Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
We did the same path as you. First a Honda, then a Prius... Then we wanted a new car and the Prius V was discontinued! They wanted us to get a 4WD with much less gas mileage! So we found out about the Kia Niro, looked at it and we love it! We bought it "loaded" for the safety features and LOVE them. Safety features may be on more models now... We have around 35000 miles and absolutely no issues with it! The only problem is it is a big smaller than the Prius V... Because of the safety features, we generally drive the Kia. We live in a place where all roads to somewhere are twisty and narrow... My husband can get 50 mpg.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am a 60 yr old single woman looking to buy a Niro. Based on my needs it ticks all the boxes. I will admit I have not test driven one. I am coming from a Honda Insight (Honda's version of a Prius) and I am spoiled to the gas mileage.
I travel major interstates in the southeast regularly and it is concerning to me that I do not see these on the road. Is it not a big seller for Kia?
How comfortable is it on long trips?
Does anyone know anything about the hybrid technology used in the Niro engine? I am wondering if it is the same or similar to Honda's.
Any feedback you can give me is appreciated. Thanks for letting me join.
I absolutely love my ‘20 PHEV. Best car I’ve ever had. I’ve taken two long (3500-4000 mi.) trips and find it a wonderful driver that’s very economical. And most of my daily drives can be handled solely in EV mode so I go several months without gassing up. And when I do I only fill up half way unless I’m taking a long trip to ensure the gas doesn’t degrade from sitting in the tank too long. Plus its shape makes it a great hauler. I can fit quite a bit in the back with the back seat up and really haul a lot with it down. To me, the Niro is the unsung hero of Kia’s lineup. It’s a well thought out practical car that provides a lot of bang for the buck, yet for some reason gets a small fraction of the press that the Soul gets.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am a 60 yr old single woman looking to buy a Niro. Based on my needs it ticks all the boxes. I will admit I have not test driven one. I am coming from a Honda Insight (Honda's version of a Prius) and I am spoiled to the gas mileage.
I travel major interstates in the southeast regularly and it is concerning to me that I do not see these on the road. Is it not a big seller for Kia?
Does anyone know anything about the hybrid technology used in the Niro engine? I am wondering if it is the same or similar to Honda's.
I have 2017 Kia Niro EX and I love this car. I average 50-52 mpg. I have decided I want the all new Ford Maverick compact pick up truck and have one ordered to be built this fall. I will sell my Niro when truck arrives at dealership. It only has 21, 300 miles on it right now and has been 100% trouble free since purchase in March 2107. I will really miss it but I just want a truck instead. If you buy Niro I think you will love it. They are so economical…and a very nice quiet ride.

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem Leased
29 Posts
I have a Niro EV and I love it! I average about 4.5 mi/kwh (150 MPGe) and it's silent, relaxing, and runs circles around most cars on the road. And now I do lots of road trips because I can go anywhere without using any gas.

There are some killer lease deals right now too fyi. Highly recommend test driving one. Get the base model, premium is not worth it.
Highly recommend!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am 6' 8" 6x years old ;) and drive the Niro PHEV. Most of my trips are 2 - 4 miles but I have driven it on long trips. Very comfortable even for a plus sized dude. I got 62 MPG on a long trip and I usually get 999MPG as most of my trips are all ev.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Niro EV and I love it! I average about 4.5 mi/kwh (150 MPGe) and it's silent, relaxing, and runs circles around most cars on the road. And now I do lots of road trips because I can go anywhere without using any gas.

There are some killer lease deals right now too fyi. Highly recommend test driving one. Get the base model, premium is not worth it.
Highly recommend!
Premium is actually awesome!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have 2017 Kia Niro EX and I love this car. I average 50-52 mpg. I have decided I want the all new Ford Maverick compact pick up truck and have one ordered to be built this fall. I will sell my Niro when truck arrives at dealership. It only has 21, 300 miles on it right now and has been 100% trouble free since purchase in March 2107. I will really miss it but I just want a truck instead. If you buy Niro I think you will love it. They are so economical…and a very nice quiet ride.
You’ll no doubt get a good price for your Niro since it’s such a seller’s market right now. I’m considering a Maverick too once my Niro lease is up in ‘23, but would miss my PHEV which I use like an electric most of the time. However if Ford offers the Maverick in a PHEV model by then it’ll be tough to say no since it looks like the Mav will knock it out of the park value-wise. Ford will sell a lot of them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You’ll no doubt get a good price for your Niro since it’s such a seller’s market right now. I’m considering a Maverick too once my Niro lease is up in ‘23, but would miss my PHEV which I use like an electric most of the time. However if Ford offers the Maverick in a PHEV model by then it’ll be tough to say no since it looks like the Mav will knock it out of the park value-wise. Ford will sell a lot of them.
I expect a plug in version of Maverick to appear in 2023.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a previously-owned 2019 Niro EX less than 2 weeks ago. (Had to buy used because local dealers haven't stocked them new.) It's my 6th hybrid and is already my favorite! Came with tank partially filled, I filled it up and haven't come close to needing a refuel. Consequently, I cannot boast of actual mileage (=miles drive/gallons pumped). but the onboard computer is showing stratospheric mpg numbers. (Right now it's at 59+ mpg!!) I know the computer is not accurate, but unless it is completely haywire, this car is a real winner in all regards! Go for it.

·
Registered
2021 Niro Hybrid LX
23 Posts
I just purchased a previously-owned 2019 Niro EX less than 2 weeks ago. (Had to buy used because local dealers haven't stocked them new.) It's my 6th hybrid and is already my favorite! Came with tank partially filled, I filled it up and haven't come close to needing a refuel. Consequently, I cannot boast of actual mileage (=miles drive/gallons pumped). but the onboard computer is showing stratospheric mpg numbers. (Right now it's at 59+ mpg!!) I know the computer is not accurate, but unless it is completely haywire, this car is a real winner in all regards! Go for it.
So far, mine has been as far off as 5 MPG (optimistic), and as close as within 1 MPG. If you're driving a pretty heavy mix of city driving, it's quite possible to be near 60 MPG. I took a fairly long trip last month (mini vacation - over 480 miles between driving there and some driving around while there), and averaged 50.9 MPG (calculated - display showed 55) with a good mix of highway and mountains when I filled up before the return trip. According to my Fuelly log, it's averaging 6.8¢ per mile. What kills mine is the 80-85 MPH drive on the interstate for 8 miles driving to work per day each way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So far, mine has been as far off as 5 MPG (optimistic), and as close as within 1 MPG. If you're driving a pretty heavy mix of city driving, it's quite possible to be near 60 MPG. I took a fairly long trip last month (mini vacation - over 480 miles between driving there and some driving around while there), and averaged 50.9 MPG (calculated - display showed 55) with a good mix of highway and mountains when I filled up before the return trip. According to my Fuelly log, it's averaging 6.8¢ per mile. What kills mine is the 80-85 MPH drive on the interstate for 8 miles driving to work per day each way.
Thanks for the feedback. Your experience is very encouraging. Much of my driving is suburban/exurban. My first 5 hybrids tended to be about 3%-7% optimistic and varied from tank to tank with each car. For sure, speed kills mpg. At least the 3 overdrive gears mitigate the penalty quite a bit. My first 5 began to lose efficiency over 60 mph. Where I live in VA, there are no legal speeds above 70. Anxious to find how the Niro does at above 60.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts