Kia Niro Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Better yet, I drove my Niro home after work. Yes, I work nights.
It was only a 15 mile trip, stopping for some groceries we needed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you have any issues with the back dome light bulb not working with a LED replacement bulb? I tried 2 different style LED bulbs and neither would light up. I know the fixture is ok as the OEM bulb works fine. I replaced the front map lights and the rear license plate lights with LED and they are great. I had read somewhere that some vehicles may have issue with LED because of sensors built into the system to detect bulb outages and such.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you have any issues with the back dome light bulb not working with a LED replacement bulb? I tried 2 different style LED bulbs and neither would light up. I know the fixture is ok as the OEM bulb works fine. I replaced the front map lights and the rear license plate lights with LED and they are great. I had read somewhere that some vehicles may have issue with LED because of sensors built into the system to detect bulb outages and such.
late and also a bit of a silly question, but did you try rotating the LED bulb? If i remember correctly LED bulbs have polarity while regular halogen does not, so the rotation of the bulb is important.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Washed it and gave it a finishing spray all over. Not sure if the dealer or factory actually waxed it or just hit it with a cheesy spray wax, so I haven't decided whether to get the real deal yet (just over two weeks of possession).

·
Super Moderator
503 Posts
Im curious why switch out to LED bulbs? For longevity, or do they look cooler in some way?
I can't comment on everyone's case, but the most often reasons given are:

1. the LED bulbs can be brighter. Less Yellow, Cast longer down the road ahead of you.
2. the LED bulbs consume less electricity. Think of the Niro as an EV that has a gas powered generator inside it. If you can save power on your lights, you can drive further.
3. LED lights might last longer. I don't know how true this is, but I doubt that anyone other than the few here that have put over 150,000 miles on their car will have burnt out the factory orginals.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been doing some initial testing of winter economy mods. This mod has been super cheap(practically free), has shown positive results, and is a non-permanent addition that can be removed/reinstalled in about 5 minutes or less.

I have taken rubber foam pipe insulation pieces and "stuffed" them into the front lower grill of my touring niro. I cut a small slit where the vertical cross bars are for the foam to sit more flush. I don't think this looks all that bad either, and I am pleased with how quickly I can remove it. no zip ties or any hardware or adhesive was needed. they have all stayed in place through over 400 miles of driving, and a couple quick spray downs in a self serve car wash bay with power washer and normal hose.

Did this for a couple reasons. Hopes for increased aero, and reduce the amount of time the ICE comes on for heat. outside temps have been below 40 degrees F for the last few weeks.

I have noticed that the ICE doesn't need to come on near as much, temp readings are very steady, and I have even seen an increase in fuel economy. More testing and data collection is needed, but it appears that I have added about 2-4 MPG, depending on traffic, to my normal commute. I have to say, for something I didn't really spend any money on, I am SUPER pleased with the results.

Let me know what you think
IMG_1103[1].JPG

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nice, very creative idea, thanks for sharing it. :geek: We look forward to what else you might come up with!
What size foam pipe did you use?
Did you split it or just stuff intact rounds in?

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
@MIKES93TURBO, What a cool ideal! tell me, Like @Dovidan sait, what is the size of the hose that you have installed ? i could try it and see if in our north winter weather, this could really help with the ICE always running up for heat!

@Dovidan, it looks like he cut the pipe in half!

·
Super Moderator
503 Posts
Yes. My father did that 7-8 years ago with his first Toyota Prius. I think that made it's rounds for a bit. The concept it quite solid. Just make sure to remove them when the temperature starts to go up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
[QUOTE="MIKES93TURBO, post: 80418, member: 10131"

Let me know what you think
[/QUOTE]

Good idea! VW TDI guys have been doing something similar for years for the same reason. Keeping heat in the engine is important when it's cold and it's as efficient as the Niro's is. Not just for cabin heat either, when the ICE needs to run for traction it will be more efficient if its close to its optimum operating temp. I'd be interested to know if there is a measurable increase in MPG as a result.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Looks like no harm and possibly some good. The car comes with active grill shutters already but taking a quick look today in daylight, I couldn't quite see how much coverage they offer. I'll have to take a look before the engine is warm.

