Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have or had an OBD11 scanner, Would you share your opinions as to their usefulness overall?
I’m contemplating buying the ‘Automatic Pro’ or ‘The Blue Driver’.....both are priced similarly. (Approx. $100-$200 on Amazon)
I’m not interested in the cheaper ones because I want it Bluetooth-enabled to use with my cellphone.
Thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
85 Posts
In my experience, very useful if/when you throw a code (check engine light), but it will probably just collect dust till then...

I use a cheaper OBDII code reader on my 2 older vehicles a couple times a year for diagnosis of a problem for (usually) self-repair; But if I had to use it on my Niro, it'd just be to pre-confirm the dealership's diagnosis, since I do NOT trust my local dealerships to be honest - and at this point, pretty much 99.9% of "Check engine" code repairs would be covered by warranty.
(I would NOT be comfortable wrenching my own repairs on the computer-reliant Niro, compared to my 1998-2002 vehicles, for which I am 100% comfortable doing all maintenance and roughly 75-90% of repairs myself.)

So, for me, a code reader UNDER $100 has been very helpful... but my needs may be different form yours.

·
Registered
452 Posts
A $20 OBD2 reader will have bluetooth, Ive got 2. Both work fine for diagnostics.

If you want real-time monitoring, get a direct plug-in version. No need to remember to tun on and connect a phone.

I recommend the Ultragauge, that's what I use as a real-time monitor. It just simply works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts