Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kia EV 2020 and I am starting to look into the other EVs in the market to do my next purchase in the upcoming months (before Christmas).

While Kia EV looks to be a good EV (no major issue yet), I dislike a few features like shiny dash and limited camera. The next car should be equivalent to Kia EV or better, considering e.g. performance and range. Please provide your recommendations, if you have reviewed, tested or owned the recent EVs in the market.

PS: I think, the best EVs are from Tesla but there are no tax incentives and no discounts (even at the end of the year).

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
With the current chip shortage, it's tough to find new cars from any brand. As far as what you can actually buy on a lot today, The VW ID.4 and Mustang Mach-E are probably the two most compelling non-Tesla models. I just this week leased a new Bolt EUV, just before they issued the stop sale because of battery issues. If it hadn't been for that, I would highly recommend it as well. But until they resolve the battery issue, you can't buy one for now.

Beyond that, and depending on where in the US you are located, the Niro and Kona EVs are about the only other available cars under $65,000. If your pocket is deeper, there's the Audi e-Tron, Jaguar i-Pace and Porsche Taycan. That's about all that's available at the moment. Expect to see additional markup on the Mach-E and ID.4 in most markets.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the time that I wanted to purchase EV last year, Bolt did not have adaptive cruise control. Therefore, my list got narrowed to Kia Niro and Kona. Kia had a large discount and I chose it.

I live in California and I look for EVs with MSRP<50k. Mustang Mach-E looks very stylish.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
My Bolt does have adaptive cruise, but it's not quite as smooth as the Niro. It seems to let the speed go up a hair, then brake (regen) to bring it back down, then cycle again. The Niro seems to be able to regen more precisely to hold the speed steady.

I don't think you can find a Mach-E under $50k, mainly because only the Select RWD trim would be that low and most dealers only have the Premium trim. But they also all seem to have $10k tacked on to all of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a Kia phev ex and gave it to my daughter Then bought a Tesla model Y.
i Couldn’t get a Kia EV and couldn’t even get a date when or even if the dealer would get them.
what I’ve learned from both the Kia and Tesla
it depends on your driving. Tesla has the best charging network if you keep to the interstates. If you just do local driving and charge at home, then the VW or mustang Mach-e may be the best options.
YouTube has comparisons of the different EVs. See ‘out of spec motoring’ for a lot of good information on the different EVs. EV and Chill have some comparisons between a Mach-e and model y.
note any of the cars will have a long waiting period.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
I too found very little available in my area. The only Niro EVs were 2020 models, and they weren't super close to me. Maybe only 30 miles or so, but that means driving right through Seattle, and the traffic there is terrible. That's why I ended up with the Bolt EUV. There literally was nothing else available nearby. The only Mach-E models that might have been actually on-site had $10,000 tacked onto the price. There were no ID.4 models. No Kona EVs. And that pretty much exhausts the only EVs available under $60,000. Even the few Leaf models that were available in the trim I would want were gone. Of course, after driving a Leaf, I wasn't interested anyway.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may check the dealers that have delivery to home option (anyway, I prefer to go the dealer for my next purchase). It is a free service.

Last year, first I wanted to purchase Tesla Y and I submitted an application. Since there was a long delay in delivery due to Christmas (>2-3 weeks) and it had no discount, after a few days I decided to cancel the application and I purchase Kia Niro EV with a large discount. I asked the dealer to bring the car to my house, I did a short drive and afterward, I signed the documents.

·
Registered
Kia Niro EV EX 2020
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a Kia phev ex and gave it to my daughter Then bought a Tesla model Y.
i Couldn’t get a Kia EV and couldn’t even get a date when or even if the dealer would get them.
what I’ve learned from both the Kia and Tesla
it depends on your driving. Tesla has the best charging network if you keep to the interstates. If you just do local driving and charge at home, then the VW or mustang Mach-e may be the best options.
YouTube has comparisons of the different EVs. See ‘out of spec motoring’ for a lot of good information on the different EVs. EV and Chill have some comparisons between a Mach-e and model y.
note any of the cars will have a long waiting period.
You were quite lucky to purchase your Tesla. I am checking here and the earliest delivery date is Jan, across all models.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too found very little available in my area. The only Niro EVs were 2020 models, and they weren't super close to me. Maybe only 30 miles or so, but that means driving right through Seattle, and the traffic there is terrible.
You would not drive 60 miles round trip to go pick up a new car? You could get it serviced at the dealer closest to your house. Does not matter where you purchased it. Also, many dealers will deliver a new car 30 miles away.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
Wonder why so few are available in Washington. There are hundreds and hundreds of them available in Southern CA and the northeast.
Hyundai, for whatever reason, doesn't consider WA a major EV market. They have sold the Ioniq Hybrid here for a number of years, my son-in-law has one. But the PHEV and EV versions were never here until very recently. They are more concentrated on Oregon, even though the statistics show WA is a more favorable state for EVs than OR. Even the latest PHEVs from Hyundai won't be available in WA initially.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
You would not drive 60 miles round trip to go pick up a new car?
You don't know what it's like driving through Seattle. :D Yes, I would drive that far for a new car. I'd drive double that, if it were in a different direction. I just happened to find what I considered an acceptable deal on an acceptable car much closer.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Hyundai, for whatever reason, doesn't consider WA a major EV market. They have sold the Ioniq Hybrid here for a number of years, my son-in-law has one. But the PHEV and EV versions were never here until very recently. They are more concentrated on Oregon, even though the statistics show WA is a more favorable state for EVs than OR. Even the latest PHEVs from Hyundai won't be available in WA initially.
Difference in OR vs WA incentives? Both dealers and manufacturers make more money in states with higher subsidies.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
Difference in OR vs WA incentives? Both dealers and manufacturers make more money in states with higher subsidies.
That is a very good question, so I just looked it up. OR does have a bit more of an incentive than WA. OR offers up to $2500 for a qualifying EV, with up to another $2500 if you mean a certain income test. It looks like some utilities offer something towards an EVSE as well. WA only offers a sales tax reduction (OR has no sales tax), and the value of that reduction just dropped Aug 1 and will be dropping again in a couple of months. So for subsidies it does appear OR is a bit higher. At it's best, the WA sales tax reduction could have knocked $3000 or more off the price, depending on the city and county. As it drops, that likely won't exceed what OR offers.

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem Leased
29 Posts
I'm most excited about Aptera, but they're still 1-2 years out. 250, 400, 600, and 1000 mile range with solar to top off your commute, AWD, and a trunk you can camp in... Affordable too at $25k-44k. It's just the perfect wet dream for aerospace engineers.

Otherwise, i'm pretty excited about the new Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6. And of course Teslas but they're expensive. If I got a tesla right now I would probably lease a Model 3 or Model Y, but the wait times are horrendous.
The Kona and Niro are good but definitely first generation conversions.

Also interested in VW's wagon, the Space Vizzion, although I drove an ID-4 and wasn't impressed - Felt like driving a big balloon that was trying to be a tesla by removing all the interfaces but not doing a very good job at it.

I really have no interest in any ford or gm products, or the leaf... Volvo is way too expensive and Mazda MX30 has no range. And that's pretty much all that's out so far in the US... We really need more EV options...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
The Korean twins absolutely look good, especially their DC charging. I might have gone with an EV Niro if there had been more available around me. I liked the ID.4, but didn't like that they didn't offer some of the options that the European model has, such as the Heads Up display and the heat pump. Of course, my Bolt has neither of those, but then they aren't offered elsewhere either. Over the next year or so there's going to be lots of great choices, assuming they can get chips for them all. :D

Reactions: rcnesneg

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a Kia EV 2020 and I am starting to look into the other EVs in the market to do my next purchase in the upcoming months (before Christmas).

While Kia EV looks to be a good EV (no major issue yet), I dislike a few features like shiny dash and limited camera. The next car should be equivalent to Kia EV or better, considering e.g. performance and range. Please provide your recommendations, if you have reviewed, tested or owned the recent EVs in the market.

PS: I think, the best EVs are from Tesla but there are no tax incentives and no discounts (even at the end of the year).
Judging from what I saw on the Straight Pipes on You Tube I'm pretty sure that wouldn't want to deal with the stupid controls on the VW ID 4 . There's no way that I'd be good with swiping a screen to find Heat or AC for instance . Then again I haven't even seen one of those cars. I quite like the new slightly larger Bolt , but that's already been dealt with .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts