Kia Niro Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My '18 PHEV has the spaceship hum at low speeds. I think it sounds kinda cool.
Fully disagree. One of the major selling points of a Hybrid was the quiet ride. I loved that about my '17 Niro. Now with the '20 I'm actually pretty upset about the fake engine noise and insanely loud backup sounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As long as the VESS box is just a speaker that would probably work. Might need to fiddle with the resistor value to find the right one.

Still, seems silly to disable a pretty unobtrusive safety feature. How often are people backing up that it's such an annoyance?
People four houses down from me can easily hear our car in reverse when it's still in the garage. I'd say that's too loud. It's so annoyingly loud that I reverse as fast as possible just to shut the sound off, completely defeating the purpose of the feature. Imo it's just stupid loud.

·
Super Moderator
1,156 Posts
Fully disagree. One of the major selling points of a Hybrid was the quiet ride. I loved that about my '17 Niro. Now with the '20 I'm actually pretty upset about the fake engine noise and insanely loud backup sounds.
I can understand why they added the artificial sound, and on my '19 PHEV is a very low humming sound, same as jmurphEV said. It's a perfectly acceptable sound level. But it sounds like they cranked it to 11 for the 2020 model year, and from what everyone is saying it's far too loud.

·
Registered
756 Posts
That's the safety issue the VESS and similar are designed to address. Especially at parking lot speeds hybrids are basically silent. Adding the artificial sound allows people to hear vehicles they might not otherwise notice.

Now, if Kia pumped up the jams for 2020 that's a different story. Still, I assume if they did it was in response to new regulations, in which case, your complaint is with the FHA or NHTSA (offer valid in the US only).

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
81 Posts
I've had my 2020 Plug-in Niro for almost a week now. I've figure out how to back out of the garage without waking the neighbors, but it does take a bit of skill. After opening the garage door I put it into reverse. I then immediately put it into neutral. Fortunately my driveway slopes down towards the road so I have just enough momentum to reach the street and put it into drive. Of course I have to look behind me because the backup camera refuses to work in Neutral.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve leased a 2020 Kia EV Premium for a few months now, and I absolutely agree the backup beep sound increase from 2019 is ludicrous. I thought it was EV specific but I see now it’s an issue for hybrids as well, wow. The US market does not get a VSS off option button, a shame. If in the garage it is an piercing howl that echoes through the neighborhood. Plenty of startled stares in public places, sure it gets attention but not in a good way, it’s a nuisance.
I’ve also taken to coasting down my driveway in neutral as to not bother sleeping neighbors, though it sounds off one ear splitting beep before I can shift...ugh. I don’t disagree with the need for the sound, just at a more reasonable level, this absolutely needs some type of correction from KIA, I can’t believe it was ever signed off on. I probably would have passed on the car had discovered it in my test drive. I’ve written 2 complaints about it to Kia, I would recommend everyone with the issue to do so as well through their consumer complaint area, it won’t be addressed if our concerns stay in forums. Otherwise, this car is a dream, love it, but as is, will return at end of lease for a competitor EV model without a blearing backup beep.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium
7 Posts
I’ve written 2 complaints about it to Kia, I would recommend everyone with the issue to do so as well through their consumer complaint area, it won’t be addressed if our concerns stay in forums.
I never had to do something like this, but I'm willing to try it for this amazing car. How should I go about it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can access the VESS control module in front passenger glove box area and access the connector that runs to the VESS Speaker.
You can disconnect PIN #6 from the VESS Module to disable the speaker. This will save you the hassle of disassembling the front bumper to reach the VESS Speaker.
There is also option to put a resistor in line with PIN #6 to reduce the volume.

If you do disable it, just remember you may run into insurance issue if you do get into an accident with a pedestrian. It is required by law to have that VESS sound to warn pedestrians.

attached are images of the VESS location, PIN layout and speaker.
View attachment 6295 View attachment 6296 View attachment 6297
Wow, thank you, been looking for this all week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I never had to do something like this, but I'm willing to try it for this amazing car. How should I go about it?
You can access the VESS control module in front passenger glove box area and access the connector that runs to the VESS Speaker.
You can disconnect PIN #6 from the VESS Module to disable the speaker. This will save you the hassle of disassembling the front bumper to reach the VESS Speaker.
There is also option to put a resistor in line with PIN #6 to reduce the volume.

If you do disable it, just remember you may run into insurance issue if you do get into an accident with a pedestrian. It is required by law to have that VESS sound to warn pedestrians.

attached are images of the VESS location, PIN layout and speaker.
View attachment 6295 View attachment 6296 View attachment 6297
6 and 12? or just 6, they both say VESS

61 - 71 of 71 Posts