Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of plugging in the charger and then unplugging it from the wall socket when the charge is completed, I am thinking of using a power bar. The bar will of course be plugged into the wall socket and the charger into the power bar and I will use the on/off switch to turn of the charger.
I notice there are power bars with various capacities of joules, so I need to know what capacity I will need for a safe charge.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
If you're referring to the 120v EVEC that came with the car, it draws 12 amps maximum. I recommend any sort extension cord be rated at minimum of 15 amps, preferably 20.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Instead of plugging in the charger and then unplugging it from the wall socket when the charge is completed, I am thinking of using a power bar. The bar will of course be plugged into the wall socket and the charger into the power bar and I will use the on/off switch to turn of the charger.
I notice there are power bars with various capacities of joules, so I need to know what capacity I will need for a safe charge.
What's the reason for unplugging or turning off the charger? I guess if you need to put it away for safe keeping that would make sense, but otherwise there's really no need that I can think of. Mine has been plugged in since I bought the car in 2018, just plug in the car when I get home and unplug it when I leave. The EVSE control box makes sure that there is no voltage on the car connector end unless it is plugged into the vehicle so there's no risk to leaving it plugged in. I'm not sure how much power it draws when just sitting there but I imagine it can't be too much.

I bought one of these to put on the wall so I can just hang the charge core up out of the way. My wife was thrilled when I got it since it meant she didn't have to worry about dropping it or running it over.
Output device Product Camera accessory Automotive tire Cameras & optics

·
Registered
7 Posts
Probably won't work. EVSE doesn't like extension cords of any type.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
I used one with the factory EVSE for the first few weeks I had my Niro before I set up a 240v outlet.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Incorrect. I've used an extension cord several times with mine. If you use a properly sized one you'll have no problems. Having said that the EVSE is very finicky about the ground connection. If your extension cord is old and the connectors worn out then you could have problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do this, and I use a very basic bar with built in circuit breaker. It doesn't heat and it has never tripped!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I do this, and I use a very basic bar with built in circuit breaker. It doesn't heat and it has never tripped!
I'm curious, why do you turn the charger off? As I said above, mine's been plugged in basically since I brought the car home from the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
My EVSE is hard wired, so it's always on unless there's a power failure. There's no reason to power cycle an EVSE.

Reactions: 2019PHEVexp
1 - 11 of 11 Posts