·
Registered
293 Posts
so you’re blocking the grill of a car that already has active grill shutters? doesn’t seem like a good idea. Kia has sophisticated parameters set for when the shutters should be open and when they should be closed. they take all sorts of variables into consideration like air/engine running temperature, heating or A/C use, vehicle speed, etc. stuffing in foam may cause unintended consequences.

·
Registered
30 Posts
so you’re blocking the grill of a car that already has active grill shutters? doesn’t seem like a good idea. Kia has sophisticated parameters set for when the shutters should be open and when they should be closed. they take all sorts of variables into consideration like air/engine running temperature, heating or A/C use, vehicle speed, etc. stuffing in foam may cause unintended consequences.
To prevent foreign objects from entering the not so easy to access or clean radiator and shutters space, I have installed a cut to fit alumin(i)um screen over the lower air intake. While it will only minimally affect the airflow, the screen will prevent small debris, rocks, leaves and most "bugs" from reaching the radiator. After 30000 miles I have not experienced any problems with the screen, only the cheap plastic I have put on the edge around the RADAR window got "sandblasted" away.
Please see the attached picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
To prevent foreign objects from entering the not so easy to access or clean radiator and shutters space, I have installed a cut to fit alumin(i)um screen over the lower air intake. While it will only minimally affect the airflow, the screen will prevent small debris, rocks, leaves and most "bugs" from reaching the radiator. After 30000 miles I have not experienced any problems with the screen, only the cheap plastic I have put on the edge around the RADAR window got "sandblasted" away.
Please see the attached picture.
This seems reasonable. You’re not really restricting the airflow in anyway so the shutters will be able to operate as they were intended.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I doubt that the active grill shutters are designed for the possibility of minus zero Fahrenheit conditions. That said, the poster is from mid-state NY, not usually a place of extreme weather. Still, I doubt that such a mod would harm the car in the winter - that should lie within the normal cooling system parameters (mimicking a higher temperature).

MPG contests often involve extra insulation on the engines as preserving heat is critical to efficiency, but their pulse and glide techniques are also unlikely to overheat the engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
WOW! so many responses! I wasn't expecting to get such a interest. As was posted earlier from a couple of other members, yes this idea has been around for quite a long time with other vehicles(vw's and prius). I'll have to take another look at the size I picked up, the place where I work had a bunch of different sizes available in scrap, so I grabbed one that looked to be the right size just by eyeballing it and tried it out. they are inserted in whole, not cut in half @Dovidan and @lafe005 though I did just make a small cut on the back to allow clearance over the vertical cross bars. Ill try to post more pictures when I can.

Also, as was said, this is just for the cooler months, not for year round. so @TheSilverFlash, I don't think that this quickly removable mod will have any effect on the parameters for the shutters. Also, as seen in the picture, there is a couple of windows left open intentionally to still allow some cooler air to enter as a precautionary measure, in addition to the upper grill opening(tiger nose area).

For those interested though, I have still had no issues running the car in highway AND city traffic, temps on gauge cluster and scanner(hooked up via OBD2) never move above their normal operating range, grill shutters are unobstructed in their movement, and ambient temps have ranged from 20-50 degrees F.

MPGs have steadily been improved anywhere from 2-4mpgs, engine warms up much quicker on a cold morning.

This all being said, brings me to an interesting question. has anyone seen a video of the active grill shutters in operation on the niro specifically? just curious if anybody has tried to capture that...

·
Registered
293 Posts
@MIKES93TURBO I watched this video by Toyota on YouTube about their active grill shutters. They used the Prius as their showcase for it. That video convinced me that if the Kia shutters operate similarly, then I would never ever block off the grill because of how sophisticated the shutters are. Your use cases and reasons for blocking the grill have already been accounted for by the algorithm.

But hey, you guys continue with the experiment. You do you. I’m going to stay over here and let the shutters do their thing unimpeded.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts