Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I have used my smart cruise control alot on the highway, and in most circumstances its worked fine. On one instance however, it did create a situation that could be considered dangerous, so I thought I would share so you can keep an eye out for it also.

On a recent road trip I came across 2 tractor trailers engaged in a slow pass. My cruise was set for about 75, and the trucks were travelling about 60 - 65 MPH. I pulled up behind the truck in the left hand lane and the Niro maintained the distance I set (the max). A driver behind me, obviously frustrated with the whole situation passed me on the inside, and swung into my lane ahead of me. Normally this is not a big deal. With the SCC however, it did create a situation I was not prepared for.

When the car pulled in my lane, it replaced the radar image of the truck as the "car in front". Since it was still going faster than me when it entered my lane the software detected it as "moving away" and immediately attempted to accelerate my car back up to the set speed. This basically scared the bejesus out of me for a second as I accelerated towards the car and truck, and then when that car slowed, immediately slowed.

I think the software should be upgraded for this condition so it only begins acceleration after a minimum distance has been achieved.

I am not sure how to share this with Kia, if anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good that you were aware of the scene around you and took control without incident.

Go the the KIA website and scroll to bottom of page for "contact kia". Send them off your post and call them a few days later to insure they are aware of this safety issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good that you were aware of the scene around you and took control without incident.

Go the the KIA website and scroll to bottom of page for "contact kia". Send them off your post and call them a few days later to insure they are aware of this safety issue.
Sent them a message describing the issue. We'll see where it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My issue with smart cruise

I had similar except my issue was when a truck was exiting the highway and I was in the inside lane behind it. It slow my car down to 30 mph even though the truck had move clearly out of the lane and onto the off ramp. Car behind me going the 75 mph speed limit almost rear ended me. I now just turn it off if some one is exiting in front of me then engage it once clear.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Just drove home in my new Niro. Smart cruise control worked beautifully. However, I knew I prior to purchase that I was going to hate it and I did. Just as I'm getting ready to switch lanes because of a slow car in my lane, the Niro slows down. I want regular cruise control but I did not find a setting. I know there is a setting on the Ioniq. Anyone know if regular cruise control is possible in a Niro equipped with smart cruise control?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Ah Google found it for me. It is a hidden selection. I'm happy again.

“Smart Cruise Control or Cruise Control”

The driver may choose to only use the cruise control mode (speed control function) by doing as follows:

1. Turn the smart cruise control system on (the cruise indicator light will be on but the system will not be activated).

2. Push the distance to distance switch for more than 2 seconds.

3. Choose between "smart cruise control (SCC) mode" and "Cruise control (CC) mode".

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've noticed this several times, but I didn't understand what was happening. Your explanation seems correct.

I noticed the problem when a car traveling faster than I was changed lanes from one side of me to the other, between me and the car in front on which my sensors were locked. I experienced the same unexpected acceleration you did, which was a problem, as none of the cars ahead was traveling as fast as the guy who cut across my lane.

Definitely not you and apparently a bug, not a feature

·
Registered
44 Posts
I disagree. It’s not perfect... maybe not even close but it certainly does not suck. It is an improvement over standard CC.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Smart cruise control sucks. Standard CC has none of those issues.
Standard cruise control sucks. Smart cruise control can slow down when the guy in front of you slows down. Even if he jams on the brakes. I won't even use CC in standard mode anymore, ever since I bought a Jeep last year with adaptive cruise, it's a make-or-brake (get it ha hah) feature on any car I buy going forward.

Generally that accelleration "issue" on ACC systems is rare, because you have to be on a 3+ lane highway, and be in the middle lane, for it to even happen. And the system will pick up that the car cutting through is gone within a couple of seconds and slow you back down to be in formation with the car that's in front of you again anyway. Assuming the car is going fast enough to cause that: if he's going your same speed or slower then it'll cause your car to slow down to open the same gap up again.

Remember, with regular CC you would either never be in that situation, because the cars in front of you are going too slowly anyway, or it wouldn't react to the car cutting in front of you at all, and you'd have to get your foot on the brake to avoid an accident.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree that smart cruise control doesn't suck, but that changing lanes in front of me bug seems like it would have an easy fix in software. You lurking, Kia?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Every single time I try ACC, I get unwanted braking. ACC is certainly useful in a major city setting like LA where you may prefer less attentiveness, but the features are a bug to me. Lots of people report lower mpg on ACC, not realizing that varying speeds of cars ahead of them is the direct cause.

I prefer to go around slowing traffic to maintain speed, but that often requires coming close to cars in front before pulling into the other lane. ACC brakes under those conditions exactly as you are pulling into the fast lane, potentially causing an accident merging too slowly into fast traffic. For situations where passing is not desired (two lane roads perhaps), I can look at traffic a mile ahead and make small adjustments to set speed so I'm not varying speed because of first car ahead. You can do that on ACC as well, but there is no benefit from ACC in that situation either.

On two lane roads, no issue right? Wrong! Turning cars that will be out of the road before I reach them also cause unneeded braking. Regen, but still.

Yup, I hate ACC. For cause. AEB is still fully functional should my attention waver.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hybrids work best in varied speed situations, not constant ones. You need opportunities to charge and discharge the battery to get max MPGs in a hybrid. You trying to maintain constant speed is probably hurting your MPGs. Most people in normal cars get lower MPGs when using cruise control systems, but hybrids are a different animal entirely.

If you're waiting to get that close to slowing traffic before moving over to pass I'm sorry, but you're the one driving dangerously, and it's your own fault that you're having problems. You're essentially weaving through traffic.

Sorry, but from what you're describing, every single time you use ACC you're comitting driver error.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I'm not getting that close to slowing traffic, that is the scenario where I will back off the set speed. I'm merging into an open space in the fast lane without causing them to slow (which hurts their mpg). Sometimes that is safest done within three car lengths to the steady speed car/truck in front of me. That is close enough to trigger the ACC braking just as I switch lanes. I would never do this if the car in front was tailgating and have been doing this (without CC) for some 45 years without the slightest hint of promoting an accident. But the ACC will promote an accident in this otherwise safe scenario, as well as several other scenarios described in this thread.

Besides the unintended braking issues, ACC will get lower mpg in traffic versus manual or standard CC closely and intelligently managed. Yes, slowing and speeding up is where hybrids do do better than non-hybrids, so yes, when ACC is in both types of cars, the hybrid does better. Yes, at steady state speeds, it is mostly about the efficiency of the ICE, and aerodynamics. But that is a lot of the driving that we do (or should be doing on the highway), and preserving momentum is key to best mileage.

So that is two straw arguments you have thrown in. One that I'm a bad driver, and the other is that I shouldn't be driving at a steady speed. One is just insulting, and the other one is contrary to physics.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you're not getting "that close" to slowing traffic, then you shouldn't be braking before you move over. Three car lengths isn't that far at all, haven't you heard of the two second rule?

Just because you find something insulting doesn't mean it isn't also correct. And apparently you need a physics refresher anyway (the classes have changed from 45 years ago you know). And no, preserving momentum is not the key to the best mileage on a hybrid. Quite the contrary, preserving momentum doesn't allow a hybrid to maximize the use of its energy recapture systems (that's why they get a lower MPG rating in the EPA's "highway" test.). The key is to make maximum use of motive forces, including grades and coasting opportunities that allow you to generate new energy to expend somewhere else. That's not the normal "set speed and go" highway driving. But you get better MPGs that way.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Sure, hypermiling on freeway traffic? That is reckless driving. It certainly is unfortunate that physics classes have changed in the last 45 years because the fundamentals of physics have not. Preserving momentum is key to efficiency in all vehicles. Sure, adding hills changes the equation, but slowing and speeding up are techniques best used on empty roads. I've used them myself on occasion, but that is not "normal" and you will be reducing not only the efficiency of other vehicles on the road, but endangering their lives.

Again, arguments without scientific basis. Hybrids don't get lower EPA ratings on highways because they are hybrids. On flat roads at steady speeds (like EPA rankings), hybrids have no advantage at all over standard cars from a physics standpoint. In fact, many of them do exceed highway mileage of other cars because they have a smaller, more efficient engines, not because they are hybrids. Same engine in the same body with no battery will actually get better mileage because of the reduced weight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a quick update. I reported this to Kia, and received a letter apologizing for the inconvenience, and a $50 gift card.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sure, hypermiling on freeway traffic? That is reckless driving. It certainly is unfortunate that physics classes have changed in the last 45 years because the fundamentals of physics have not. Preserving momentum is key to efficiency in all vehicles. Sure, adding hills changes the equation, but slowing and speeding up are techniques best used on empty roads. I've used them myself on occasion, but that is not "normal" and you will be reducing not only the efficiency of other vehicles on the road, but endangering their lives.

Again, arguments without scientific basis. Hybrids don't get lower EPA ratings on highways because they are hybrids. On flat roads at steady speeds (like EPA rankings), hybrids have no advantage at all over standard cars from a physics standpoint. In fact, many of them do exceed highway mileage of other cars because they have a smaller, more efficient engines, not because they are hybrids. Same engine in the same body with no battery will actually get better mileage because of the reduced weight.
You forgot to add "get off my lawn." Jeez are you really like that in real life. Hypermiling on the freeway is "dangerous" but getting within a second overtake gap of the guy in front of you is perfectly OK? You have issues. As proven by you contradicting yourself above. But you're boring me, so I'll probably just block you instead of trying to teach you basic logic and science.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Kid, I was a physics major. But go ahead, learn me about the new fangled physics they've invented in the last 45 years. Let's cut out the ad hominem attacks, OK? I won't make fun of your physics if you stop being insulting.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts