn't matter if you plug into an EVSE capable of 80 amps. Your car will still only draw 32 amps (7.6kW) as that's all it can accept. To my knowledge (which could certainly be lacking) there's only one Tesla-J1772 adapter, although I suppose there could be some that are current limited. Since your car can only accept 32 amps, you could use any of them. Of course, if there's a cost difference, just stick with the cheapest one, unless you expect to get an EV that supports higher charging power. For example, my Bolt can accept 48 amps, and of course the new Cadillac Lyriq can accept 80 amps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts