Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are seriously considering buying or leasing a 2018 Kia Niro — we love its fuel efficiency and smaller carbon footprint, like its style and space. One worry that's come up in doing our research is about the braking.

The Edmunds review says, "Under panic braking, the pedal goes to the floor and the test-best stopping distance from 60 mph at 129 feet is truck territory. Not good."

What is your experience, Niro drivers? Have you ever been going 60 and slammed on the brakes?

I'd really appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Never had that issue. They frankly feel like normal brakes, very progressive. Eventually you get a feel for the transition between regenerative braking and when the actual brake pads start biting, but it takes a while. I've done a few panic stops already, they were just fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Other than the top of the line Niro hybrid, all the other hybrid trim levels and all PHEV trim levels use low rolling resistance tires....which result in longer stopping distances. Also, the absolute number does not mean much as the “grippiness” of road surfaces varies greatly making comparisons from Tester A to Tester B meaningless. Generally, all hybrids/PHEVs/BEVs braking distances are pretty similar. If you want better handling and shorter stopping distances, it is easy to swap wheels/tires.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Most cars in this group with narrow tires, including the Niro, typically test 60-0 around 124 feet. 118 is on the excellent side, but usually requires wider tires. 129 is simply a test variant. Totally inappropriate to call it truck territory. Some light trucks better that number.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used to have an FJ Cruiser and the brakes were a lot more responsive, so when I test drove the Niro, I thought there was something wrong with the brakes because it took a significantly longer time to come to a stop.. However, since owning it for almost a week, I got into some hairy situations on the freeway, where I had to slam on the brakes.. They work great when you need them to. That's all that matters

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have not experienced that. I hv over 30k on my niro and when you stomp the brakes it nearly stands the niro on its nose.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a '18 EX, just slam on the brakes, this baby stops solid! It's no worse than the Gen II or the Leaf! Go find a deserted toad, get up to 70, hit 'em hard!! You will stop!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Don't think I have had an emergency stop --- I work at keeping a 3 second interval which leaves room for reaction and stopping.

So, I can't say much about the brakes other than for my driving seem OK (That is 14,888 miles).

·
Registered
38 Posts
However, since owning it for almost a week, I got into some hairy situations on the freeway, where I had to slam on the brakes.. They work great when you need them to. That's all that matters
You've had your Niro for less than a week and you've already had "hairy situationS on the freeway "where you had to SLAM on the brakes"? Remind me to never take a ride with you!:eek: I can't remember the last time I've ever had to SLAM on the brakes.

At least the Niro is equipped with an "Emergency Stop Signalling" system which flashes your brake lights and then turns on the 4 way flashers to warn drivers behind you who also like to tailgate. Those flashers automatically turn off when you start moving again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts