Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm comparing the Niro to other good gas mileage cars. Since I have a kid space is important for carrying gear. Could someone with a Niro take a few minutes to give me some basic trunk dimensions?

I know there are nooks any crannies but I'm just trying to get an approximate volume.

The basics like depth to seat back, width between wheel wells, height to top of seat back, and height to roof. Bonus for wheel well measurements (h,w,d) would be lovely but totally optional.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I haven't measured the actual dimensions but I have room to put 3 foldable chairs, a small cooler, a folding cart and my son's soccer backpack with some height to spare for a soccer tournament. It will fit a full size stroller or a set of golf clubs. But it is nothing like the storage space you get in a Honda CRV or RAV4. If you have multiple small kids and want a hybrid, the RAV4 is probably the one to look at. But I can get my 2 kids around to where they need to go with no issues.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had a large tool bag, a folding chair, a shovel, a mattox, my range bag, 4 2x2x48" and 2 2x12x96" boards in the back. Also in there was my normal box with towels and seat covers and bungee cords. Had to tie the hatch down because 96" lumber does not fit...In the passenger seat was a cooler and a Hardees meal.

Oh, and I drove it a mile off road to get to my property to do some maintenance.

All while exceeding 40 MPG.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the description by luggage items, but I'm really looking for someone could pull out a tape measure and get some numbers. I'd be very grateful. At your convenience of course.

My wife has a larger SUV, so I don't think my car needs to be quite as big. We can use hers if we need a lot of storage, are going on a long trip, etc. I'd rather get the extra mileage because 97% of the time my car is used for my commute with me alone. But I would like to be able to use it for shorter trips (long weekend at the in-laws, going to Costco, hauling supplies for some club when my kid is older).

So I guess I'm looking to get the best storage space I can while still meeting or exceeding 40-45 mpg. The RAV4 hybrid is closer to 30.

I think right now I'm mostly between the Niro and the Prius v. As one factor, I'd like to have a good sense of the actual storage space of each.

P.S. < rant > There are a lot of nice crossovers that get ~30 mpg on a gas engine. Why do so few of them have a hybrid version?? < end rant>

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much! If you could possibly give me the spec with the back seats up (from the gate go back of 2nd row seats) I'd be golden! I have a kid so almost always is be traveling with her in the back and the rear seats up!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, you meant it quite literally. I didn't know if it was just an 'eyeball' "about half" which would really be anywhere from 28 to 38 (which makes a big difference :) ).

·
Registered
476 Posts
All of my dimensions are just eyeball numbers because the shape of the opening makes it awful hard to get the tape measure on something fixed. If you were loading a big bag of water, you could get way more of that than a cardboard box because of the shapes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You either had some sort of measure or a very good eyeball ;-)...

I went back to the dealership today to show my wife the car and here's what I got with a tape measure...
- 30" deep from gate to seat base
- 41" wide at seat back
- 55" wide right by the gate (behind the wheel wells) (wheel wells are about 21-22" deep, so only 8-9" of depth for this width)
- 28" high avg-ish (a little lower at the hatch, a little higher further in)

·
Registered
6 Posts
You either had some sort of measure or a very good eyeball ;-)...

I went back to the dealership today to show my wife the car and here's what I got with a tape measure...
- 30" deep from gate to seat base
- 41" wide at seat back
- 55" wide right by the gate (behind the wheel wells) (wheel wells are about 21-22" deep, so only 8-9" of depth for this width)
- 28" high avg-ish (a little lower at the hatch, a little higher further in)
So then, what are the actual dimensions of the flat part of the cargo area with the seat down? In other words, from the gate to the drop-off and wall to wall. I need to size a cover for that area. I want it to be secure, so I'll put elastic in it, like a fitted sheet, so I'll need to know the depth of the back of the seat, too, when it's lying flat.

and ... did your wife love it? Did you buy it? Is it working for you?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can’t measure with the seats down bc it have child seats installed.

Yes, bought it, quite happy with it. Able to fit even our bigger Costco trips, although when we take family vacations we’ll probably take my wife’s mid size SUV... we’re not light packers ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can’t measure with the seats down bc it have child seats installed.

Yes, bought it, quite happy with it. Able to fit even our bigger Costco trips, although when we take family vacations we’ll probably take my wife’s mid size SUV... we’re not light packers ?
The trunk is much bigger than it looks. I can fit this wagon (without the canopy) in the trunk with the seats up (I too have child seats installed). The wagon measures 41" * 25" * 20".

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts