Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my last video I showed you how you could save money by replacing the rubber portion of the wiper blades on your EV (also applies to ICE vehicles). In this part 2 of 2 video I show you how you can breathe cleaner air in your car by replacing the cabin filter once per year, yourself, and save lots of money by buying a compatible filter. This video applies to the Kia Niro, Kia Soul, Hyundai Kona and Hyundai Ioniq, but generally speaking, it applies to any modern car, even gas-powered cars, since the procedure is very similar in most cars.
My wife finally makes her debut on my channel in this video :)
Let me know if you have any questions and don’t forget to click the Subscribe button and the notification bell to not miss any future videos. Thank you.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took me longer to empty all the crap out of my glove compartment than it did to change the filter!

It's literally a 3 minute job.
Yep, it is really easy. Thanks for watching!

·
Registered
2020 KIA Niro EX Premium "NON-PLUG-IN - Saved $10K and the extension cord for the Christmas lights."
27 Posts
Thank you EV-olution for all your videos.
Watched them for the past year to scope out the general nuances of the Niro before deciding to buy one.
Same with your accessory reviews.
The TuxMat floor mats you reviewed (seen on your current air filter video) are the best mats.

🙂👍

Reactions: EV-olution

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Watched them for the past year to scope out the general nuances of the Niro before deciding to buy one.
The TuxMat floor mats you reviewed (seen on your current air filter video) are the best mats.

🙂👍
Thank you very much! I appreciate your watching my videos and I am glad I could help :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
You mention in the video a HEPA filter for Soul. Are there HEPA filters for Niro as well? Anyone has a part number?

·
Registered
94 Posts

🙂👍
We installed the Tux Mats after watching these videos also. While winter hasn't arrived yet these are the best mats I've ever seen. On our last car my heel had dug a hole through the fabric factory mat. I don't expect that to happen with these mats.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
179 Posts
Changing the cabin and engine filters are one of the easiest maintenance to do. The most important part is buying the oem filters. It’s strange that most auto parts stores don’t have the filters for the Niro. Plus they are not that expensive.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,589 Posts
Changing the cabin and engine filters are one of the easiest maintenance to do. The most important part is buying the oem filters. It’s strange that most auto parts stores don’t have the filters for the Niro. Plus they are not that expensive.
O'Reilly has them. Wix model WP2064. In stock at the store a mile from my home. $12.99. They also list a K&N filter for $39.99, not in stock. No idea why someone would pay so much more for pretty much the same filter.

·
Registered
516 Posts
O'Reilly has them. Wix model WP2064. In stock at the store a mile from my home. $12.99. They also list a K&N filter for $39.99, not in stock. No idea why someone would pay so much more for pretty much the same filter.
Rock Auto has the Wix for $7.95
and a Hastings carbon infused one for $10.83.

I got the Wix.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rather oddly, I think, the owner's manual for the Niro indicates cabin air filter replacement every 7,500 miles. Given that it is easy to access, that isn't a bad idea. I do see that K&N has them - and simply cleaning a permanent filter regularly makes more sense than tossing the paper ones. I'm aware that the other air filter from K&N doesn't make good sense...

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
Rather oddly, I think, the owner's manual for the Niro indicates cabin air filter replacement every 7,500 miles. Given that it is easy to access, that isn't a bad idea. I do see that K&N has them - and simply cleaning a permanent filter regularly makes more sense than tossing the paper ones. I'm aware that the other air filter from K&N doesn't make good sense...
Air filters aren't always easy to clean properly. Superficial dust and stuff, yeah. But some of what gets captured by the filter really can't be cleaned out. I'd rather have a fresh clean disposable paper filter. It can be recycled as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Air filters aren't always easy to clean properly. Superficial dust and stuff, yeah. But some of what gets captured by the filter really can't be cleaned out. I'd rather have a fresh clean disposable paper filter. It can be recycled as well.
Probably a valid viewpoint - I haven't looked deeply into that question. On the other hand, Chrysler didn't bother to put the cabin air filter in many of the PTCruisers (I'm in the process of replacing that unit - and a bit research indicated surprised owners found out that it had never been installed). And, 25 years ago nearly none of the cars provided for cabin air filters (heater/AC systems would get fouled by small critters getting into the airflow system). My point being that a clean, precision engine air take filter is essential, the cabin air filter is not doing much more than allowing clean air to flow through while providing a barrier to larger objects. Eventually that reuseable unit might end noticeably restricted and require disposing, but that would be many years down the line.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
179 Posts
Rock Auto has the Wix for $7.95
and a Hastings carbon infused one for $10.83.

I got the Wix.
I don't like those cheap filters. They seem like they won't hold up. I see that most of them are made in China. I bought the filters from the dealership and they were some what expensive. The engine one was $25 and the cabin was $30. When I opened the box I noticed the two logos on the filter, KIA and Hyundai. I assume that these filters can also be used in Hyundai cars. I also noticed that these were made in South Korea. I would rather pay extra to get the original ones.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You mention in the video a HEPA filter for Soul. Are there HEPA filters for Niro as well? Anyone has a part number?
The Niro compatible filters listed in Canada are quite limited, but I did find a better one than I originally installed in the video. I am making the 5000 subscriber giveaway video, but it will include some updates on things from previous videos, including the new filter that I found. I linked the new filter it in the original video description.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice video, thank you.

For those looking for HEPA cabin air filters in the US. According to this LUFTT PDF https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/B1v0Yd7oHwS.pdf, the model number seems to be LH134 - for Hyundai/Kia Niro 2018 and up.

I'll be buying one to try as soon as these fires in the west coast stop burning 🤞🤞
Thank you very much and thanks for the information. Unfortunately there is only one listing on Amazon in Canada and they are asking a stupid price of 110$.
I actually made a followup video and have a better alternate than what I used for the Niro in the video above.
Here is the link:

Reactions: SpeedyW

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
I'm uncertain how effective a HEPA filter would be if the system wasn't designed for it. I would expect it to have tighter seals to really be effective. Not saying it wouldn't be an improvement over a standard paper filter, but many not be enough of a benefit to justify a significantly higher price.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm uncertain how effective a HEPA filter would be if the system wasn't designed for it. I would expect it to have tighter seals to really be effective. Not saying it wouldn't be an improvement over a standard paper filter, but many not be enough of a benefit to justify a significantly higher price.
The HEPA filter that I bought for my wife's Soul EV was a much tighter fit and I am sure it offers better filtering. It won't be HEPA compliant and that is not the requirement, but better than factory is what I wanted. The original one in the Niro EV is not great and fits loosely, so does the replacement one in this video, as well as the second one I bought in the update video. It would have been nice to get one that fits a bit more snugly.

Reactions: SpeedyW
1 - 19 of 19 Posts