Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have wondered what the differences are for the 2020 model year of the Kia Niro EV (e-Niro) versus the 2019 model, I made this comparison video that shows things in detail. If you have any questions, please let me know.
FYI: I forgot to include a picture I took of the motor model, this 2020 was delivered on May 18th 2020 and has the 710 motor.

Reactions: Sstr Maria

·
Super Moderator
874 Posts
Nice video. That new screen is really nice, since it allows viewing more info at the same time. I was really hoping Kia would add dual zone HVAC and a memory driver's seat for 2020. But since my lease isn't up until May '22, I have some time for them to do it. :D

I don't know if it would be applicable to the BEV model, but it's really annoying that in my PHEV I can't activate just the blower instead of the full HVAC. On a cool day I don't need the ICE for heat, but it's a game to set the temp so neither the AC nor heat are called for. Instead I simply turn the HVAC off. But if the humidity is too high, the windows fog up. Being able to just run the fan would stop that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice video. That new screen is really nice, since it allows viewing more info at the same time. I was really hoping Kia would add dual zone HVAC and a memory driver's seat for 2020. But since my lease isn't up until May '22, I have some time for them to do it. :D

I don't know if it would be applicable to the BEV model, but it's really annoying that in my PHEV I can't activate just the blower instead of the full HVAC. On a cool day I don't need the ICE for heat, but it's a game to set the temp so neither the AC nor heat are called for. Instead I simply turn the HVAC off. But if the humidity is too high, the windows fog up. Being able to just run the fan would stop that.
Thank you very much.
FYI, the driver seat has 2 memory settings in the 2019 and 2020 top trim versions. I have read that the option is not available in all markets though.
For the HVAC, in my EV, if the inside temp is the same as the temp set in the climate control only the fan blows. Let me know if you can do the same in your PHEV.

·
Super Moderator
874 Posts
Thank you very much.
FYI, the driver seat has 2 memory settings in the 2019 and 2020 top trim versions. I have read that the option is not available in all markets though.
For the HVAC, in my EV, if the inside temp is the same as the temp set in the climate control only the fan blows. Let me know if you can do the same in your PHEV.
In the US the BEV doesn't have memory seats. Yes, if you set the temp control just right neither the heat nor AC will come on. But that can change based on if the sun is shining or goes behind a cloud. So it might require tweaking it. If it calls for heat, you can't stop the ICE from firing, and once started it will run for close to a minute to ensure fluids have been well circulated. I'd rather just be able to ensure nothing runs except the fan.

Even though I don't have the BEV version (yet!), I did subscribe to your channel. I want to keep abreast of what's coming down the road so I can plan for my car's replacement when the lease is up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the US the BEV doesn't have memory seats. Yes, if you set the temp control just right neither the heat nor AC will come on. But that can change based on if the sun is shining or goes behind a cloud. So it might require tweaking it. If it calls for heat, you can't stop the ICE from firing, and once started it will run for close to a minute to ensure fluids have been well circulated. I'd rather just be able to ensure nothing runs except the fan.

Even though I don't have the BEV version (yet!), I did subscribe to your channel. I want to keep abreast of what's coming down the road so I can plan for my car's replacement when the lease is up.
Thank you for the information and thanks for subscribing! I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I thought the US Niro EV Premium with added options pack had the memory seats!?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Thanks for the video. While you didn't show all the climate options, the one you did show is actually available to you on the 2019. You can toggle ADS on/off by pushing and holding the front defrost button. One might argue that this is easier than scrolling through menus, but of course you have to know where it is - which menu options do make clear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the video. While you didn't show all the climate options, the one you did show is actually available to you on the 2019. You can toggle ADS on/off by pushing and holding the front defrost button. One might argue that this is easier than scrolling through menus, but of course you have to know where it is - which menu options do make clear.
Thank you very much! I was going to look into the option based on a comment on YouTube, but you just answered the question. I didn't bother looking into all of the options for climate because they are pretty much the same and to be honest, I didn't think viewers would have been interested in climate control menus. I should have recorded video of it anyhow. Thanks again I appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
874 Posts
I thought the US Niro EV Premium with added options pack had the memory seats!?
In the US, there is no Options pack. There's a cold weather package that adds the heated wheel, battery heater and heat pump. Other than that, there's just a handful of accessories that can be added.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I didn't think viewers would have been interested in climate control menus.
As the HVAC controls are my number one complaint (with many others), I'd be interested to know if Hyundai/Kia improve them with options. I'd much rather use manual controls from 40 years ago - those work well and require zero manual reading to use.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nice video indeed!
+1 for the amber flasher/turn signal lights = increased visibility in heavy traffic. If I were King they would all be amber!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice video...
Thank you very much! I enjoyed making it, but it was a crunch to get it done in one weekend.

Nice video indeed!
+1 for the amber flasher/turn signal lights = increased visibility in heavy traffic. If I were King they would all be black!
Also thank you very much :)
I still can't figure out why they would go backwards with all red, other than cost savings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I watched your video a few weeks back and that led me to this forum. I saw one of your other videos too - the one showing that the rear view mirrors automatically adjust when using reverse gear. That was the first thing I tried on my Kian Niro hybrid in the UK. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be on the feature list (at least on the base model)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
No, dipping mirrors is an upper trim model only, at least in the US. I'm interested why Niro HEVs are experiencing an uptick in sales in the UK, judging by recent posts here. I had thought the mobility advantages (central London) and tax advantages of the Ioniq overwhelmingly favored its sales in the UK. Has anything changed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
No, dipping mirrors is an upper trim model only, at least in the US. I'm interested why Niro HEVs are experiencing an uptick in sales in the UK, judging by recent posts here. I had thought the mobility advantages (central London) and tax advantages of the Ioniq overwhelmingly favored its sales in the UK. Has anything changed?
I think PHEV's in the UK lost their grant status earlier this year but full EVs still qualify. Sales of both were well up earlier this year even though total new car sales were down. Two sales persons I spoke to told me that most people think all hybrid vehicles have to be charged by plugging-in and that puts them off.

I get my car on a special lease for disabled people and hybrid vehicles seem to be incredibly cheap which is why I got one. That lease scheme, run by Motability, is well regarded in the UK and they are the biggest fleet buyer in the UK, so maybe, just maybe, the car makers are using the scheme to promote hybrid vehicles. I find it interesting to note that many improvements in this year's Niro help disabled people like me, greatly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I watched your video a few weeks back and that led me to this forum. I saw one of your other videos too - the one showing that the rear view mirrors automatically adjust when using reverse gear. That was the first thing I tried on my Kian Niro hybrid in the UK. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be on the feature list (at least on the base model)
I found out from a viewer that the tipping mirrors option is supposedly connected to the memory seat option. If you don't have the memory buttons for the seat postion then the mirrors don't tip! Thanks for watching and you can always ask me questions directly in the video comment section, or on my EV-olution Facebook page.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts