Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been very impressed with the reports of mpg for the Niro.

I currently own a Hyundai Tucson that has a L/100km calculation on the dash. I have found it to be a little inaccurate .... ie: it's a little generous in it's estimation .... but it's a good general indicator. I keep track of my fuel usage and mpg using a phone app so I can get a very accurate report of true mpg.

Does the Niro trip computer line up with actual, calculated mpg? Has anyone done the double check?

Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wayne Gerdes of CleanMPG.com, who did the Guiness Book of World Records run in the Niro, took very careful and accurate measurements and found that aFCD x 1.003 = actual USmpg. So yeah, the aFCD results are extremely close to actual.

2017 Kia Niro CUV Sets GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS Title for Lowest Fuel Consumption for a Hybrid Vehicle | Page 2 | CleanMPG

The whole thread is worth a read if you want to learn how a hypermiling pro gets the best mpg.

2017 Kia Niro CUV Sets GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS Title for Lowest Fuel Consumption for a Hybrid Vehicle | CleanMPG

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here are my numbers for a Kia Niro Touring: All fills are with the racks on, most with the paddle board on too except for the last one which was all Highway 72mph well.....lots of traffic so plenty of speed up slow down situations.
Computer Hand Calc
43.6 42.77
45.0 42.51
44.4 42.34
43.6 41.73
38.7 37.28

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both.
I took the time to read through the World Record thread....very interesting

And thanks Irpavlo ... that's the type of data I was looking for!

My dealer will be receiving a Niro in about 4 weeks .... I'm like a kid waiting for christmas!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I also think Computed by car MPG is a MPG (maybe 2 MPG) Greater than that computed by Miles divided by Gas bought.
The last fuel up (#8 for me) was 520 miles with 10.16 gallon and I computed 51.1 MPG. Car Computer showed 53.4 MPG as average.

This was first time I made a note of it, but my memory thinks that is typical error (2 MPG +/-).

I might add --- Miles Left was like 37 Miles. I would suspect I had more left as only took 10.16 gallon and I think the tank is 11.5 gallon (one poster here said 11.9 gallon). Not sure what the book says.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The last fuel up (#8 for me) was 520 miles with 10.16 gallon and I computed 51.1 MPG. Car Computer showed 53.4 MPG as average.

This was first time I made a note of it, but my memory thinks that is typical error (2 MPG +/-).

I might add --- Miles Left was like 37 Miles. I would suspect I had more left as only took 10.16 gallon and I think the tank is 11.5 gallon (one poster here said 11.9 gallon). Not sure what the book says.
The Kia US website states the tank capacity is 11.9 gallons.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Looks like car computed MPG is higher than actual Miles divided by Gallon by say around 2 MPG.

Also, seems miles remaining are a low estimate - Who cares?, I am not forcing the issue and run out of gas. Fill it up when 90 is left or close to that -- be safe.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Paul- I don't mean to get into your "bidness", but in the interest of troublefree driving, I'd like to suggest you don't let the fuel get that low before filling up. The reason- with only 37 mile range showing, you are filling up with only 1-1.5 gal left, even taking account of the reserve. In a 12 (11.9) gal tank, that's down pretty low. The pump has to work harder, is not surrounded by the volume/weight of fuel optimum for it- and as you refill many tanks, any particles or dirt falls to tank bottom, closer to where youre sucking the fuel from.
I know there may be a tendency to let it run low to see that phenomenal mileage rack up, but the MPG will be no better(save for the tiny reduction in fuel weight).
I always fill mine up at 1/4 or more, no less than 3 bars showing. It is much better on any pump long term, and keeping out potential filter clogging garbage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am at 2000 miles on my EX.....
I think mpg is dependant on driving style.....I coast alot and use the cruise contol
I have found that the calculated mpg is very close to what the computer shows....within .1 - .2
I have varied driving, mostly local, but each tank of gas has at least one long highway trip, along with a number of shorter ones.
As I pulled in the garage today, the computer was showing 61.3 mpg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My first tank was about 2mpg lower than the computed mpg. My last tank was much closer at a little over 1mpg lower. I believe the range is underestimated as well. My last fill up had a range of a little over 30miles left and I had a little less than 2 gallons left in the car. The car took 10 gallons when I filled up.

I'm working on squeezing out better mpg. I understanding the touring cars won’t get the mpg of the other trims but I'm sure I'll get to my goal of 50mpg on a tank soon enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Average MPG for 7 fillups: 45.46 Indicated, 45.31 Actual

·
Registered
26 Posts
My first fill up the compter said 54.1 mpg the math came out to 52 mpg. Either way im pretty happy with the results. I reset the trip A to track the miles, is there another way to track the miles per fill up?

·
Registered
219 Posts
The only other way is to record the odometer at each fill up and subtract. But if you can remember to reset it, trio computer is slightly better.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just had my second fill up, which is the first one from which I have a trip meter. The computer estimated 52.0 mpg but the tank math said 49.9 (soooo close to 50, heh). Not bad for accuracy but a bit worse than some of you have reported.

One caveat, I also had them fill up a gas can first (NJ here = full service), but I carefully noted how many gallons went into the can and subtracted that out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For the PHEV, I've noticed that the onboard MPG estimate is way lower than actual from calculating from fillups. In about 1300 miles driven, the computer is telling me 45 mpg, but based on gas I've used I'm getting 51.5. I'm wondering if the plug-in versions have worse estimates based on charging habits?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I've had my HEV calculated 6 mpg below displayed estimate. But for an accurate calculated versus displayed, one would have to top off, ideally with car at same attitude sloping away and down from pump. That is what I do, and most tanks are about 3 mpg lower than the estimate. Even with my technique, there are enough variables that estimated has been off half an mpg to 6. I cannot think of a reason why the PHEV estimates would be any different than the HEV estimates. Clearly it is not considering EV charged use directly, but it is certainly possible that temperature may result in a different distance that EV range is exhausted (or detected to be exhausted) and that could have an impact.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been very impressed with the reports of mpg for the Niro.

I currently own a Hyundai Tucson that has a L/100km calculation on the dash. I have found it to be a little inaccurate .... ie: it's a little generous in it's estimation .... but it's a good general indicator. I keep track of my fuel usage and mpg using a phone app so I can get a very accurate report of true mpg.

Does the Niro trip computer line up with actual, calculated mpg? Has anyone done the double check?

Thanks.
Hi Have had my new 2018 Kia Niro FE for three weeks and LOVE it...have put on a 1000 miles. the last tank I averaged 50.3 by my calculations and the car showed 53.2... My mileage is about 70% running around town (Naples, Fl.) and 30% interstate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts