Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - does anyone know why there is a weight limit of 130lbs for the trunk? I didn't realize this until a few months after we bought the car and moved the rubber pad in the trunk to vacuum. It seems like a trip to Costco or a weekend getaway could be more that 130lbs without filling the trunk completely.

I'm curious if owners are abiding by this limit or just going about their usual business and not considering it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I think that weight limit is for the base trim only. In any case, little harm will be done by putting more weight on. You can also reinforce it with some plywood. I'm replacing mine with half inch plywood after removing the rear seats. Will be sleeping in the back on occasion - 180 pounds, plus another 100 pounds on road trips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I wonder why there is a weight limit in the first place? I was concerned it had to do w/ the battery. I saw the vent on the rear seat behind the driver and read that nothing should cover that because of air flow for the battery. That started me thinking about other things I should be aware of w/ having a hybrid...

Good luck with camping - that's ambitious in the Niro!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don't see you having any problems so long as the weigh is distributed evenly. Plywood is a great idea and its probably also worth considering to inflate the tires a little more as well.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I wonder why there is a weight limit in the first place? I was concerned it had to do w/ the battery. I saw the vent on the rear seat behind the driver and read that nothing should cover that because of air flow for the battery.
No weight limit for the rear seats. You can put two three hundred pound people on them if you wish. Battery is directly below the rear seats, not under the cargo area in the HEV. All that can happen with too much weight in the rear is distorting or damaging the cover and perhaps the styrene inserts if you have them. You can probably get an instant load upgrade by putting in a full size spare. That will support the cargo cover where it is least supported now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts