Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Things That Could Be Improved With a Software Update

13K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  Larry lambert 
#1 ·
All these suggestions are related to the onboard BEEPERS.

1. Disengage the Front Parking Sensors when the vehicle is in Reverse. I use this feature all the time because our driveway is just long enough to fit 2 vehicles if they are parked VERY close together so the sensors work great for that. However, it is annoying the next time I go move the vehicle. Obviously, I'm going to be moving backward so temporarily disengage the front parking sensors when the vehicle is in reverse. Thank-you!

2. Allow the owner to adjust the volume of the Lane Departure Warning, and Blind Spot Monitoring beeper which triggers if you engage the Turn Signal when another vehicle is still sensed. Not everyone is "Stone Cold Deaf". I've been able to find a volume adjustment for the Parking Sensors (now on minimum) but not these two.

3. Reduce the length of time that the Blind Spot Detection system stays turned on. I've had MANY instances where a vehicle is passing me and pulling away and I can already see their taillights, yet the darn beeper goes off when I hit the turn signal. Arghh! Gimme a break already. :mad:

I believe these are all pretty simple software updates which could be implemented with a Flash Upgrade during a routine service appointment. Heck, if this was a Tesla, they'd just implement the changes to all their vehicles via a "Cloud Update". Beepers can be, and have been, a valuable safety aid BUT they can become VERY annoying if overused.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Niro PHEV has introduced us to the great driving experience of EV cars at least for the first 24 miles before the ICE kicks in.

In the next few weeks our Niro will have a Tesla 100d ( 300 mile EV range) parked next to it.
Buying the Niro via its dealership network was unpleasant. I'd rather go the dentist than buy another car at a Kia dealership.... the sales experience is dreadful. Tesla sales is by comparison wonderful and treats customers as honorable not entities to prey upon. The Tesla software upgrade is just plain smart to do it via the cloud.

Niro has much to learn...if you build a great car it sells itself so get rid of the sales staff and convert dealerships to service only and pass the savings onto customers.

#3 · (Edited)
The Niro PHEV has introduced us to the great driving experience of EV cars at least for the first 24 miles before the ICE kicks in.

In the next few weeks our Niro will have a Tesla 100d ( 300 mile EV range) parked next to it.
Buying the Niro via its dealership network was unpleasant. I'd rather go the dentist than buy another car at a Kia dealership.... the sales experience is dreadful. Tesla sales is by comparison wonderful and treats customers as honorable not entities to prey upon. The Tesla software upgrade is just plain smart to do it via the cloud.

Niro has much to learn...if you build a great car it sells itself so get rid of the sales staff and convert dealerships to service only and pass the savings onto customers.

Its almost like you are saying that by paying $100,000 vs $25,000, you got a better dealer...imagine that.

#4 ·
I noticed that about the Blind Spot warning. The car next to me was not quite ahead of me, but I put on my blinker to begin to change lanes, but not immediately, and the car beeped at me. It made me stop the lane change because I thought there was someone else behind me. I don’t think it should be changed, but just something that you’re aware of.

I doubt they will allow adjustable volume LDW or BSM. They’ve probably done studies as to what’s the most annoying level the sounds should be at so it gets people’s attentions. Adjustable volumes would open them up to lawsuits from people who turned them down and then didn’t hear it and ended up in crashes.

#6 ·
You have the Blind Spot warning option in the LX versions ?? ... in Canada, it's in the EX Premium and SX version.. not on the L and EX version.

#7 ·
My wife (it is her daily driver) isn't happy with the steering feel. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee has 3 modes - Normal, Soft and Sport. She's experimented with those, and like Normal. She wished the Niro had steering options. I turned off lane departure control, and she likes it better but still likes the Jeep better than the Niro.

#12 ·
All these suggestions are related to the onboard BEEPERS.

1. Disengage the Front Parking Sensors when the vehicle is in Reverse. I use this feature all the time because our driveway is just long enough to fit 2 vehicles if they are parked VERY close together so the sensors work great for that. However, it is annoying the next time I go move the vehicle. Obviously, I'm going to be moving backward so temporarily disengage the front parking sensors when the vehicle is in reverse. Thank-you!
This one is easy, just use the console button near the shifter to toggle the parking sensors off/on when reversing out of your driveway.

Sometimes my front sensors go batty while in stop and go traffic and pick up the car in front of me. That button has been a sanity saver!

#14 ·
Sometimes my front sensors go batty while in stop and go traffic and pick up the car in front of me. That button has been a sanity saver!
I am not sure how sensitive your system is, in my EV the front sensors don't beep until you are 1m (40") away from the object. In stop and go traffic this is pretty close! I am sure if you would drive like this in our city, you would likely induce road rage for tailgating.

#19 ·
Give me a no ICE period, selection. I'll take the 1kw heater alone and whatever max EV acceleration is. Inadvertent ICE when I want EV only is annoying. Battery approaching damaging low? Auto ICE is obviously OK. Otherwise give me the option.

And again, give me an indication of friction brake use.

