Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo this forum is so freaking dead because it's so messy.

Too many categories and some that shouldn't even be categories are categories and it's just confusing to scroll through and find topics.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Most of us just check the new feed, rather than go through categories.
This is one my two favorite forums my other being cloudy nights i think that basically everything i know about our niro is from this forum well along with alex on autos most forums that I've looked at are pretty juvenile. I even found the ionic forum far more negative so don't change things just for changes sake you've got a winning combination here in my books.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Wow, just looked. Would you believe 32 forums?! Whoever started this forum could care less. Spent a couple hours creating it initially, then sit back and collect advertising dollars while volunteer moderators create new forums.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Wow, just looked. Would you believe 32 forums?! Whoever started this forum could care less. Spent a couple hours creating it initially, then sit back and collect advertising dollars while volunteer moderators create new forums.
As Moderator we can't create the separate forum groups. Only the Admin can do that. So don't blame us. :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think it's pretty common on any community forum to end up with a whole bunch of sub-topics only some of which are actually active.

For example my other car related community, TDI Club Forums has a total of 60 topics. The most popular has over 80k threads while there are several in the single digits.

Even if you discount the fact that there are 20 model specific sub-groups on that board you still have 40 different forums.

We've got a ways to go before we get to that level.

In all seriousness, like @drewesque I just hit the New button at the top of the page. I never actually use the forum directory unless I'm starting a post and want to make sure I put in the in right place.

Plus as @FlNiro points out, running a website costs money and we don't pay a dime to be here so those funds have to come from somewhere. The ads on this forum are pretty unobtrusive compared to some (most?) so I have no complaints. I'm sure the admins used a template to set up the board and didn't spend a ton of time thinking about the proper disposition of forum topics. Assuming they are actually paid I'm sure it's not nearly enough to design a custom layout for every affinity forum they support.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
No one has complained about the ads. No doubt a car forum that has more than one car may find sub forums useful, but there is no need for that here. Just for fun, I looked at a computer forum, which I would think everyone can agree has a far larger scope of topics than a single car forum with exactly three models. Arstechnica, perhaps the most popular computer and technology forum provider (including car discussions), has a total of 23 sub forums.

What exactly is the purpose of dividing a low traffic forum into 32 sub forums? For what user does that provide utility? If anything, it will drive most users into using the rather poor built in search function, or Google to search for specific information needed.

Frankly, mostly the only time the crazy number of forums affects me personally is on the rare occasion when I start a new thread. And it does suck big on those occasions as I'm left scratching my head wondering where my thread belongs. But fortunately, I otherwise never have to navigate that list as I simply use new posts as my home page. A new user may not think of that though, and completely miss that a third new daily thread on poor mpg is not really needed as he cannot see those two new threads. So that is another downside of crazy number of sub forums.

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
I'm still active on TDIClub as well, but it's really gotten quiet there with the loss of diesel sales overall.

I just looked at VWVortex, and under just the VW sub-group (they also have Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti, SEAT, Skoda and another dozen of other sub-groups) there are 47 sub-groups, broken down by model, and for some models by generation. There are 15 sub-groups just for the Golf/Rabbit. So there certainly are other auto forums with a lot of sub-groups.

Could this forum be cleaned up with fewer groups? Certainly. This particular forum is specific to the Niro, so many of our sub-groups could easily be merged. Have a subgroup for BEV, PHEV and HEV, then maybe a handful of groups under each of those. Have a few overarching groups, such as New Members, Classified, and perhaps a few more. But it will be up to the Admins to make any changes. We moderators can only control threads and individual posts. We can also ban a user for inappropriate posts. But we have zero control over the layout of the forum.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
There are 15 sub-groups just for the Golf/Rabbit.
This is for a very popular car with seven generations and a number of engines and fuels (including EV). Clearly 32 sub-forums for our single generation car is silly based on your example. I don't really care that much, nor does the admin, but they will probably listen to moderator suggestions and perhaps even bump your control level up so they don't have to do the busy work.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I belong to a lot of forums and this one is messy but it don't brother me any. I just go to new posts every time. I do wish it was a little more active.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Lol @ folks complaining about a completely free vast knowledge base of topics about their vehicle.

If it seems dead it’s probably because the most active among us are tired of answering the same questions day in and day out. Why is my engine cutting on despite a full battery? Why does my transmission shift funny? Do I really need to change the engine clutch actuator fluid? Which tires should I buy? After the upteenth time I don’t bother anymore, skip over them to find a thread about something new. Folks don’t bother searching or browsing before posting about the same crap over and over again.

Gosh when did I get so curmudgeon?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Normal to complain about a place we like to hang out. Do you think Facebook is any different? Same deal with a favorite restaurant, bar, or store. Normal to think about what could be improved. Same goes for our car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my biggest issues are that the grouping of the forum isn't very well done.... it's a bit like choice blindness. The forum should have large overall categories: HEV, PHEV, EV, General. Then break it down even further. the categories just aren't easy to navigate

Reactions: TK6

·
Registered
691 Posts
my biggest issues are that the grouping of the forum isn't very well done.... it's a bit like choice blindness. The forum should have large overall categories: HEV, PHEV, EV, General. Then break it down even further. the categories just aren't easy to navigate
I kind of agree with you although I wouldn't call it a big issue. It did take me a little bit to find the "right" section to post a new thread the other day but 99% of the time I just look at the new threads. This forum is not so busy that there a tons of active threads so usually I have at most a dozen with new posts.

I'm with @badyellowvette it would be nice if this forum was more active, but at the same time @TheSilverFlash is right, most of the new posts are repetitive so there's not a lot of new content. Part of that is that the Niro is a relative new, still low volume model so there aren't a lot of owners around to post. Second, related to the first is that since the Niro is new there aren't a lot of mods or improvements to talk about so that keeps the volume down as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so I was a very active member in the optimaforums and that was arranged more neatly.
The other issue is that this forum template itself is very.... weird. There's just something weird about this template that makes things more spaced out and harder to scroll through. Optimaforums also uses the same webhost and when they were forced to this template, their user rate dropped significantly as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts