Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,464 Posts
I'm near sea level, so no altitude. We have had some significant low temps (for Seattle) the last week, but my TPMS hasn't ever triggered. I just so happened to check the readout a day or so ago, and all tires were within 1 PSI of each other, right at 38-39, which is where I pumped them to about a month ago (or somewhere around there)

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
85 Posts
Colorado has some Famous temperature swings. If I were to ensure perfect pressure via having it, I would have to adjust daily. I would love to set the sensitivity down. I dont need this thing reminding me at one psi off, that happens parked for groceries around here. Not to mention that until today, my compressor was frozen...

My 08 Rio couldn't keep TPMS happy. I am curious if others have had issues with it being too sensitive in either 1 - Dry climates or 2 - High Altitude.
TPMS will not give a warning for pressure that is higher than manufacturer recommendation so I would set pressure around 36 - 38 psi during regular temps for this time of year and when it dips, you will be fine and if the temp goes up substantially, you will also be OK - maybe just a harsher ride at that point.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
46 Posts
Good idea on going up to fool the sensor, i am on board with that idea.

While going up to 34 is okay in my book, is 38 not dangerous to the car in general?

Has anyone nitrogen filled? I did that on my 1998 truck with big ole A/T tires and it seemed to help.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
85 Posts
Good idea on going up to fool the sensor, i am on board with that idea.

While going up to 34 is okay in my book, is 38 not dangerous to the car in general?

Has anyone nitrogen filled? I did that on my 1998 truck with big ole A/T tires and it seemed to help.
Nitrogen fill will reduce the fluctuations but personally, I don't think it is worth the expense. Will also reduce bead leaks but that should not be a problem until the car is at least 8 - 10 yrs old.
38 is not dangerous at all. Max tire pressure is generally 44 psi (cold) and while that will cause a harsher ride it is not dangerous for the car.
I run my tire pressure at 36 - 38 psi (cold) and will adjust as seasons change.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,464 Posts
I checked my TP this morning. Three reported 39 with one reporting 38. It's been at least a month since I pumped them all to 38-39.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
46 Posts
Today - 65 degrees, sunny at 4pm. Itll be 15 degrees and snowing by morning. Colorado...

I inflated today to 38, lets see what this snap will do. N2 fill is 5 bucks for all 4 tires at my local tire place so I would not put that in the 'expense' column. Higher pressure on the road will cause more bead leakage than N2 will - I am going to try that next. My previous Kia, I stopped having them install sensors and just drove 100000+ miles through 3 sets of tires and never cared about the light being on. This Kia just likes to yell [read:beep] at me more so its that much more annoying...

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
85 Posts
Today - 65 degrees, sunny at 4pm. Itll be 15 degrees and snowing by morning. Colorado...

I inflated today to 38, lets see what this snap will do. N2 fill is 5 bucks for all 4 tires at my local tire place so I would not put that in the 'expense' column. Higher pressure on the road will cause more bead leakage than N2 will - I am going to try that next. My previous Kia, I stopped having them install sensors and just drove 100000+ miles through 3 sets of tires and never cared about the light being on. This Kia just likes to yell [read:beep] at me more so its that much more annoying...
BTW bead leaks are generally worse on aluminum alloy rims and not until corrosion starts to take effect, like 6 - 8 years and winter salt may hasten the corrosion. Bead leaks will tend to be less at high pressure.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Just did a one week round trip to Florida. Left home at 36 psi at 20 degrees, 42 psi in 80 degrees (one day only). Back home and perfect pressure again (unfortunately).

21 - 28 of 28 Posts