Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new member picking up an EX Saturday 3/31 I need to understand how to use WAZE as the navigation source. The dealership said it will link to Carplay. Does anyone have experience with this?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Open the app and start navigating. If you have it plugged into a USB port, your will get audio turn by turn. The map will display only on your phone though. If you have an Android phone, you can install an OS fork that will project Waze (or most any app) to the car display.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Waze works through android auto just fine, dont see any reason it wouldnt work from your fruit phone just as well.

Only drawback is that you MUST plug your phone into the USB port and it does not have a very strong recharge signal.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Waze works through android auto just fine, dont see any reason it wouldnt work from your fruit phone just as well.

Only drawback is that you MUST plug your phone into the USB port and it does not have a very strong recharge signal.
The reason is Apple. They don’t allow other navigation apps on CarPlay. But if you run Waze while driving you were hear the audio as stated above... but it won’t display on bm the car’s screen.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

My 2018 charges my fruit phone fine while streaming and running navigation (Google usually).

I don't use Waze because they require always on location tracking and that is a lot creepy. I'm not even sure there is any advantage to Waze as Google Maps uses traffic data from Waze.

I actually find non-Apple maps navigation works better with CarPlay, other than the fact they don't project to the car screen. Lots of glitches and annoyances with CarPlay and Apple Maps I've found. In fact, disabling CarPlay might make Apple Maps more useable (I'd have to make some switch of media I assume on the head unit), but generally I find the UI and the cartography on Google more appealing. No opinion about navigation mistakes, both make plenty of mistakes, sometimes the exact same one.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I did not know that Apple blocks Waze.

I always assumed that Waze was the "go-to" navigation app to use instead of the built in phone one (google maps or apple maps)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Waze works great with Android Auto

My wife and I both are waze users. When we were test driving our Niro we made sure that all our apps worked while plugged in for android auto. Brought our own usb cord and everything.

Waze definitely has android auto support. Whenever i plug into the car, navigation is always set using waze. I find that it's pretty easy to use and even switch between apps.I sometimes switch between google maps and waze to compare routes.

I have come to like that you have to plug in the phone for navigation to show up on the screen. with all the cops around my area, its a miracle that i haven't been pulled over for holding my phone up for navigation in my old car. now i don't have to worry.

I cant speak for apple car play, but android auto works perfectly for me.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I did not know that Apple blocks Waze.

I always assumed that Waze was the "go-to" navigation app to use instead of the built in phone one (google maps or apple maps)
It doesn't block Waze. However CarPlay does not project the app to the console. Neither does stock Android as far as I know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the LX trim on my Kia Niro PHEV. I like that being able to use Google Maps and Android Auto to project the app on the car's display screen is saving me the next trim level (aprox $3,000 more) just to get navigation, power seats and leather trim, all of which I didn't think I needed for my mainly short trips every week.

Android Auto integrates nicely with the Niro's voice recognition systems. I can press the voice button on the steering wheel, say "Navigation" and get the response "Where would you like to go?" and then state where I want to go, and the map display on the dash will present me with the destination, or several destinations that might match what I said, and then off I go.

I have also used Waze and switched between them if I am more interested in what's happening with traffic (accidents, police, detours, etc.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the best smartphone holder for the Niro?

Given that the Waze display must be native at least on an iPhone what is the best holder that
makes the screen most visible to the driver?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Try Amazon. Ones that clip into heating vents appear to be the most popular. The vent in the Niro immediately adjacent to the right of the steering wheel looks well positioned. Others are dashboard or window mounted, both of which could be directly in front of you just above the steering wheel.

I still haven't got around to getting one yet. All types have their own disadvantages in my mind. I'll probably have to try several.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Having both and iPhone and Android. I must say Waze works wonderful with the Niro and Android auto. Apple maps are well, just ok and I couldn't find a way to use Waze using carplay.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just start navigation on the iPhone itself and you will get audio turn by turn directions.

With mine, if I wire my iPhone to the console USB the Carplay icon lights up, thus projecting Carplay from your phone on the Head unit of the factory stereo. Voice commands, navigation, music all show up and it works wonderful. Siri reads text and allows me to reply with good accuracy.

Same is true using the android phone with Android Auto.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bottom line is that us iOS/CarPlay guys are probly stuck with Apple maps ... which I have ignored up till now. Until and IF I get used to that I'm just using the UVO Nav which looks great. However in a comparo of a route that I know the shortcuts to avoid traffic, Waze knew that route and the Niro Nav kept trying to get me on the Freeway too soon. The take away here is that the KIA Nav is not as "smart" as Waze in this real time traffic regard. I should note that I was a very early adopter of Waze and it just works. BUUTTT it's owned by Google so the CarPlay option will probly never work with it. The other option is don't activate CarPlay by using the USB plug. Since I have an iPhone 8 and a NIRO Touring I just place the phone in the wireless charging cradle and just listen to the turn by turn voice. This is not ideal and at best a workaround. In my recently turned in a '15 Ford C-Max (pre CarPlay) I had an on dash phone holder and used a cigarette lighter/USB charger option and just launched the Waze app on the phone. Where it was place on dash I could see and hear it perfectly. I'm thinking of trying to use a dash cradle and plug the iPhone into my charger in the available cigarette lighter options, right next to the USB slot. I don't know but maybe CarPlay won't launch following that route. Will LYK.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sooo answering my own question...yes using a USB charge device in one of the cigarette lighter spigots DOES NOT launch CarPlay. Therefore with the idea of a phone cradle you could use Waze on the phone display and not lock out the phone apps. Like the old days of 2015 :}= My next problem is finding a cradle that doesn't have a suction cup that leaves a slimy kind spot on the dash. I'm in Cali where you could technically get a ticket attaching to the front windshield. I've tried some of the AC vent options and we have one in my wife's SUBI but I think it sucks, and it's the best of the 3 I tried. I turned my leased C-Max in with the above mentioned ring on the dash and Ford didn't mention it so who knows where KIA stands on this kind of thing, it's not actually damage. I do see that Amazon has a newer version of the iOttie that I used for years that has an additional pad that's supposed to help this kinda thing. ???

·
Registered
219 Posts
You don’t need to avoid hooking it to CarPlay. You can hook it in and still launch Waze on the phone screen using a holder.

The only downside is if you domsomething with CarPlay the phones screen will change. But once you’re done setting whatever it is up you can go back to waze and your music or podcast or whatever will continue through CarPlay. And you can make phone calls with CarPlay too.

That’s what I do. One tip though is to avoid the screen changing you can use the voice command button on the steering wheel and ask it to send a message, make a call, etc. Then Siri will come up and do what you ask but the screen on the phone won’t change away from waze.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts