Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks,

I need help to understand tire pressure changes if you downsize. My 2018 EX came with 225/45R/18 tires and the door jamb specifies 36 PSI. I did my best to run that all summer and happily averaged 46-50mpg.

I have four 215/55R/17 Continental snow tires on rims leftover from my prior Toyota. They have a lot of tread on them and want to use them here in upstate New York. I've put them on the car, but am unsure what pressure to run them at. My instincts tell me to use the same 36 PSI.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Width shouldn't be an issue, the snow tires are narrower. Assuming the rims have the same offset.

As they said, run per the door jams directions. I have 15" rims for my winters and run 36 in them. Softer ride due to the tall sidewalls.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everybody! In my country Ukraine, we usually have two sets of wheels (at least I have them) summer and winter ones. In my variant, they are on 16" rims and I always try to have 2.5 bar (36 PCI) air pressure in them. During cold weather, if the air temperature low I pump up all wheels to 2.5. Because it's a question of fuel economy.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
120 Posts
Hi folks,

I need help to understand tire pressure changes if you downsize. My 2018 EX came with 225/45R/18 tires and the door jamb specifies 36 PSI. I did my best to run that all summer and happily averaged 46-50mpg.

I have four 215/55R/17 Continental snow tires on rims leftover from my prior Toyota. They have a lot of tread on them and want to use them here in upstate New York. I've put them on the car, but am unsure what pressure to run them at. My instincts tell me to use the same 36 PSI.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
I would run them the same. I don't think it will make a difference. I personally just stick with the same size. I don't run 36. I run 39 since it makes my car handle better and my mpg goes up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts