Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 60 yr old single woman looking to buy a Niro. Based on my needs it ticks all the boxes. I will admit I have not test driven one. I am coming from a Honda Insight (Honda's version of a Prius) and I am spoiled to the gas mileage.
I travel major interstates in the southeast regularly and it is concerning to me that I do not see these on the road. Is it not a big seller for Kia?
How comfortable is it on long trips?
Does anyone know anything about the hybrid technology used in the Niro engine? I am wondering if it is the same or similar to Honda's.
Any feedback you can give me is appreciated. Thanks for letting me join.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Niros are a different hybrid, Toyota and Honda and Ford all chose a single speed transmission, but Kia chose a standard type of transmission with 6 speeds. Is one better than the other...I doubt it, just different technologies.

As to comfort on a trip, I've driven from NC to PA several times usually without stopping except for gas. It's quite comfortable.

You can't go wrong with a Niro.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hi and Welcome. I think you'll be happy with a Niro. While I have driven other hybrids I've only owned a Prius from 2004-2018 and got my Niro in 2018. Just the regular hybrid LX version. I think you don't see many Niro's because they've only been out since 2017. If you could see which Prius, Insight, Fusions that were made since 2017 you wouldn't see many of them either. But I can tell you the Niro holds it own with the Prius. It's a touch bigger, like Griswald said it has a 6 speed transmission shifted automatically which in my mind gives it a slight edge in mpg's to the Niro. I was happy to see I always get 2-4 mpg more with my Niro compared to my Prius. However you can't beat Toyota for quality and dealer service. The Niro, while mine has been trouble free I think there is a difference in dealer service. The Niro is very comfortable for long trips. We go back and forth from Fl. to Pa. a couple times a year to see our kids and the Niro is great for those trips. Hope this helps. Just try to make sure you check out the dealer to see if he will go to bat for you on the outside chance you have trouble.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
209 Posts
I am a 60 yr old single woman looking to buy a Niro. Based on my needs it ticks all the boxes. I will admit I have not test driven one. I am coming from a Honda Insight (Honda's version of a Prius) and I am spoiled to the gas mileage.
I travel major interstates in the southeast regularly and it is concerning to me that I do not see these on the road. Is it not a big seller for Kia?
Does anyone know anything about the hybrid technology used in the Niro engine? I am wondering if it is the same or similar to Honda's.
Hello Jan,
I highly recommend it. It has been a great car so far. I have put in 40k with no problems. The Niros are different than the Prius and Insight. I came from a 2014 Prius and switched.

Niros are a 1.6L gasoline direct injection which will give you more power and better gas mileage. Their transmissions is a dual clutch. I know the Prius and Insights use CVT which I am not a fan.

Long trips are comfortable. You may feel bumps depending on types of roads.

Test drive one and see which trims you like.

·
Registered
2021 Niro Hybrid LX
23 Posts
We just got back yesterday from a trip from Altoona, PA to Rehoboth Beach, DE and back. It was actually quite comfortable on the trip. It's definitely better than our '21 Rio, and I'd say I had less driver fatigue than when we took my former '14 Lincoln MKT on that trip last year. I averaged 50 MPG when I filled up the day before we came home. It took a hair over a half tank to come home (between 5-6 gallons). I was impressed to see a good handful of these around Rehoboth, both hybrids and electrics. I'm not sure if any could've been plug-ins, but I don't think any were. During my commutes to and from work, which is usually 85 MPH highway for about 8 miles each way, in the mountains of PA, I end up averaging around 46 MPG.

The dual clutch automatic transmission takes some getting used to. It's not smooth by any stretch of the imagination, but that's the nature of that type of transmission. They do surge when stopping, which is the biggest complaint for them, in general. I did see Kia made some changes to them for '22, so they may be a little smoother.

As others have said, take one for a good test drive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wouldn't fret too much about not seeing many of them on the road. The biggest limiting factor to sales is not demand, but supply. Simply put, Kia is having difficulty in obtaining adequate supplies of batteries. This is a problem endemic to the industry right now for major car makers. Big EV makers like Tesla have a lot of investment and partnering to secure their own batteries, but traditional automakers are still struggling to ramp up battery production.

The Niro slots in a unique position in the hybrid market, it's sort of a low key / "Stealth" hybrid, in that it doesn't have the quirky appearance of many hybrids and blends in with regular vehicles quite well.

As stated above, you should test drive and see if it works for you before buying. This pretty much goes for any vehicle purchase.

Another factor here, right now fuel prices are on the rise, but not near historic highs so a lot of people aren't focusing on efficiency when shopping.

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem Leased
29 Posts
They are fantastic! They are just hard to get in some states so not a lot around yet. I've seen a few around! I live in Utah and they only started selling them in Utah earlier this year.

I like the full EV personally and I think it's fantastic. Comfortable, quiet, affordable, and more power than you'd ever need. I wouldn't ever get a hybrid or gas again - No need to burn gas and spend a bunch of money maintaining the engine. But if you live in Alaska where the charging network is poor and like to go on road trips the plug-in hybrid (PHEV) is probably the one I would go for.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro HEV Touring Special Edition
63 Posts
Love my 2020 touring HEV. I’ve seen a surprising number of them now that I’m looking. Still not super common, but enough in my area that I see a few a week. So far it’s been super comfortable and fun to drive. I’ve put in almost 4,000 miles in two months and I’m coming from a forte. This car is a little bit bigger and the seats are definitely more comfortable. No real learning curve unless you are really going to try and squeeze the most MPG out of it. If you make the car kick into EV mode as often as possible you can drive the MPG up 4-5 overall. I look forward to driving!

·
Registered
130 Posts
We bought a 19Niro touring in June 19 and couldn't be happier
We bought our 19 Niro touring in June 19 and couldn't be happier .It's been trouble free except for one check engine light brought on by a bad sensor under warranty . After buying I made the decision to change the 18 inch wheels and tires for 16's . Better ride and fuel economy slightly less sharp in handing and braking , but still really good. If you drive on big freeways some people say that they'd like more power . Power seems good to me but I'm not in a hurry anymore . I like how it operates and find it to be very relaxing . It's the best car that we've ever owneand sends back approximately twice the fuel economy but that was an old Focus . In your case there wouldn't be a huge difference . I highly recommend this car .

·
Registered
435 Posts
I really like our Niro PHEV EX Premium, very comfortable for me on 2 hr trips, I love all the little "extra" features.

My wife, not so much - too :"busy/ techy / complicated" & not comfortable for her (we are both 72, about 5' 7", ~ 160 lbs)

She is so unhappy with it that we are looking at the 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid as a replacement. It is a very nice rig, fuel efficient rig, but quite a bit larger than the Niro, and somewhat more traditional / basic. I'd suggest that you consider adding the Escape to your shopping list

Also, if you spend a few hours on this site you will see that the Niros have had their fair share of glitches.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
If I could have found a '22 Niro EV that didn't have a second sticker on it, I probably would have gotten that instead of my Bolt. I was quite happy with my '19 Niro PHEV, but wanted to move to full EV. If you have the ability to plug in, the PHEV is really the way to go. Drive for months without filling the gas tank, enjoy the quietness of EV power. Kia does many things quite well with their hybrids. I only had one minor quibble with the DCT, in that it wasn't always in the best gear in EV mode for climbing the hills I have around me. It would slow down, then downshift, and all was well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We bought a 2020 Honda Insight Touring. I should have listened to the folks on the Insight forum about the seats. They sit very low and are not supportive at all. I've had back problems for a long time. We traded the Insight for a 2020 Kia Niro Touring. It has the 10 way adjustable drivers seat with lumbar support and we couldn't be happier. We gave up some mileage going with the touring but I like the wheels and the handling. We took a beating on the trade but we'd do it again. The cerulean blue color is gorgeous too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Drove from El Paso (TX) to Cottage Grove (MN). Took 3 days (about 8 hrs/day). Driving at 60-65mph, 52mpg; 70-75mph, 46mpg; 75-80mph, 39-42. On the way back, averaged a bit higher. I think my Niro likes the desert heat as the last part of the trip, from Tularosa (where I filled up) to EP, we were traveling about 70mph a good part of the way and the screen said 52mpg average.. The wind resistance at higher speeds makes a huge difference. The seats are -way- more comfortable than the church pews in my wife's Prius V.

I bought the bottom of the line LX and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2019 Kia Niro EV...it is far and away the best car I have ever owned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Though I am in the Northeast. I drive a 500 mile highway trip once a month. I'm a 5'10" 175 pound guy and find the seats fine for those long trips. My 6'4" son can sit behind me very comfortably (but not in my wife's 2018 Ioniq). Her Ioniq gets 60 mpg consistently on trips and 50 in stop and go in town. My Niro plug in hybrid gets about 55 mpg on the long trips and 40+ in town, if I never plug in. I drive about 10 miles a day and then plug in (getting 999 mpg!)and it seems to have little affect on my electric bill. Neither car has any problem accelerating from zero into 50 mph traffic and handles very predictably. I've sold Mazdas, VW's, Subarus and Audis and driven Hondas and Toyotas and you should find the adjustment to be easy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello. I’m 63 year old man who owns a 2018 Niro Touring. My wife uses it for commuting 60 miles one way and gets about 50 mpg. We drove it from Delaware to Kansas City, about 1,100 miles and really had no complaints on comfort. Know that I’m 6 ft 8 inches tall, and except for a cushion I used between my right leg and the hard plastic center console, the Niro’s comfort level is pretty good. The original tires were pretty stiff, but we’ve since replaced the originals, after 65,000 miles, with Michelin CrossClimate2 and they have made a huge difference in ride quality and noise reduction.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
334 Posts
We traded in a 2008 Prius for our then new 2019 Niro PHEV EX.

I appreciated the Prius economy and reliability.

I have found our 2019 Niro after 34,000 miles on it to be just as reliable and economical. It is light years ahead of the Prius in comfort and features also.

You would be hard pressed to buy a vehicle with more value for the dollar than the Niro.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wife and I went from a 2011 Prius to the 2017 Niro, the seats are much more comfortable and the mileage is really great, came home from Costco after filling up and averaged 54 mpg in the lunch traffic, also have been traveling the interstates and running on electric only except when climbing hills, plus if I don't use my lead foot can travel around town on electric, which we couldn't do in the prius, can carry 2 medical scooters in the back and no effect mileage, we love it.

·
Registered
2018 Niro EX Touring Graphite Edition
72 Posts
We live in NE NJ. We have a 2018 EX which my wife uses going to work, city 6-7 miles one-way. She had a Camry before which was nice and trouble free but gave us a shellacking with fuel mileage. I drove a stick shift VW Golf diesel so we rid ourselves of that and bought the Niro. We test drove a Prius, CVT, low seats(I'm 70 and tall) and to much Jetsons. We test drove an Insight, CVT and we found the seating positions to be appalling. I couldn't find enough leg room and my wife couldn't jack the seat up enough. Having an Insight I'm sure you're aware of the effects weather, terrain and driving style have on mileage. The Niro is very comfortable getting in and out of, no more deep knee bends. While city and better still 40 mph country lanes are a hybrid's forte, I do 80 mile round trips in ours on occasion and still get over 50mpg, just city we get almost 60mpg. On highways with hilly terrain the engine can get quite busy/buzzy so it's no BMW 750i. We have 15k miles on ours now and we've had no issues yet. I've added a spare tire and jack in ours(about two hundred dollars online) for peace of mind We've since added a 21 Niro EV. KIA is a very underrated car company. The trio of KIA, Hyundai and Genesis will be coming out with a new EV, very exciting time for EV's. I was going to buy a new hybrid Venza but COVID and Toyota took care of that, wasn't even considering an EV until we bought one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts