Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 99 Altima, and a 2000 Town Car....basically, cars made last century.

I am strongly eyeing a Touring model with Advanced Tech package toward the middle of December (saving a 3rd for a down payment with new job I am starting up in the next couple of weeks).

Was wondering what your opinions are of the HIDs over the standard variety.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The HID lights are amazing. I wish they had the turning thing, but they illuminate great. They might be angles a tad high or maybe they are very bright because I get cars flashing me their beams thinking I'm on highs. Plug in will have LED headlights if that's also an option you are interested in and it should be released end of this year or start of next year.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The HID lights are BY FAR the best headlights I have ever seen and I've owned 10+ cars over the last 25 years. I haven't had to turn my brights on yet, even on dark unlit roads.

·
Registered
23 Posts
They are bright, for sure. The factory alignment is too high; I had to angle mine down. But I have an EX with custom aftermarket 5000k 65W HID installed to replace the awful stock halogens. All I can say is that mine are noticeably brighter, but less bluish-white, than the ones that come on the Touring edition when I went to a lot and compared. I love the solenoid high beams too, makes it so that both high and low use the same bulb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They are bright, for sure. The factory alignment is too high; I had to angle mine down. But I have an EX with custom aftermarket 5000k 65W HID installed to replace the awful stock halogens. All I can say is that mine are noticeably brighter, but less bluish-white, than the ones that come on the Touring edition when I went to a lot and compared. I love the solenoid high beams too, makes it so that both high and low use the same bulb.
Did you install an aftermarket HID bulb in the stock EX projector? How is it holding up? I am considering upgrading to either HID or LED bulbs but not sure how they look down road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you install an aftermarket HID bulb in the stock EX projector? How is it holding up? I am considering upgrading to either HID or LED bulbs but not sure how they look down road.
Yes. I already had two ballasts from my HID setup in my old car, but not the right bulbs. So I got a pair of 65w 5000k HB4 (I believe that's what the EX comes with) on eBay and some computer error warning cancellors to prevent flickering. Installation was not too difficult; the wiring can get clunky around the headlight housing since there isn't much space. I had to get the warning cancellors because the right side bulb kept flickering.

They are insanely bright... no joke. They project a cool X-shaped pattern when the high beam shield is opened, and in LA smog air, you can actually see the beam reflecting off the dust it's so bright and focused. The projectors in this car are bigger and much better than my old Honda's; they really put a bright spot right in the center that goes at least 500ft down the road.

Do Not get LED bulbs for this car - the projector housing is designed to focus light coming from a pinpoint source in the center of the bulb, which only halogen and Xenon bulbs give. LEDs have a broader, less focused bulb design and will not appear bright (trust me, I tried some).

On the contrary, I got four LED turn signal bulbs and some load resistors, and they are ridiculously bright and crisp. Installation however took all day and isn't for the faint of heart; this is due to the load resistors being able to melt plastic in the car if they touch them and thus wire splicing and soldering needed to install.

Reactions: badyellowvette

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just make sure you buy HID's from a reputable brand since there are a lot that sell bad HID's. I think retrofit source is a good place to find more information about the different HID's out there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone, I bought HID lights from Xenon Pro for fog lights and headlights. The anti flicker harnesses turn off the headlight bulbs, but without the anti flicker harness, they run will flicker from time to time.
Fog lights: turn on for 5 seconds then shut themselves off, they even triple red a check engine light. They were not installed with the anti flicker harnesses by the garage I went to, so I have them constantly off.

I’ve had conflicting reports from xenon pro support, one saying to disable the DRL and the other other to get a relay harness.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts