Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

New 2017 Niro owner from British Columbia, Canada!

Currently have a set of 16" Winters on steel rims that I plan to swap in when it's time and this set does not have TPMS.

What kind of issues will I have when I mount them?
Will I need to take it back to a dealer to re-program when I put the stock wheels back on during Spring?

All help is appreciated!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also have a set of winter rims and tires for mine. The only issue you will have is that a warning message will come up on the drivers center display every time you start your car. You just then cycle the menu to get to where you want it to be. It is a little bit of a nuisance, but not that bad for 3 months or so. I had no issues when I reinstalled my factory rims and tires back on.
You will notice your MPG will drop quite a bit from the tires and the cold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also have a set of winter rims and tires for mine. The only issue you will have is that a warning message will come up on the drivers center display every time you start your car. You just then cycle the menu to get to where you want it to be. It is a little bit of a nuisance, but not that bad for 3 months or so. I had no issues when I reinstalled my factory rims and tires back on.
You will notice your MPG will drop quite a bit from the tires and the cold.
Awesome! Thanks!

I don't mind the light for 3 months.

Have read adding TPMS would be $60/wheel. Not looking to spend $ at the moment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello!

New 2017 Niro owner from British Columbia, Canada!

Currently have a set of 16" Winters on steel rims that I plan to swap in when it's time and this set does not have TPMS.

What kind of issues will I have when I mount them?
Will I need to take it back to a dealer to re-program when I put the stock wheels back on during Spring?

All help is appreciated!
'17 EX Prem in Toronto and have similar winter/steel set-up. While the TPMS can be found cheaper for our American friends... there is nowhere I found that were considerably cheaper for Canadians. Best I found was $10-$15 less per sensor. Save the money... accuracy of the sensors are hit and miss any way.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I find them surprisingly accurate and far more consistent than the difference between regular gauges. They are a convenience, and theoretically aides safety. But I agree that you can do just fine without them, especially if you are good with regular pressure checks.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I find them surprisingly accurate and far more consistent than the difference between regular gauges. They are a convenience, and theoretically aides safety. But I agree that you can do just fine without them, especially if you are good with regular pressure checks.
I really like being able to check my tires while driving. Piece of mind

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some cars will disable the stability control if TPMS sensors aren't found. From the posts I've read, it sounds like the Niro won't do that - but I'd like to confirm. I'm interested in getting a dedicated set of winter tires/wheels and TireRack doesn't have compatible sensors.

·
Registered
36 Posts
They're guesstimate readings. You still really need to manually check/visually view your tires on some sort of regular basis.
Agreed. I don't like the fact that the car needs to be driven some before it'll give a reading. I know this is typical of most TPMS and maybe I'm old school, but I've always been told its best to take readings on a cold tire.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The car only needs about a 1/4 mile, if that, to get a reading. The tires do not heat up in this short distance. I believe this is done because the sensors do not start transmitting until a certain number of rotations to make the batteries last longer. Basically they go into sleep mode and then wake up when the car is driven.

·
Registered
144 Posts
$60 was about what I was quoted. Just got my Niro two weeks ago and already went looking for a second set of rims and snow tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts