Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit a pot hole the other night and immediately got a flat tire. After getting it home, I realized a little metal square had popped out of the wheel (see picture) and after a little bit of reading, I assume that this is part of the TPMS? And it popped out to keep the tire from blowing? My question is, what do I do now? Can that be put back, or do I need to buy something new to replace it? Obviously I am clueless about new car technology!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Picture isn't very clear, but that looks like a wheel weight. They are stuck onto the wheel to balance the wheel/tire combo.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
76 Posts
Most likely your TPMS is going off because you busted the seal on your tire. That tag (as pointed out) is a weight, so your tire probably needs to be removed and resealed and thats why the tag fell off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most likely your TPMS is going off because you busted the seal on your tire. That tag (as pointed out) is a weight, so your tire probably needs to be removed and resealed and thats why the tag fell off.
So I don’t need to buy anything? The tire shop will know what to do and can just remount the tire?

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
Yes, that image is clearly a wheel balancing weight. You can see it marked as 1/2 ounce/14 grams. Very typical weight size for balancing.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
76 Posts
At Worst, its a Tire a Rim.

Most likely, the Rim is okay (do all Niros have these alloys wheels?) but the tire is a shot in the dark.

At Best its just a new seal, super fast and easy and cheap. The TPMS may be broken, that can be a few bucks (but cheap).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At Worst, its a Tire a Rim.

Most likely, the Rim is okay (do all Niros have these alloys wheels?) but the tire is a shot in the dark.

At Best its just a new seal, super fast and easy and cheap. The TPMS may be broken, that can be a few bucks (but cheap).
Ok, I looked at the tire more closely, and it does need to be replaced. I don’t see any issue with the rim other than this thing popping out, which apparently is only a weight. So the tire place will be able to replace the weight while replacing the tire? I have never seen weights like this, and I don’t see how they are integrated into the wheel, but presumably the tire guys will be familiar with them. Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
225 Posts
Ok, I looked at the tire more closely, and it does need to be replaced. I don’t see any issue with the rim other than this thing popping out, which apparently is only a weight. So the tire place will be able to replace the weight while replacing the tire? I have never seen weights like this, and I don’t see how they are integrated into the wheel, but presumably the tire guys will be familiar with them. Thanks!
The weights are used to "balance" the tire and tire balancing is always part of the tire mounting process.
You do not have to take the old wheel weight to the tire shop. They always use new weights.
If the rim is steel, the whack from the pot hole can be hammered back into relatively the correct shape. If aluminum alloy, the process to repair is much more involved and costly - cannot be "hammered" back into correct shape, rather has to be heated and molded...many tire shops would just try to sell a new rim.

·
Registered
234 Posts
All the Niro models come with aluminum rims. But whether Carolyn's rim was damaged, we can't tell from that photo.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
225 Posts
All the Niro models come with aluminum rims. But whether Carolyn's rim was damaged, we can't tell from that photo.
No we can't and because Niro rims are not low profile, there is a good chance it is OK but the fact that the wheel weight was knocked loose suggests a pretty good whack...

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
The balancing weights are self-adhesive, and cannot be re-used. The tire shop might be able to recycle it, so worth bringing it back to them.

Since it hit something hard, make sure the tire shop is aware, so they can examine the wheel carefully for possible damage. Alloy wheels can be damaged and not be visible to the untrained eye.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
225 Posts
You might want to have your alignment checked as well...
Alignment only needs to be checked if rim hits a curb from the side.
If car does not handle like before the pot hole, then inspection and possible alignment might be needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts