Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to your inspiration, I did the same with my installation and I'm much happier leaving the muffler guard in place. If you already have your grinder out and some primer on hand to modify the hitch, why not go for it with the guard as well?
Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm waiting for a Class 1 hitch, just to tow bicycles. A class 2 hitch is really overkill, and Class 3 ridiculous. I want no more than a 1" receiver, its less weight and space. But no way would I tow a trailer or mortorbikes, etc. in a hybrid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was able to get the Curt Trailer Hitch (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/C13329.html) installed on my 2018 PHEV today. No cutting necessary! I went to https://www.capworld.com/ in Saugus (Boston Area) and they did it in 1 hr for $100. They said it was really tight but didn't have to cut a thing. I called a UHaul and they were reluctant. Hope this helps others... I've been looking into doing this a very long time and was glad it was so easy. Now to find the right carrier...

·
Registered
9 Posts
To follow up, ended up getting this 300lb capacity ATV cargo carrier very cheap from Harbor Freight (300 lb. Capacity ATV Cargo Carrier). I wanted something smaller than the big 60" wide carriers, and one that had an angled hitch since the Niro doesn't have that much clearance. This carrier is light and cheap. Great buy when paired with a hitch tightener.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I made an appointment to have Rack and Roll store in Seattle install a Curt hitch with 2" receiver (much better for bike rack than 1.25"). They say they can do it but just need to trim a small piece. They are more expensive than Uhaul but I just have a better feeling about the store. I will post after the installation. One downside it that it will reduce ground clearance. Robert
Please let us know how it turned out with the Seattle installer and show a towing picture. Any driving changes you noticed?

Reactions: Sstr Maria

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ordered and installed the Curt C12171 1-1/4" trailer hitch receiver.
It's fit for purpose for my bike rack and 30 lbs lighter than the 2".
I have not noticed any driving changes with it.
There's a video there of how to install and people have posted pictures of their bike racks in the receiver.
I would not consider towing anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

I want ton install a hitch on my Niro PHEV and I can't find the detailed instructions you're mentionned. Can you tell me where I can find them?
Thank you

Caroline

My Kia dealer just installed a CURT 13329 receiver hitch on my 2018 Kia Niro PHEV. This is a hitch that is made for the Niro, but requires a simple modification to fit the PHEV. The modification requires using an angle grinder, or some other cutting tool, to cut a small notch (1/2" X 2 1/2") in the right side (passenger) vertical flange. The notch allows for a fit around a channel that is peculiar to the PHEV. If you find the CURT website and plug in "Kia Niro" it matches with the CURT 13329 hitch. Scroll down the reviews for the hitch and you will find a discussion with pictures of fitting the hitch to the PHEV.

My dealer was initially reluctant to install the hitch.............because they had never before installed one on a PHEV. When I went back with the detailed instructions from the CURT website and the pictures from the reviews, they decided they could use my vehicle as their prototype. Modification of the hitch and installation time: 40 minutes. Charge: $58.

I will not be towing anything. Hitch will be used only for bike rack.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I ordered and installed the Curt C12171 1-1/4" trailer hitch receiver.
It's fit for purpose for my bike rack and 30 lbs lighter than the 2".
I have not noticed any driving changes with it.
There's a video there of how to install and people have posted pictures of their bike racks in the receiver.
I would not consider towing anything.
Who did your install? Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro Phev SX Touring (EX Premium USA)
29 Posts
Successfully installed my hitch last weekend on my 2020 Niro Phev.
I got 1.25" hitch from Curt and angle grinned the one side to get it to fit. I also angle grinned the exhaust guard and kept it installed instead of removing it completely.
Class 2 Trailer Hitch, 1-1/4" Receiver, Select Kia Niro

The hitch feels very solid and I'm not concerned about the modification. There 6 bolts in total holding everything in place.

I'll be just using this for Bike carrier and maybe a small cargo tray. Won't be using it for any towing.
I haven't noticed any millage impact, the hitch only adds additional 26 lbs to the car.

Exhaust_Drop.jpg Support_Weld.jpg Hitch_Cut.jpg Install_Fit.jpg Exhaust_Guard.jpg Finished_Install.jpg

21 - 30 of 30 Posts