Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -- just picked up my 2019 PHEV from Carvanna -- and the plug for the home charger that came with it is a 25 amp plug (one prong is sideways). Is this what I'm supposed to have? it's a lectron charger. The paper instructions show a regular 2 prong plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hi -- just picked up my 2019 PHEV from Carvanna -- and the plug for the home charger that came with it is a 25 amp plug (one prong is sideways). Is this what I'm supposed to have? it's a lectron charger. The paper instructions show a regular 2 prong plug.
First, welcome! I have an '18 PHEV and love it. It's been great for almost 60k miles so far.

To answer your question, the Lectron charger is almost certainly aftermarket as the OEM one is Kia branded. It looks like someone swapped the cord end for a 20A one, not sure why they would do that. Maybe they only had a 20A outlet in their garage?

At least according to their Amazon page the stock Lectron charger comes with a normal NEMA 5-15 plug that's molded into the cable. The one you have looks DIY.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!! I'm reaching out to Lectron too -- but do you think i could just use an adapter or should i order a new cable? I think the only 20/25 amp plug i have is in my kitchen! (and I'm about to go on a trip so would like to be able to plug it in overnight when possible.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thanks!! I'm reaching out to Lectron too -- but do you think i could just use an adapter or should i order a new cable? I think the only 20/25 amp plug i have is in my kitchen! (and I'm about to go on a trip so would like to be able to plug it in overnight when possible.
I don't see why an adapter wouldn't work. Either way it's 120V. If you feel comfortable doing your own DIY you could just replace the plug with a regular NEMA 5-15, undoing what the previous owner did.

Now, the warranty on the cable is of course void, so if that's an issue you may just get a new one. They seem to run ~$200 on Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,001 Posts
When I originally leased my PHEV, I bought a 240v EVSE from Amazon that had that same plug. Most likely it's wired for 240v. As the PHEV only supports 16 amps at 240v, that plug is more than sufficient. If you remove the plug and install a "normal" NEMA 5-15, and use it for 120v, it's likely that EVSE will only charge at 12 amps max, same as the factory EVSE. I can't see in that image if the plug is a replacement style, indicating someone may have replaced the original plug. If it's not molded onto the wire, then I would agree that someone might have changed it, and without knowing the specific model of EVSE there's no way of telling exactly what it's rated for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts