Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone's experience with the TPMS? I just had winters put on the car (X-Ice, EX Prem) with new TPMS installed on steel rims. Next morning I checked the pressure in all the tires (twice) with two different gauges, both reading 36psi. The TMPS gives me readings of 38-40?!?!? Is this normal? Before putting on the winters, I just assumed the TPMS readings were accurate.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sounds like there may be a sensor issue or the TPMS needs to be reset. Maybe the dealership service department can figure out what's wrong with it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Something might go wrong with the installation. You could even damage them, so it's better to bring the car back where you put your winters on.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Our TPMS only indicates after you start driving. Perhaps you are seeing "warm" tire pressure on it and "cold" tire pressure on the gauges.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ive never considered the point of the TPMS to be highly accurate. The manual says something about its point being to tell you if a tire is way under inflated, and not to use it in lieu of normally measuring your tires.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Our TPMS only indicates after you start driving. Perhaps you are seeing "warm" tire pressure on it and "cold" tire pressure on the gauges.
Actually never thought about this and you do make a good point on temperature. Had to do a bit of research and they said a good general estimate is for every 10 degrees F, tire pressure will adjust by 1 psi. So if it gets colder by 10 degrees then pressure may drop 1 psi.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts