Kia Niro Forum banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I just downloaded the files....
The .ver file has this in the beginning:
+|20Q2|DEPHEV.USA.SOP.V115.200331.STD_H|KM|2018_20_Niro_Plug_in_Hybrid_USA|659|1

Perhaps you did not format your SD card correctly, get a 64 or LESS gig card, format with fat32 or ex-fat

do not do the "quick format" either

Greg

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,386 Posts
I just downloaded the files....
The .ver file has this in the beginning:
+|20Q2|DEPHEV.USA.SOP.V115.200331.STD_H|KM|2018_20_Niro_Plug_in_Hybrid_USA|659|1

Perhaps you did not format your SD card correctly, get a 64 or LESS gig card, format with fat32 or ex-fat

do not do the "quick format" either

Greg
Yep, that's exactly what mine says as well. But you don't need a 64 GB SD card. 32 GB is sufficient, and that 's what size the factory card is. I just checked the entire folder size, and it's 22.4 GB.

But you make a good point about it needing to be FAT32. By default Windows will usually use NTFS, which the car can't read.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I have also found issues with ex-fat too...

The default is not a blanket ntfs, it depends on the size of the SD card and even the version of windows... that is why you have to force it to your bidding ha ha.

Greg

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks. I checked and my computer default for formatting is Fat32, but quick format. I'm redoing it now and hopefully it will work this time.

·
Super Moderator
1,386 Posts
If I recall my SD card was formatted as FAT32 when I bought it, so I didn't need to do a format. Hopefully it works this time. :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
So this is a weird thing I found, but I have found a few systems, that recognized the card by the format date or some other unique combination, and this device would not recognize the "card" having new software until I did a full format. Don't know if it was a hidden file or whatever, but I learned my lesson on quick formats in this case.

With such a small card, it's only a short time.

Greg

·
Registered
239 Posts
Found that I need a 10 speed SD card. I have a micro SD with adaptor on hand. Would that work? Or should I buy a regular SD card?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
either is fine... the system cannot tell between a micro in an adapter or a full size sd..... so your old card was so old and slow it did not work?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I was hoping it was just too slow, but my micro SD with adaptor is a level 10 and still "failed to authenticate". I did the slow FAT10 format, and all the files showed up on it correctly using the navigation updater. No idea what the issue is.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
very strange, since others have successfully done the update with the same files. I was surprised to hear the comment on speed, since these things are slow, and it's reading the card, not writing. At least it makes sense speed is not the issue.

Dumb question, could the write protect switch on the adapter get moved? Does not make sense, but worth asking.

what steps do you take for the update? car off, then insert, etc?

Greg

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for trying to troubleshoot this! Write protect switch is in the same position as the original one, toward the top.

Car is on. I've tried many ways...
let entertainment system get running, go to system screen page, click update, insert card when asked, click update.

let entertainment system get running, swap out card, it complains that the card can't be read, go to system screen page, click update,

interupt entertinment system by removing card, it complains that the card can't be read, go to system screen page, click update,

I haven't tried anything with power off since the kia navigator is clear that the car needs to be on.

·
Super Moderator
1,386 Posts
Found that I need a 10 speed SD card. I have a micro SD with adaptor on hand. Would that work? Or should I buy a regular SD card?
The downloader software recommended against using a micro card and adapter. My guess is they're concerned with it remaining within the adapter while the car is in motion.

·
Super Moderator
1,386 Posts
I"m not certain I can blame the firmware, but I no longer get text messages via the Niro UI. All settings are still correct on both the phone and the car, just no messages. It was either this firmware update or a recent iOS update. I can't say which, since I had both within a week or so if I remember correctly.

Is anyone still getting text messages via the Kia interface with this update, either iOS or Android?

·
Super Moderator
1,386 Posts
Sounds like it was this update that broke it then, or they didn't test it with the latest iOS updates.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
no, I have an android, no changes in os/app.... this is typical that part of their system breaks... Had Fiat EV's for 6 years, and sometimes the text broke, sometimes the email broke, sometimes the app could not connect.

Remember the app does NOT directly communicate with the car.

Greg

·
Super Moderator
1,386 Posts
There's no app required on the phone for text message notification to work. On the iPhone, there's a setting in the car's Bluetooth settings, and the car has a similar setting. Both are on for me. My wife noticed she's not getting the alerts any longer either with her older iPhone. And she doesn't have any Kia app on her phone.

Interesting they you've encountered the same thing with a completely different phone. That really does point to the Kia update as the problem.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts