Kia Niro Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
You can access the VESS control module in front passenger glove box area and access the connector that runs to the VESS Speaker.
Thanks for the great post! Is the control module in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
60 Posts
See posts #35 and #36.... further reinforced by only 2 wires going to the speaker behind the "grill" on my 2020 and earlier EV's

The manual is online..

Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks, yes I have the 2019 manual, which I figure is the same for my 2020, and on other forums have indicated I will probably put a SPDT center off switch in place with a resistor (to be determined) on one leg.

So, full volume, completely off and reduced volume is my goal.

Interestingly, the "running sound" seems to be from the same speaker...

Greg
Let me know how it goes and take some pictures of you can. Not sure I can handle this kind of work. What kind of repair shop should I look for?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I doubt any repair shop would knowingly disable a factory warning system. It's pretty simple wiring, do you have an engineer friend that can solder wires?

Greg

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro Phev SX Touring (EX Premium USA)
29 Posts
Thanks for the great post! Is the control module in the engine compartment?
No the control module is behind the front passenger glove box. You can open and remove the glove box usually by apply pressure on the sides of the glove box to get past the stopper/lip.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro Phev SX Touring (EX Premium USA)
29 Posts
Let me know how it goes and take some pictures of you can. Not sure I can handle this kind of work. What kind of repair shop should I look for?
Yeah i don't know if a repair shop will do this for you. It is fairly simple to do, just require someone with some knowledge with electronics and can join wires with soldering iron.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Yeah i don't know if a repair shop will do this for you.
Depends on laws in your country. Dealer for sure not. Optimally the smallest repair shop you can find. Perhaps an electronic repair person (maybe a car radio installer) and hand them the instructions.

Had a fault in passenger airbag on last car (cold solder joint I think) and had a Mexican repair shop (owned by an American!) throw a resister across it to stop the check engine light. Never have passengers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase AlgaeKiller! Did you purchase an HEV or a PHEV?

I suspect that it's more than a subjective thing. I live on a quiet street and I imagine that if I was backing out of my garage during other people's sleeping hours and my backup alert sound was significantly louder than it is in my 2018 PHEV, people might complain. On the other hand, if anyone ever complained about the sound from 2018 PHEV, I'd probably think they were an insomniac because my car is so quiet in that respect. But I suspect that the 2020 Niros might be a lot louder due to the recent change in regulations.

If your work colleagues make fun of your purchase decision, well: they might have a point depending on their/your perspective. The Niro doesn't rival a Tesla, or a 'vette, or an F250, or a 67 Chevy SS, or a 68 Mustang or a lot of other cars: it's not trying to be any of those things. But it is exceptional at what it is trying to be, which is a highly efficient car, with arguably more creature comfort and better driver visibility than the nearest competitor (Toyota Prius).

I take my PHEV out about three times a week. Sometimes I drive all day in it, but usually I'm just going for a few miles. I haven't put gas in it since last August (about 10 months ago). I don't have to pay extra for electricity because I purchased a house with solar panels that provide more than the house consumes. So for the most part, I've been driving on sunshine for the last 10 months. My current fuel consumption rating is over 170 MPG (it ignores the input from my solar panels, but since I can't control that cost, it's appropriate for me),

And then there's the pollution factor. I live in a part of the USA that has some of the worst air pollution. My Niro, driving on sunshine, almost never contributes to that problem.

If your work colleagues laugh at you, ask them how much they plan to spend on gas in the next 10 months. And then ask them how much crap will go into their lungs in the next 10 months because there are still a huge number of gas powered vehicles on the road. And then maybe point out to them that they could avoid both of their own contributions to those expenses (both financial and heath-wise).
I bought the hybrid version, my commute is at least 70 miles a day to and from work and that's not if I go anywhere else. I would love a total plug in version that could satisfy my daily needs and one day that will come. Personally, I don't love the back up chime but I'm okay with it because even modern day vehicles are very quiet, so a little chime that I'm backing up is fine with me, if someone looks at me weird.....don't care, the attention doesn't last long and I don't care what they thing about it. I think these things will become more common and I'm not against it seeing as I see a lot of people not recognizing people moving in a parking lots. My previous vehicle had a loud exhaust which notified others that I was moving but the back up sound of the Niro works better, IMO.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The 2020 Niro EV backup sound is way louder than the previous years, this is what the thread is centered on. See the initial posts in this thread.

I have a 2020, it is WAY too loud, it's as loud as a commercial truck.

Greg

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Commercial trucks are not usually as obnoxious as forklifts or construction equipment.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I can see that this may never end until I give a db reading, or someone buys a 2020.

In any case I have a wiring diagram that seems to be right for the newer unit, and am investigating if I can mute it from inside with the disable input wire.

If that works, I might even be able to add the factory button into the dash.

Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Still cheering you on Greg. I don't have an engineering friend who can do that resistor/switch for me, but I'm new to town...and with COVID won't be meeting too many folks. I like the idea someone mentioned of finding a small car stereo shop...if they still exist. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
So on another forum, someone did measure the 2020 at 85 dB... no mention of distance or which weighting scale.... I do have a dB meter.... I'll probably look up the new US standard just for reference....

·
Registered
693 Posts
So on another forum, someone did measure the 2020 at 85 dB... no mention of distance or which weighting scale.... I do have a dB meter.... I'll probably look up the new US standard just for reference....
FYI, commercial warning signals are in the 97-110 dB range. Link

I haven't measured the beep on my '18 PHEV but I suspect it's far lower. I mean, I can hear it from inside the house when my wife is backing out of the garage, but by comparison I can hear the FedEx guy way down at the end of my 100' driveway. Plus, my Niro's chime is more of a soft, pleasant "bong" than the shrill "BEEP" of a commercial vehicle. Of course, the 85dB you cited is 10 times lower than the commercial one so who knows.

If you want to measure the sound accurately, this paper describes the procedure. I for one would be interested in the results.

It's entirely possible that Kia turned the volume up to 11 for the '20 model year, likely for compliance reasons. My only concern with messing with it is God forbid you back into someone in a parking lot. If they say they couldn't hear you and it turns out you disabled the warning you're likely on the hook for liability and your insurance company may pretend not to know you. Likely? No. Potentially catastrophic? Yes. TANSTAAFL and YMMV.

Maybe just buy a commercial beeper (Amazon, natch) and hook it to your car for a week or two. Once you take it off your neighbors will probably never complain again. 😁

·
Registered
332 Posts
When purchasing my '19 PHEV, I also test drove a 19 BEV. The back up sound on BEV was louder than the PHEV & it also had a soft but audible (to my 70 yr old ears) "spaceship" sound going forward up to 10-15 mph. I didn't mind the BEV back up warning but found the forward sound annoying. I imagine one would get used to that after awhile & it would simply become white noise to the owner but still alert pedestrians.

·
Registered
693 Posts
When purchasing my '19 PHEV, I also test drove a 19 BEV. The back up sound on BEV was louder than the PHEV & it also had a soft but audible (to my 70 yr old ears) "spaceship" sound going forward up to 10-15 mph. I didn't mind the BEV back up warning but found the forward sound annoying. I imagine one would get used to that after awhile & it would simply become white noise to the owner but still alert pedestrians.
My '18 PHEV has the spaceship hum at low speeds. I think it sounds kinda cool.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
4 Posts
Yes, I have a 2020, the speaker behind the "grill" is making the BEEP BEEP sound, it's way too loud and from the wrong end of the car.

I'm taking measures.
Thanks for your post. Did you make the mod and if so, can you describe the results? If you used a resistor what was the value? Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Unfortunately, there seems to be 3 versions/implementations.

Early ones, 2017 for sure have the module that generates the sound above the glove box, and only 2 wires the speaker behind the grill.

Later ones, the module is gone, and the box behind the grill is now "smart" and is a CAN bus device, and certain cars have a defeat switch on the dash, on the outboard side (left in the USA), the group of 4 switches.

My car is the latest incarnation and has the further modification that not only is the switch missing, but the wiring harness does not have the wires back the speaker module.

So, my only hope will be to get the 2020 schematic and find the wire somewhere, then run it back to a switch maybe in the engine compartment, not ideal.

Not looking good for what I want, easy to disable and enable.

Greg

41 - 60 of 64 Posts