#20 ·
Give me a no ICE period, selection. I'll take the 1kw heater alone and whatever max EV acceleration is. Inadvertent ICE when I want EV only is annoying.
It is really easy to keep the ICE off in the PHEV. No cabin heat and keep the Eco gauge needle IN ECO. If you go into the power bar, the ICE will fire.

#22 · (Edited)
I did find a minor annoyance that could easily be fixed with a software update. When you are on the Radio screen of the infotainment system, pressing the wheel switch up moves you up in the station presets. However, if you are on any other screen, a press up moves you down in the same list. Forces me to remember which station is stored where on the list. Like I said, it's a minor irritant, and easily fixed in software.

EDIT: and they finally fixed it in the infotainment update for Dec 2020. Yippee!

Reactions: Spiritwalker2222
#23 ·
I did find a minor annoyance that could easily be fixed with a software update. When you are on the Radio screen of the infotainment system, pressing the wheel switch up moves you up in the station presets. However, if you are on any other screen, a press up moves you down in the same list. Forces me to remember which station is stored where on the list. Like I said, it's a minor irritant, and easily fixed in software.
I find it really odd that they did that. Minor irratant, but why.

#24 ·
That is a feature, not a bug. When in list view, the wheel switch follows the display which is oriented up and down (unlike standard tuning dial where stations are left to right). When the list is not displayed, going up on the switch changes to a higher frequency.

Interestingly, while I've had my car just under two years, I've never used the wheel switch. Instead when I start my car, I'm frustrated if the wrong station is on or the radio is off. No access to the touch screen while backing up, or even going forward until the safety warning leaves the screen or I hit "Confirm". I still keep hitting the radio button (just seem logical to bring up the touch screen), but it changes bands, not stations. In fact, I've never touched any of the switches on the left side of the wheel. Guess I should practice.

#26 ·
I'm down to 10 mph for certain short city hills in my HEV - just to stop 15 seconds of ICE. Obviously can't do that with someone behind me, and only if I'm coasting after the crest or stopping. Silly really, wouldn't be able to measure mpg difference or long term engine life difference. But heck! I'm a hybrid driver now.

#27 ·
I find myself doing the same thing, with the same thoughts. I feel like I've failed if the ICE fires up with EV range remaining. It's a totally different mindset than with my TDI, that one I just drive it without really worrying about efficiency. Not sure why that is other than the visceral pleasure of keeping the ICE at bay. ?

#28 ·
It would not be a problem if that darn ICE would select the correct gear to go into when going up that hill, or more to point after the hill where it stays in the wrong gear racing the engine and using up fuel revving way to high for absolutely no reason at all. Sure you can swap into sport and force it to go down a gear, but I shouldn't have to.

Sadly, I could spend many pages on things that Kia could do a far better job with this Niro that could be fixed with some time to write the correct code for the car. But part of me knows it will just be spending a whole lot of time venting for zero gain as I also know they will never release any fixes for a car that is now 3 model years old.

#29 ·
I have no issues with what gear my car chooses. In fact, I'm amazed how long it holds a high gear climbing hills, far longer than I would have with a manual shift cars. Yes, I have noticed no immediate downshift for a few seconds at times when cresting hills, but if you think about the reduced load for those few seconds, having higher revs is kind of trivial.

Nothing compared to some older cars whose algorithms really had issues! Never had an automatic car before, but I certainly remember reading about the issues. In any case, any shifting algorithm, no matter how efficient, will always trigger complaints by some drivers. CVT or similar transmissions cannot be faulted in a similar manner as they are always at their most efficient rev for needs. But they trigger a lot more hate than our car's transmissions!

#32 ·
Turned 18 in 1973, first car with AC was 2001. Windows cracked to prevent or reverse fog is just what worked. Be glad you didn't own an old Beetle is really cold weather! That 2001 car wanted to run AC on defog, it was a simple fix to remove that interlock. Never missed it in 19 years owning that car, really appreciated the AC running up or down I-5 in the summertime.

#33 ·
I got a year on ya. :) Yep, virtually all cars had the little wing vent windows in the front doors to aid with clearing the windshield. I had cars with A/C far earlier than you, and glad to have it. Even though summers in Seattle usually aren't all that extreme, I appreciate it more to be able to keep the windows closed for a quieter and cleaner cabin. My wife had a '71 Super Beetle when we married, so I am well acquainted with VW HVAC. About 15 years ago I restored a '68 Beetle, and one thing I added was blowers under the rear seat to improve the air flow. Made a lot of noise when they were on high, but was a definite improvement in heating.

#34 ·
My family (five kids) had two different VW vans when I was young. I don't specifically remember being cold in them, but I do remember I wasn't much bothered by cold weather as a kid. Flip flops in the snow even. But I have to imagine there was no way for the cabin in a VW van to get really warm in the winter. Probably more body heat generated by five kids and two adults in the car.

#36 ·
What is a 100d? MX? You really have a lot to learn when it comes to Tesla service and delivery. I am not a happy Kia owner, but my Kia dealer service experience (and Ford, Lincoln and Chrysler dealers for my other cars), is FAR superior to my Tesla service experience. Dealer I purchased my Niro from was great also. Great delivery experience...as contrasted with two Tesla deliveries that were abysmal.
Don't get me wrong, Tesla makes a great 5th car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.