Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
166 Posts
Here is some interesting information related to the speedometer following a tire size change.
Would appreciate your comments as to its applicability for the Kia Niro.

1. Be sure to reprogram your OBDII system when changing tire size.
How to Reprogram a Computer When Changing Tire Size

2. If your car has a digital speedometer, it can be recalibrated for a different tire size.
I doubt that is as simple as it appears. Likely an expensive "recalibrator tool" and may be illegal in some states/countries.
For a very slight tire size difference, I would not worry about it, but in following this thread theme, the change would be excessive - like 15% plus...

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
166 Posts
$74 for a spacer lift vs $74000 for a new Jeep

Wonder which one is more practical?
Not comparing apples to apples!! Niro with spacers will never compare to a Jeep o_O
A RAV4 hybrid would be similar to Niro with more ground clearance and it would be practical.
It would obviously cost more than the Niro but offers more??
I prefer the Niro (without spacers) but to each his own...

·
Registered
106 Posts
As I have stated on this forum too many times , We switched from 18 to 16 on our Niro Hev . On the highway when I'm cruising at a set 105 kph on cruise the waze fluctuates between 102 and 103 ? That doesn't bother me .

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
166 Posts
As I have stated on this forum too many times , We switched from 18 to 16 on our Niro Hev . On the highway when I'm cruising at a set 105 kph on cruise the waze fluctuates between 102 and 103 ? That doesn't bother me .
I'm not sure where your post fits into the thread
Are you stating that switching from 18 to 16 did or didn't change your speedo?
The overall diameter of your wheels is the same so no difference on the speedo. The difference in speedo occurs when there is a change in diameter and subsequently circumference of the tire.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm not sure where your post fits into the thread
Are you stating that switching from 18 to 16 did or didn't change your speedo?
The overall diameter of your wheels is the same so no difference on the speedo. The difference in speedo occurs when there is a change in diameter and subsequently circumference of the tire.
The 16's I put on the car are .3 inches smaller diameter than the stock 18's that came on the car . That's according to Tire Rack . Thats slightly more than one percent . They are Yokohama Ascend tires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The OP was trying to deliberately raise the car, so we are not talking about subtle differences between tire sizes. OEMs frequently change from say, a 215/50-16 from a 215/55-15 or somesuch

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm saying that changing from 16 to 18 there is no significant change in my case almost a third of an inch will change the speedo slightly . It won't give the desired lift alone .

21 - 28 of 28 Posts