Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

The Kia Niro is a Dirt Magnet

8K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Peter Jay 
#1 ·
We love our Niro but man, is it hard to keep clean.:crying: We may end up spending half our fuel cost savings on car washes!

#2 ·
That's exactly why I bought the silver (pewter? Dark gray?? Whatever color that is). They only had that, and black in stock. I said, "I'll take the one that isn't black, whatever it is"... My other car is black, and it looks filthy if I don't wash it every other day. Didn't want to deal with that again. My kia, whatever color they call it, doesn't show dirt too bad. Only needs a wash maybe every couple weeks, and it would be way less if I garaged it.

Look into monthly-membership car washes. There are a few in my area where for about $25 a month you can take your car through as often as you want.

#4 ·
I went through **** with my previous car being black. It looked amazing clean but in the S. Florida sun, the clear coat got baked away, so I said never again. I wanted to get a white Niro, but there wasn’t much choice in color for the 2018s when I was looking. We almost got silver, but my daughter chose the metallic gray instead. It’s kind of a middle ground between silver and black. I wasn’t sold on the silver but it was the lightest color choice available. So far it hasn’t been too bad other than the back window. The vortices kicked up by the rear must suck the dirt back on to the car. At least the window is small so there’s not a lot of surface area to clean.

#5 ·
I guess that's what mine is, metallic gray. It's dark, but doesn't show dirt like black does. I know, because my neighbor has a black Niro that he parks right next to mine every day. His always looks filthy, while mine usually looks clean, even though if you inspect them closely you'll see they usually have the same amount of dirt on them.

#9 ·
You'd probably serious hurt the mpgs if you did that. The rear spoiler is integral to controlling the airflow at the rear of the car. An unfortunate side effect is that the rear attracts more dust and dirt.
Having said that here's the procedure for removing it:

Kia Niro : Rear Spoiler Repair procedures : Body Side Molding

I suspect it will look pretty ugly without it but who knows?

#12 ·
Mine seemed to be a bird magnet yesterday. I had to wash it when I got home, as it was hit numerous times from front to back. :ROFLMAO:

#16 ·
My Kia finance officer told me "you now get 8 free oil changes... oops. Well, you get free car washes for life". Sometimes I go every day.
-Barry

#20 ·
They Hyundai Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 both omit the rear wiper. They claim the airflow keeps them clear. They're wrong of course, but that's what they are.

Reactions: stencilman7
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.