Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone, who wants to keep the VESS noise and Backup beeps going has tried to replace the VESS speaker itself with a different speaker (smaller)?

I was a wondering if there would be a type of speaker that would not be as loud but that would still work with the amp module in the device.

Would something like this work and could that help reduce the noise of the backup (reverse) noise while still allowing it to stay on?

Kia Niro 2020 LXS

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,589 Posts
It isn't the physical size of the speaker that controls how loud the sound is. That's simply the volume level they have programmed into it. Using a smaller speaker would make little difference in loudness. It might work better to find some way to cocoon the speaker enclosure and try to muffle the sound. I've heard they greatly increased the audio level with the 2020+ models. My '19 is just a soft chime in reverse, and a low hum at low forward speeds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dan

And so I figured, but I was kind of hoping someone would have pity on me and post a hack to the mother board to make the amp output lower. Or something of that sort.

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
There was another discussion about this, but I don't think anyone ever came up with a hack or other method to change the coding. Some wanted to unplug it completely, others were talking about muting it as I mentioned before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just wondering if anyone, who wants to keep the VESS noise and Backup beeps going has tried to replace the VESS speaker itself with a different speaker (smaller)?

I was wondering if there would be a type of speaker that would not be as loud but that would still work with the amp module in the device.

Would something like this work and could that help reduce the noise of the backup (reverse) noise while still allowing it to stay on?
Hi there! I'm just amazed at your post. This is because in my Niro 2017 I tried to do the exact opposite - increase the volume😁. Why? Because when the car moves in first gear and back, it is almost completely silent. I saw in this a hidden danger of injuring someone, such as a phono zombie or a child. So I installed an extra! siren under the rear bumper. Now it sounds like a truck or a tractor pulling back.:cool: What's more, I also want to install an additional amplifier to the VESS speaker so that it can be heard when I start moving.

And I dream of having a sound like the electric Niro or Hyundai IONIQ electric like here
It's like space wars:cool:.

As for your question, I think the easiest way to reduce the volume could be to install a variable resistor in the section of wire that goes to the speaker. If I understood correctly in your car there is a button to turn off the VESS. That is, you can simply turn off this boring thing.
So, I wish you good luck! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
@Molinero, Kia drastically changed the audio sound in the US beginning with the 2020 model year. It's far, far louder than your 2017 and even my 2019. And unfortunately, in the US we do not have a button to disable VESS. It is mandated by law, and manufacturers cannot offer a way to turn it off. The speaker is enclosed within the VESS module, so there's no way to alter the output without disassembling the unit. And it's not easy to get to, so that isn't a practical method either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts