Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still on the fence about a Niro. I have been looking around at 2017's thinking about some of the deals that can be had. Now that an EX in white is the cost of an Touring for 2018 I'm thinking I should buy now while there are some 2017 left. My concern is the miles I will put on a daily driver. My HHR has 170,000 on it now. Will I get that out of a Niro with out any big problems (battery) etc? It is also scary seeing the low,low miles on a few used Niros. Somebody is not liking their new Niro.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Have not seen any used ones, heck, I just saw my first Niro that wasn't mine last week.

I think that people that buy a Niro and expect it to be a 55 mpg vehicle without any trade-offs are the ones you see on used car lots. Since I had a hybrid car before the Niro, I know the trade-offs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
No one can guarantee you that on any car. Just because you’re the best hitter in MLB doesn’t mean you won’t have 0 for 5 games. Even the best car makes will have lemons and others that need big repairs before 200K.

That said all the best third party evidence is that late model Kias are highly reliable. I don’t know what others have experienced (this is my first hybrid), but my understanding is it’s not unusual to need a battery replacement sometime short of 200K. I don’t know if that’s more mileage based or time based, but if you buy a hybrid I would do so at least with the expectation that you may need a new battery at some point and that’s ok.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would guess it will be a lot more reliable than a yellow vette, and you won't rip off the lower fascia to the tune of $3k bucks when you pull up to the curb a little too far. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Time is running out for the leftover 2017s. Good luck finding a Touring model, dealers around me seem to have plenty of EX Launch editions but any other 2017 models are starting to disappear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think you are asking a lot for a car out less than a year. Who knows what the reliability is? How could anything we tell you be real? As for used Niros, I've been thinking of trading my Touring in for the PHEV. That would be a car with less than 6000 miles. And sure, I'd think some folks bought and came away disappointed, more than bought and traded in because it was a lemon.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should have moved faster on the 17 touring with 4500 miles that had the engine replaced by Kia for $22,000. I was waiting for a shipping quote from that dealer when someone else bought it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe I'm being optimistic but I think mine is going to last forever, if I can keep the deer and rocks away from it. What I'm saving on fuel I will gladly put into upkeep. I am a travelling nurse and I have put 13000 miles on mine in about 3 months. So far its been super dependable, except for the deer I took out at 3 weeks old, and the crack in my windshield from a dump truck that I have to get fixed. Love everything about this car!!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe I'm being optimistic but I think mine is going to last forever, if I can keep the deer and rocks away from it. What I'm saving on fuel I will gladly put into upkeep. I am a travelling nurse and I have put 13000 miles on mine in about 3 months. So far its been super dependable, except for the deer I took out at 3 weeks old, and the crack in my windshield from a dump truck that I have to get fixed. Love everything about this car!!!
I love your optimism, it makes me want one even more.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Have not seen any used ones, heck, I just saw my first Niro that wasn't mine last week.

I think that people that buy a Niro and expect it to be a 55 mpg vehicle without any trade-offs are the ones you see on used car lots. Since I had a hybrid car before the Niro, I know the trade-offs.
While I only have 200 miles on mine, it really is quite the Hybrid auto. Expecting it to act like a Porsche, is foolish. Having driven a Gen II Prius, I was all set for the Niro. Once you are up to speed, 70mph, I just back off the accelerator just a bit, then the mpg meter shoots up to 50mpg+. I may not be the fastest on the freeway, I don't care!! Hopefully there will be no mechanical problems, if there are, you all will know about them!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
The way I looked at it, I know Kia/Hyundais are reliable. I have an '08 Sonata with 120+k, bought used, that has had no problems. A car company could not come up through through the toughest competitors, against Honda and Toyota to prominence in a decade without good cars. Then you have the super warranty to back you up. 65k for most stuff, 100k for the drivetrain. If something is wrong, it's going to be found by that time. The price is not much more than a basic ICE only compact car. I plan to keep mine well over a decade, like I do all my cars.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used to hunt deer with a rifle but, since I quit buying a hunting license, I've killed three deer on different occasions with three different vehicles. So far, none with the Kia EX but just turned 1,300 miles last week. Guess I'm slowing down in more ways than harvesting deer with a Buick, a GMC truck and a Dodge Rampage.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Lootas1- maybe it's the quietness of the Niro in EV mode. They can't hear it in order to stand there like a deer in headlights.

·
Registered
462 Posts
What are the trade offs of having a hybrid?
The way you drive it.
The lack of V8-like power.
The "not-getting-55-mpg" like it says it would factor.
The lack of storage space.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

These are things that some people just can't seem to understand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Optomism

I travel for a living so I'm basing my belief on past experiences with lesser and greater vehicles. I have been able to get very high mileage out of all my vehicles due to my belief that maintaining everything is the life of a vehicle. Oil changes on time ALWAYS, rotate and balance tires every 6000 miles, never let the shocks get worn completely out, keep everything lubricated. I really believe (from having other Kias) that the quality with which they are built will stand behind my optimism. That and the 200k mile warrantee that mine came with . I will let you know in about 4 years when I run out of warrantee how that is working out for me and if I'm still optimistic. Oh and I will be taking the factory tires off in the spring in favor of some high mileage Pirelli's. Just a personal preference. Cheers and Happy New Year!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts