Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
not sure where to begin on this post.
we purchased our NIRO 12-31-18, loved the car, great gas mileage, plenty of bells and whistles for the price..
within two weeks started hearing a noise, sort of a grinding noise (sounded like we had a tree limb hung up under the car) that would come and go, ignored for a couple of days hoped it was an anomaly. Took car to dealer they said it was buildup on rotors “hit the brakes hard and it will clean it off”, ok, tried that no change, took car back said that it was part of the “regen” system normal sound. Ok, noise started being steady and very annoying. Finally after two more complaints they said leave the car and we will drive it and see what’s going on. One of the techs drove the car and said he had no idea what the problem was and that they were going to call in a KIA engineer to diagnose the problem, this was after the car had been at dealer for two weeks, he finally shows up and said replace the transmission, this is a new car with less than 20K miles. It was the end of October when we took the car to dealer they called December 17 and said car was ready. (BTW, we did have a loaner car all this time) long story short the car is now a mess, you can be driving at speed and the car will start slowing down and it finally stops. we are in contact with a lawyer. Terribly disappointed
TSB: TRA093 DE (P/HEV
Ours started with the same problem with under 2000 miles on it. I searched and inquired and searched more. On the Kia forum I found the answer, then had to convince our dealership to do it. They finally agreed to and since the work was done a month ago, the car is no longer having the problem, not even one single time... There is a Technical Service Bulletin: TRA093 DE (P/HEV). I printed it and took it to the dealer and insisted they do this. The reason I say this as the issue was quirky enough that they could not replicate it. Upon picking my car up one day after they had it trying to replicate it, I recorded it on my phone and sent it to my favorite service advisor.
The transmission oil should be replaced, along with the drain plug washer and the fill plug washer.
Good luck!

· Registered
15 Posts
Jerking noise from full stop. Dealer also said it might from the rush disc. But noise in first year😂
Ours started with the same problem with under 2000 miles on it. I searched and inquired and searched more. On the Kia forum I found the answer, then had to convince our dealership to do it. They finally agreed to and since the work was done a month ago, the car is no longer having the problem, not even one single time... There is a Technical Service Bulletin: TRA093 DE (P/HEV). I printed it and took it to the dealer and insisted they do this. The reason I say this as the issue was quirky enough that they could not replicate it. Upon picking my car up one day after they had it trying to replicate it, I recorded it on my phone and sent it to my favorite service advisor.
The transmission oil should be replaced, along with the drain plug washer and the fill plug washer.
Good luck!
Well, I'm not sure whether to say I'm glad someone else had the same issue!! It took the dealership a YEAR to finally diagnose the issue. They couldn't duplicate the grinding noise. I would drive around with the recorder on my phone to try to get it to play for them. It finally got so bad that the last time I took it in, they finally heard it and within 6 hours figured out what was causing it. They replaced the transmission in the vehicle at 25 k miles. The problem started at less than 10k, They had already replaced the rotors and front brakes etc. Kia is going to buy the vehicle back and I will get a new car. Not sure what I will get. I do love Kia and hope that I only got a lemon.

Any advice or comments appreciated.
Please keep us posted on the outcome. This sounds more like a dealer problem than a car problem. Unbolt and remove bad part; insert and bolt-in new part; shouldn't take weeks or months.
we purchased our NIRO 12-31-18, loved the car, great gas mileage, plenty of bells and whistles for the price..
within two weeks started hearing a noise, sort of a grinding noise (sounded like we had a tree limb hung up under the car) that would come and go, ignored for a couple of days hoped it was an anomaly. Took car to dealer they said it was buildup on rotors “hit the brakes hard and it will clean it off”, ok, tried that no change, took car back said that it was part of the “regen” system normal sound. Ok, noise started being steady and very annoying. Finally after two more complaints they said leave the car and we will drive it and see what’s going on. One of the techs drove the car and said he had no idea what the problem was and that they were going to call in a KIA engineer to diagnose the problem, this was after the car had been at dealer for two weeks, he finally shows up and said replace the transmission, this is a new car with less than 20K miles. It was the end of October when we took the car to dealer they called December 17 and said car was ready. (BTW, we did have a loaner car all this time) long story short the car is now a mess, you can be driving at speed and the car will start slowing down and it finally stops. we are in contact with a lawyer. Terribly disappointed
Please keep us posted on the outcome. This sounds more like a dealer problem than a car problem. Unbolt and remove bad part; insert and bolt-in new part; shouldn't take weeks or months.
Jerking noise from full stop. Dealer also said it might from the rush disc. But noise in first year😂
Well, I'm not sure whether to say I'm glad someone else had the same issue!! It took the dealership a YEAR to finally diagnose the issue. They couldn't duplicate the grinding noise. I would drive around with the recorder on my phone to try to get it to play for them. It finally got so bad that the last time I took it in, they finally heard it and within 6 hours figured out what was causing it. They replaced the transmission in the vehicle at 25 k miles. The problem started at less than 10k, They had already replaced the rotors and front brakes etc. Kia is going to buy the vehicle back and I will get a new car. Not sure what I will get. I do love Kia and hope that I only got a lemon.

Any advice or comments appreciated.

· Registered
15 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Our 2019 Niro has been exhibiting a grinding noise while decelerating for about three weeks. The KIA service advisor and I both thought it might be some small stones in the brake pads, and when they checked it there actually was a couple small stones scoring the brake caliper. However, the noise continued after leaving the dealership. I scoured the Internet looking for an answer and found KIA Technical Service Bulletin TRA 092: 6-Speed Dual Clutch or DCT Replacement. It outlined the exact issue which was a 'grr' or grinding noise when downshifting from 4th to 3rd gear. Took it back and the hybrid technician was able to replicate the problem and confirm it was the issue in the TSB. Next step is to get it back in to have the DCT removed and find out if the clutch or the whole transmission needs replacement. Waiting for the dealership to have the special tool(s) available to remove the DCT as they are tied up with another vehicle in for service.

Attachments

· Registered
15 Posts
FYI, A little less than 2 months ago, I had the TRA 092 process done on my 2019 Niro at 24,000 miles. I took print outs of the TRA 092 bulletin and drove with the Kia service advisor and he heard the scraping noise during stopping and downshifting from 4th to 3rd gear. The dealer got approval from Kia and they had the car for almost 2 weeks and gave us a loaner once Kia approved the repair. They replaced the Dual Clutch Transmission and the Actuator assembly. According to the service advisor this was the first repair of the TRA 092 that this dealer had completed. So far so good and the Niro seems to be running, shifting and stopping without any issues. Thanks to this forum for the information about this issue.

· Registered
5 Posts
FYI, A little less than 2 months ago, I had the TRA 092 process done on my 2019 Niro at 24,000 miles. I took print outs of the TRA 092 bulletin and drove with the Kia service advisor and he heard the scraping noise during stopping and downshifting from 4th to 3rd gear. The dealer got approval from Kia and they had the car for almost 2 weeks and gave us a loaner once Kia approved the repair. They replaced the Dual Clutch Transmission and the Actuator assembly. According to the service advisor this was the first repair of the TRA 092 that this dealer had completed. So far so good and the Niro seems to be running, shifting and stopping without any issues. Thanks to this forum for the information about this issue.
Our 2019 Niro has been exhibiting a grinding noise while decelerating for about three weeks. The KIA service advisor and I both thought it might be some small stones in the brake pads, and when they checked it there actually was a couple small stones scoring the brake caliper. However, the noise continued after leaving the dealership. I scoured the Internet looking for an answer and found KIA Technical Service Bulletin TRA 092: 6-Speed Dual Clutch or DCT Replacement. It outlined the exact issue which was a 'grr' or grinding noise when downshifting from 4th to 3rd gear. Took it back and the hybrid technician was able to replicate the problem and confirm it was the issue in the TSB. Next step is to get it back in to have the DCT removed and find out if the clutch or the whole transmission needs replacement. Waiting for the dealership to have the special tool(s) available to remove the DCT as they are tied up with another vehicle in for service.
Update on my Niro... dealership was able to do 'teardown' and discovered the issue was the clutch pack. Entire replacement took 10 days to complete and (knock on wood) all appears fine now. Disappointing part was were not given a service loaner or rental vehicle even though it was a warranty situation. I wrote KIA a letter about this and have asked for them to reimburse us for the rental vehicle cost. Also to note, initially the teardown was delayed as the dealership only had one tool available to remove or open the clutch/transmission and it was in use on another vehicle, then once the clutch pack was replaced, once again another special tool was required to align the clutch/transmission and apparently KIA only loans or rents the tool to dealerships, so we had to wait a few more days.

· Registered
5 Posts
Transmission clutch, not the engine clutch? There are two dry clutches for the transmission, are they both in one pack? Or was just one side replaced?
According to the service report it was the transmission dual clutch pack, so I assume both clutches are in one pack based on that wording? I had to wait longer because the dealership then needed a special tool to adjust the clutch rod actuator.

Wait though, it gets better... my Niro had been driving great since the repair, until this past Sunday when the Check Hybrid System Turn Engine Off light came on, and within a few minutes the battery discharged and my car stopped working on a busy road. I had to get the vehicle towed to the dealership, and they discovered the clutch actuator failed. Related to the previous issue? Would seem to be? The part is 'in stock', 1000km from me and it has to be shipped via ground due to weight, so on day five now. No service loaner or rental car provided by the dealer or the KIA Canada, because it isn't covered under the terms of the warranty. This will be my first and last KIA.

· Registered
2 Posts
i Have a 2019 bought at the end of 2020 new. I have had that same noise when I break. It happens at The same place when speed is slowing down between 30 and 20 on the speedometer. Took it to the dealership after a week, they told me it was normal for that transmission. The noise is on the drivers side. I think I will have to be firmer with them.

· Registered
1,209 Posts
i Have a 2019 bought at the end of 2020 new. I have had that same noise when I break. It happens at The same place when speed is slowing down between 30 and 20 on the speedometer. Took it to the dealership after a week, they told me it was normal for that transmission. The noise is on the drivers side. I think I will have to be firmer with them.
You should drive a new car with the service manager to see if the new one makes the same noise. If it's normal the new should too.

· Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 Niro has slowed down unexpectedly while accelerating uphill. Because it's only happened twice, I haven't told the dealership due to the potential complications you describe. However, I wonder if it was the result of back pressure...too much back pressure in the exhaust system preventing the engine from running at high rpms. I experienced the same while driving my school bus once...

· Registered
1,209 Posts
My 2019 Niro has slowed down unexpectedly while accelerating uphill. Because it's only happened twice, I haven't told the dealership due to the potential complications you describe. However, I wonder if it was the result of back pressure...too much back pressure in the exhaust system preventing the engine from running at high rpms. I experienced the same while driving my school bus once...
OMG a fellow school bus driver! What kind of School bus did you have trouble with, gas, diesel and now propane? Anyway there is a lot more reasons why a Niro would slow down going uphill. People have described a long uphill run depleting the HV battery enough to slow the car down since the gas engine has to basically work alone to get the car uphill plus recharge the battery. The Niro usually is pretty new to have things like the catalytic converter or the muffler fall apart. But a school bus it's very easy to understand a muffler falling apart. The school district I worked for had a bus that something in the rear end broke and the axles came off and the bus dropped down on the rear bumper going down a hill. The girl driving it saw the whole thing happen in the side mirrors thankfully she got it stopped ok.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts