Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All these suggestions are related to the onboard BEEPERS.

1. Disengage the Front Parking Sensors when the vehicle is in Reverse. I use this feature all the time because our driveway is just long enough to fit 2 vehicles if they are parked VERY close together so the sensors work great for that. However, it is annoying the next time I go move the vehicle. Obviously, I'm going to be moving backward so temporarily disengage the front parking sensors when the vehicle is in reverse. Thank-you!

2. Allow the owner to adjust the volume of the Lane Departure Warning, and Blind Spot Monitoring beeper which triggers if you engage the Turn Signal when another vehicle is still sensed. Not everyone is "Stone Cold Deaf". I've been able to find a volume adjustment for the Parking Sensors (now on minimum) but not these two.

3. Reduce the length of time that the Blind Spot Detection system stays turned on. I've had MANY instances where a vehicle is passing me and pulling away and I can already see their taillights, yet the darn beeper goes off when I hit the turn signal. Arghh! Gimme a break already. :mad:

I believe these are all pretty simple software updates which could be implemented with a Flash Upgrade during a routine service appointment. Heck, if this was a Tesla, they'd just implement the changes to all their vehicles via a "Cloud Update". Beepers can be, and have been, a valuable safety aid BUT they can become VERY annoying if overused.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Niro PHEV has introduced us to the great driving experience of EV cars at least for the first 24 miles before the ICE kicks in.

In the next few weeks our Niro will have a Tesla 100d ( 300 mile EV range) parked next to it.
Buying the Niro via its dealership network was unpleasant. I'd rather go the dentist than buy another car at a Kia dealership.... the sales experience is dreadful. Tesla sales is by comparison wonderful and treats customers as honorable not entities to prey upon. The Tesla software upgrade is just plain smart to do it via the cloud.

Niro has much to learn...if you build a great car it sells itself so get rid of the sales staff and convert dealerships to service only and pass the savings onto customers.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The Niro PHEV has introduced us to the great driving experience of EV cars at least for the first 24 miles before the ICE kicks in.

In the next few weeks our Niro will have a Tesla 100d ( 300 mile EV range) parked next to it.
Buying the Niro via its dealership network was unpleasant. I'd rather go the dentist than buy another car at a Kia dealership.... the sales experience is dreadful. Tesla sales is by comparison wonderful and treats customers as honorable not entities to prey upon. The Tesla software upgrade is just plain smart to do it via the cloud.

Niro has much to learn...if you build a great car it sells itself so get rid of the sales staff and convert dealerships to service only and pass the savings onto customers.

Its almost like you are saying that by paying $100,000 vs $25,000, you got a better dealer...imagine that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I noticed that about the Blind Spot warning. The car next to me was not quite ahead of me, but I put on my blinker to begin to change lanes, but not immediately, and the car beeped at me. It made me stop the lane change because I thought there was someone else behind me. I don’t think it should be changed, but just something that you’re aware of.

I doubt they will allow adjustable volume LDW or BSM. They’ve probably done studies as to what’s the most annoying level the sounds should be at so it gets people’s attentions. Adjustable volumes would open them up to lawsuits from people who turned them down and then didn’t hear it and ended up in crashes.

·
Super Moderator
494 Posts
The warning beeps are almost inaudible in my car at speed. Windows open or stereo loud, sub-audible. I wouldn't mind if they were a bit louder.

You have the Blind Spot warning option in the LX versions ?? ... in Canada, it's in the EX Premium and SX version.. not on the L and EX version.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife (it is her daily driver) isn't happy with the steering feel. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee has 3 modes - Normal, Soft and Sport. She's experimented with those, and like Normal. She wished the Niro had steering options. I turned off lane departure control, and she likes it better but still likes the Jeep better than the Niro.

·
Registered
231 Posts
All these suggestions are related to the onboard BEEPERS.

1. Disengage the Front Parking Sensors when the vehicle is in Reverse. I use this feature all the time because our driveway is just long enough to fit 2 vehicles if they are parked VERY close together so the sensors work great for that. However, it is annoying the next time I go move the vehicle. Obviously, I'm going to be moving backward so temporarily disengage the front parking sensors when the vehicle is in reverse. Thank-you!
This one is easy, just use the console button near the shifter to toggle the parking sensors off/on when reversing out of your driveway.

Sometimes my front sensors go batty while in stop and go traffic and pick up the car in front of me. That button has been a sanity saver!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sometimes my front sensors go batty while in stop and go traffic and pick up the car in front of me. That button has been a sanity saver!
I am not sure how sensitive your system is, in my EV the front sensors don't beep until you are 1m (40") away from the object. In stop and go traffic this is pretty close! I am sure if you would drive like this in our city, you would likely induce road rage for tailgating.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I am not sure how sensitive your system is, in my EV the front sensors don't beep until you are 1m (40") away from the object. In stop and go traffic this is pretty close! I am sure if you would drive like this in our city, you would likely induce road rage for tailgating.
I don't tailgate so I think my sensors are either a) dirty (easy to fix) b) overly sensitive or c) misaligned or something. It doesn't happen all the time. Maybe once a week or every other week.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't tailgate so I think my sensors are either a) dirty (easy to fix) b) overly sensitive or c) misaligned or something. It doesn't happen all the time. Maybe once a week or every other week.
This whole conversation triggered me to do some more discovery and testing, since I never have the 'annoying' beeping in traffic. I usually have the parking distance warning off (LED indicator on switch is not lit up). When I put the car in reverse the system switches on. I do a lot of parallel parking so this is quite common. When moving forward after a reverse during parking, the systems front sensors do their work. When I drive off the system will switch off at a certain speed (haven't determined which speed). Despite that the manual for the EV is a great improvement (layout, readability) over the HEV/PHEV manual, this is not well described.

All in all I find that all of the system's functionality work very intuitively and are hands off. So the automation does its work. My only gripe is that the AUTO HOLD doesn't persist over an off/on cycle. So that is the only manual thing I need to do when I start a trip (besides starting the car :) ).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Give me a no ICE period, selection. I'll take the 1kw heater alone and whatever max EV acceleration is. Inadvertent ICE when I want EV only is annoying. Battery approaching damaging low? Auto ICE is obviously OK. Otherwise give me the option.

And again, give me an indication of friction brake use.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Give me a no ICE period, selection. I'll take the 1kw heater alone and whatever max EV acceleration is. Inadvertent ICE when I want EV only is annoying.
It is really easy to keep the ICE off in the PHEV. No cabin heat and keep the Eco gauge needle IN ECO. If you go into the power bar, the ICE will fire.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts